Said is dead (Remember that you can use said, don’t use it to less.)
Zen writer ; writing without distractions (Might not be free after a while)
Feel free to add more!
For future use 👌
Medusa wasn’t Cursed with Snake Hair and Scales.
She Already had Snake Hair and Scales and was still the hottest lady the Gods have ever seen.
To be fair Medusa is supposedly one of the three Gorgon sisters, so it makes sense that there would be a family resemblance
Yeah that’s why I had to post this
I’ve read too many stories where it’s like “she’s a Gorgon” then near the end of the story they say “she was cursed with snake hair and features”
And I’m just like “…Wait.”
I think the only thing she was truly cursed with were the eyes that turn people to stone
someone draw beautiful medusa with scales and snake hair before being cursed p le a s e
I already had a little idea in my head so…
The men yell, “she’s a monster! She should be hunted down and killed”. They’ve said it before, they’ve tried it before. She steals women and devours them, the men yell. “She comes in the night and takes women away when they’re on a half-awake wander to the chamber pot or a drink of water. She steals them away to her lair and devours them whole. Why else do women not return?”
The women whisper, “she’s a savior. She should be sought for sanctuary and love.” They whisper it around the well whenever they see the shadows of a bruise on their friends’ bodies. Whenever someone who once was vivacious and bright is now dull and flinches from friendly touches. “Go in the night,” they say, “when he’s so drunk he sleeps heavily. Take only what he won’t notice is missing. Don’t worry about clothes or food, she will provide. You will be cared for. Why would you want to return?”
She says, “welcome home. You will be safe here,” with a soft smile and softer eyes. The snakes that curl around her head are more colors than you’ve ever seen in your life. She tilts her head as she takes in your bundle of precious items, the bruises on your arm, your face, around your neck. A cloud passes over her face and the sun, and you see the snakes are black. The look passes, the cloud moves away, the sun strikes the snakes again and they’re a shifting array of colors again. “Come, meet your sisters,” she says, gesturing as she turns and you look to see dozens of women coming out of the cave, smiling and happy. The group comes forward, splitting to either side of you, leaving a path to the cave and a path behind you leading back. “Welcome, you’re safe.” You step forward, peace settling into your heart. You will never return.
I love these stories about Medusa that go against the common myths
The men at the drinking party sat around laughing at the younger man. “You mean to tell us that a woman was beating her husband? Ha! What a jokester you are.”
“You are probably just too embarrassed to admit you got that black eye from doing something stupid.”
“Besides even if you were telling the truth, just be a man and fight back! Or have you no guts at all? We all know your wife is a spitfire but she is still a woman, and you are a man.”
The young man was used to these responses from the older men of the village, to the point that his heart was turned to stone from it. His wife, whom he had been arranged to marry, was not like most of the other women he had met in his life. She was cruel and truly wicked and often drunk. She took advantage of the young man’s youth and lack of experience. Even if the people thought that she was a weak woman, she knew that she was stronger than her young husband, who had less strength than a hungry dog. And of course, no one would believe that a woman could overpower a young man like that.
On this day however, the young man decided to take a chance. He approached the well where he had often seen one woman in particular talking to the women who had vanished only a day or two before then, and she was there today.
“Excuse me. I have a quick question for you.”
The woman, who was just pulling her bucket out of the well turned to him somewhat surprised. “Yes?”
“Is…is it true…what the women whisper about the Gorgon in the woods…that…she helps women whose husbands beat them?”
The woman seemed suspicious of him at first, “Where did you hear that?”
“I just…” the man looked around nervously before removing the bandages from his face to show her his purple-ringed eye and swollen lip.
The woman hesitated before repeating the words she often did to many others, “ Go in the night,” she said, “when he-…she is so drunk he sleeps heavily. Take only what she won’t notice is missing. Don’t worry about clothes or food, she will provide. You will be cared for. Why would you want to return?”
Before the young man could even thank her, his wife stormed up behind him, “What are you doing talking to another woman!?”
The young man hesitated before the woman at the well said, “He saw me struggling with my bucket and came to help me. Nothing more.”
“I see.” his wife grumbled, clearly still skeptical.
A few nights later, the young man fled. He was quiet and stealthy, until he got to the forest, where he quickly pushed forward into a sprint. He ran and ran, doing his best to remember the directions to the place that promised safety.
Once at last he came across the cave, he stood panting at its mouth before taking his first steps in. He soon found himself in a big lit chamber, women whom he had recognized as from his same village sat around. Some drinking and eating, others playing games, others braiding each other’s hair. But when he entered, they all looked up at him, some in surprise, others in shock, or fear.
