Con season is here! Whether it’s your first or twenty-first, small-scale or SDCC-massive, we hope your con experiences are spectacular. To help get you through it, we’re speaking with congoers from all different places to share their top five con essentials. To see the whole series, check out the tag #What’s in My Bag.
Elizabeth Minkel & Flourish Klink — co-hosts of Fansplaining
Elizabeth Minkel (@elizabethminkel) is a journalist who writes about fan culture. Flourish Klink (@flourish) does audience research for major media franchises. Together they co-host Fansplaining (@fansplaining), a bi-weekly podcast that explores what it means to be a fan—or a part of fandom—through conversations with writers, academics, fan creators, people from the entertainment industry, and more. As SDCC veterans, these are the five things they agree you need at any con:
- A spare battery. “Hall H is like a black hole that consumes no matter, only energy, specifically the energy stored in your cell phone battery. Be wilier than a black hole and never experience the despair of a dead phone.”
- Sewing kit and stain remover. “‘What am I, a grandma?’ you scoff. Then, you remember grandmas are good, and also ANGELS OF MERCY to cosplayers who have suffered costume malfunctions. Or to people who partied a little too hard and got nacho cheese down their white shirt, which they must wear for the next 10 hours lest they lose their spot in line.”
- A sweater. “We have never known a winter like air-conditioned Southern California in July.”
- Sunscreen. “You might think that you are going for a quick jaunt behind the convention center, or maybe you want to take a few minutes to gaze thoughtfully at the sparkling bay while you contemplate what panel to attend, and instead you will step outside and are trapped in THE ENDLESS RELENTLESS DIRECT SUNLIGHT BEATING DOWN ON YOUR NOSE, SHOULDERS, AND ALL OTHER PARTS THAT ARE NOT COVERED BY YOUR NOT-PARTICULARLY-BREATHABLE SAILOR MOON COSPLAY. No matter what you will feel like you are walking through the desert for 1,000 years, but at least you can rest easy knowing you will not burn.”
- A sharpie. “You never know when you’ll need a celebrity to sign your…body.”
Thank you to Elizabeth and Flourish for sharing your con must-haves!
Tumblr, If you’re attending SDCC, you should know Fansplaining will be hosting a panel on Friday, titled “Don’t Dream It’s Over: What Fandoms Do When Long-Running Stories End.” On Saturday, they will also be hosting their second-annual Fansplaining meetup at 6 p.m. at the Marriott Marquis pool bar. Honestly, you can probably find them there whenever they’re not inside the convention center.
Not attending SDCC? We can be your eyes and ears. Follow our SDCC2019 coverage here on @fandom as well as Tumblr’s Instagram and Twitter to watch all the action!