“What is a man doing here?” they whispered, “Has the village sent a mercenary after Medusa?” “Are we no longer safe here?” the whispers grew into an almost deafening cacophony of the same hopelessness he felt back in the village. Surely, he thought, these women who are fearful of their husbands would not want to welcome a man among them. Perhaps I should have stayed at home, and let them be.
However, when he turned to leave, he found himself face to face with the gorgon woman. Her eyes seemed to pierce deep into his very soul, as if to weed through the annals of his true self.
His mind raced, trying to think of what to say to defend himself against this protector of women, to justify his entrance into this blessed sanctuary for the broken and beaten. But before he could part his lips, she spoke.
“Fear not my sisters. Look upon the wounds on his face. He too has come hear for safety from violence. Look into his eyes. He is afraid and hurt, as many of you were when you first came to me. Young man, you are welcome here, for this is a place of safety from cruelty. I know all too well that the hardships of life do not discriminate those of whom they strike against. Come, to your new home, and meet your sisters. Come and be safe.”
She gently took his bundles and began to carry them away, and when she looked back at him to see if he was following, he felt her eyes peer deep inside him, and begin to shed away the stone that had encased his heart.
(I hope you like this addition because male abuse victims also need happy endings.)
Oh my gosh…
This is such a beautiful and tearjerking addition
Send an Emoji to the Writer!
Send one and I’ll respond with something about my WIP!
💪 — Who’s the strongest character physically?
🥺 — Who’s the strongest character emotionally?
🤐 — Who’s the quietest character?
💬 — Who’s the most talkative character?
👑 — Any members of royalty in your WIP?
🤕 — Which haracter ends up the most bruised (physically and/or emotionally)?
😤 — Which character is the feistiest?
🤫 — Which character is keeping secrets…?
😈 — Which character is the villain and/or antagonist?
🐶 — Which character is the most loyal?
👋🏻 — Which character is the most approachable?
🥳 — Are any of your characters a party animal?
🐣— Which character is the youngest?
🦖 — Which character is the oldest?
🦀 — Which character is the crabbiest/complains the most?
🦊 — Which character is the most clever?
🤣 — Which character is the comedic relief?
🌩 — Do any of your characters have elemental abilities?
🍗 — Are any of your characters the chef of the cast?
🌷 — Do any of your characters have a green thumb?
💍 — Are any characters in your WIP married?
The queen sits on her throne of bones, with fire in her eyes and a sword at her side. The king stands before her, with steel in his gaze and an axe in his hand.
An age old question: unstoppable object against immovable force.
Who will win?
I need more writeblrs to follow!
with so many people leaving tumblr for other platforms, my dash has gone pretty dead and i’m having a lot of trouble finding content to reblog.
reblog this if you:
- are primarily a writing blog
- are a book blog
- post writing resources
- post writing tips
- post about your own stories/ocs/etc.
me: okay time to jump into the action scene
me: don’t say it
me: don’t say it
me: don’t say it
me: don’t say it
me: don’t say it
me: don’t say it
me: don’t say it
me: don’t say it
me: … “SUDDENLY”
My go-to fixes for this:
- but before [Character] could [verb], ACTION!
- [Character] was about to [verb] when ACTION!
- but no sooner had [something] than ACTION!
- but just as [something boring], ACTION!
- BANG!/CRASH!/BOOM! ACTION!
- “Character dialogue starting some sentence about–” ACTION!
- Character’s internal monologue starting some sent– ACTION!
- Narrator starting some– ACTION!
- … ACTION!
Why extend your readers the courtesy of a ‘suddenly’ except to vary sentence structure?
I am a simple writer with simple needs, and one of those needs was this scene.
“Nice ride.” Liz whistled, eyeing up the bright red sports car appreciatively. “I have no idea how you managed to pay for it.”
Loki laughed. Then frowned. “Oh. You’re serious?”
Her laughter died in her throat. “Shit, Loki. Did you steal this?”
“First of all, stealing implied that I took it without asking.” Loki raised his eyebrows. “I asked. The guy said no, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that I asked.”
Liz put her face in her hands.
“Hey, hey, don’t worry, we’ll return it — after we take it for a spin.” Loki grinned, the ever-present mischief in his eyes lighting up his whole face. Liz peeked through her fingers suspiciously. “Come on. It’ll be fun.”
She thought about it for a solid three seconds. “We’ll return it.”
Loki whooped when Liz got in the passenger seat, turning the radio up loud, and they zoomed down the road with ACDC’s Highway to Hell playing like an anthem.
“THIS THING’S TOP SPEED IS THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY-NINE KILOMETRES PER HOUR!” Loki shouted, his words snatched away by the wind. “I THINK WE SHOULD TEST THAT!”
The beautiful Italian countryside became a blur, with Liz cheering as Loki coaxed the car faster and faster and—
(Not the mermaid sirens. Police sirens.)
Loki swore and glanced back, moving his hands on the wheel slightly and accidentally spinning the car out of control. They crashed into the cliff and the airbags flew out, softening the impact. Liz groaned, looking at Loki, who was still grinning. He looked rather exhilarated by the whole thing.
“Hands by your head!” One officer yelled, getting out of his car. Loki complied with a smirk, and Liz grudgingly followed.
“What seems to be the problem, officer?” Loki asked innocently, the smirk changing to a sunny smile.
“Are you insane?” The officer growled.
Loki shrugged. “A little. Why?”
“You just ruined a very expensive car.”
“Oh, don’t worry about that.” Loki unbuckled his seatbelt and stood, hopping out of the car, and Liz quickly followed. “It’s not mine.”
Hey y’all!!! I can’t believe that I’m at 300 this is terrifying but also amazing (I meant to do a thank you at 100 and 200 but forgot rip)
Thank you guys so much!!!
- “Come over here and make me.”
- “Have you lost your damn mind!?”
- “Please, don’t leave.”
- “Do you…well…I mean…I could give you a massage?”
- “Wait a minute. Are you jealous?”
- “Is there a reason you’re naked in my bed?”
- “I almost lost you.”
- “Wanna bet?”
- “Don’t you ever do that again!”
- “Teach me how to play?”
- “Don’t you dare throw that snowba-, goddammit!”
- “I think we need to talk.”
- “Kiss me.”
- “Hey, I’m with you, okay? Always.”
- “So, I found this waterfall…”
- “It could be worse.”
- “Looks like we’ll be trapped for a while…”
- “This is without a doubt the stupidest plan you’ve ever had. Of course I’m in.”
- “The paint’s supposed to go where?”
- “You need to wake up because I can’t do this without you.”
- “We’re in the middle of a thunderstorm and you wanna stop and feel the rain?”
- “I’ve seen the way you look at me when you think I don’t notice.”
- “Just once.”
- “You’re the only one I trust to do this.”
- “I can’t believe you talked me into this.”
- “I got you a present.”
- “I’m pregnant.”
- “Marry me?”
- “I thought you were dead.”
- “It’s not what it looks like…”
- “You lied to me.”
- “I think I’m in love with you and I’m terrified.”
- “Please don’t do this.”
- “If you keep looking at me like that we won’t make it to a bed.”
- “You heard me. Take. It. Off.”
- “I wish I could hate you.”
- “Wanna dance?”
- “You fainted…straight into my arms. You know, if you wanted my attention you didn’t have to go to such extremes.”
- “Hey! I was gonna eat that!”
- “Have I entered an alternate universe or did you really just crack a smile for me?”
- “You did all of this for me?”
- “I swear it was an accident.”
- “YOU DID WHAT?!”
- “If you die, I’m gonna kill you.”
- “Tell me a secret.”
- “Hey, have you seen the..? Oh.”
- “No one needs to know.”
- “Well this is awkward…”
- Writer’s preference
I went scouting through the internet for words to describe a character’s voice. Here’s a handy list for all you writers:
- Adenoidal/Nasal - Some of the sound seems to come through the nose.
- Appealing - Shows that you want help, approval, or agreement.
- Breathy - With loud breathing noises.
- Brittle - You sound as if you are about to cry.
- Croaky - Sounds as if they have a sore throat.
- Dead - They feel or show no emotion.
- Disembodied - Voice comes from someone who you cannot see.
- Flat - Spoken in a voice that does not go up and down.
- Fruity - Deep and strong in a pleasant way.
- Grating - Unpleasant and annoying.
- Gravelly - Low and rough.
- Gruff - Has a rough low sound.
- Guttural - Deep and made at the back of your throat.
- High-Pitched - Very high and shrill.
- Hoarse - Low rough voice, usually because their throat is sore.
- Honeyed - Falsely sweet voice.
- Husky - A husky voice is deep and sounds hoarse often in an attractive way.
- Low - Quiet and difficult to hear / in a deep voice.
- Matter-of-fact - Used about someone’s behavior or voice.
- Modulated - Controlled and pleasant to listen to.
- Monotonous - Boring because it does not change in loudness or become higher or lower.
- Orotund - Loud and clear.
- Penetrating - So high or loud that it makes you uncomfortable.
- Plummy - This word shows that you dislike people who speak like this.
- Quietly - In a quiet voice.
- Raucous - Loud and sounds rough.
- Ringing - very loud and clear.
- Rough - Not soft and is unpleasant to listen to.
- Shrill - Very loud, high, and unpleasant.
- Silvery - Clear, light, and pleasant.
- Singsong - Rises and falls in a musical way.
- Small - A small voice or sound is quiet.
- Smoky - Sexually attractive in a slightly mysterious way.
- Softly Spoken - A quiet gentle voice.
- Sotto Voce - A very quiet voice.
- Stentorian - Loud and severe.
- Strangulated - One that someone stops before they finish making it.
- Strident - Loud and unpleasant.
- Taut - Shows someone is nervous or angry.
- Thick - Voice sounds less clear because of an emotion.
- Thin - High and unpleasant to listen to.
- Throaty - Low and seems to come from deep in your throat.
- Tight - Shows that you are nervous or annoyed.
- Toneless - Does not express any emotion.
- Tremulous - It is not steady because you are afraid or excited.
- Wheezy - Has difficulty breathing.
- Wobbly - Unstable tone due to fright or emotions.
Despite the fact that I am not deaf, mute, or blind myself, one of the most common questions I receive is how to portray characters with these disabilities in fiction.
As such, I’ve compiled the resources I’ve accumulated (from real life deaf, mute, or blind people) into a handy masterlist.
Dialogue with signing characters (also applies to mute characters.)
I recently discovered the youtube channel of the amazing Jessica Kellgren-Fozard, a vintage-loving, lesbian, happily married queen, who talks about her deafness in many of her videos. I can’t recommend her enough.
Characters Who Are Blind in One Eye
If you have any more resources to add, let me know! I’ll be adding to this post as I find more resources.
I hope this helps, and happy writing! <3
Also, a little note for all writeblrs who stumble across this blog!
- You are always free to message me.
- You are always free to ask me about my WIP.
- You are always free to ask me to look into your WIP.
- You are always free to message me about things that are unrelated to writing.
- You are always free to ask to be mutuals.
- You are always free to tag me in content.
- You are always free to create something related to my WIP; no need to ask permission to draw characters.
3. 3 fears
okay this is hard because I’m afraid of,,, everything,,, so the top three are:
Okay so when I was a child (like 8) I was reading YA stuff because it was “way more interesting” and I understood all the words. I should not have been reading YA stuff. I read this book:
Don’t get me wrong, it’s amazing! I was totally hooked! It’s a Victorian gothic thriller about (from what I remember) a creepy puppetmaster turning real people into puppets! And there were things called “deathmasks”! And it terrified the shit out of me! But I still kept reading it! Because I’m a dumbass!
So now I have an irrational fear of puppets and masks.
Being in an unfamiliar place for too long with no way of getting back to what’s familiar.
Wow we went from “irrational” to “anxiety”, 0–100 real quick!!! I’m kind of introverted and shy around people I don’t know and I’m a picky eater and therefore if I don’t know the people I’m with or the food in the meals I get stressed and it’s terrifying.
Walking into an exam and knowing nothing.
IN ALL FAIRNESS TO ME this has only happened ONCE. Last year in my Physics exam (which I studied for for THREE DAYS STRAIGHT) I felt like I knew literally nothing at all. There were three questions and I could not fully answer any of them. I basically only wrote down formulas and measurements and couldn’t actually work any of it out. Like:
me: ok this question is about force. i can work out the force with mass x acceleration
me: …there’s no mass
me: uhh okay I’ll just swap out acceleration with gravity
me: there’s… there’s no gravity
me: *screaming internally* cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
I literally sobbed through that paper. This supervisor had to give me a single tissue but by that time there were already silent tears pouring down my face and all over my hands and I just looked at her like “ma’am we are going to need a lot more than one tissue”. Rip.
Surprisingly, I did not fail that exam (I have no idea how I passed like wtf… they either lowered the cut score or pitied me greatly).
Unsurprisingly, I dropped Physics.
20. First thing I notice in a new person
Hmm. It’d be to do with their face, probably. Like “WHOA THEIR EYES ARE COOL AS SHIT” or “aww they have such cute freckles” or “their whole face lights up when they smile that’s adorable” so… yeah idk sorry
49. Am I excited for anything
Is it too emo to say the sweet release of death?
Haha okay in all ~seriousness~ I’m already planning for Uni. I can’t wait to move out of home and into the city (which is technically a familiar environment so I’ll be okay!!!). But since I am Young™ and Full of Youth™ that is still a solid year away (I’ll be at Uni in 2021, hopefully). At university I can level up to Ultra Gay instead of Half In Half Out Of The Closet Gay!!!
The other thing that I’m excited for is visiting my girlfriend for two weeks at the end of the year! It sucks that we live in different countries (New Zealand and America) but I can’t wait to give her an actual hug instead of awkwardly holding my laptop to my chest in a sad attempt at a virtual hug. Sorry, @lost-in-violets.
thanks for the ask!!! this was super fun :D