- éponine’s interactions with cats always involved strays, back when she was living on the street
- cosette always begged éponine to get a cat when they walked by the pet store, but ép always said that if they got a cat it would have to be from a shelter
- one rainy evening, they were both sitting on the couch watching an animated film, when they heard scratching at the back door. éponine got the door, thinking it was going to be grantaire or gavroche playing a prank on her. a kitten barely bigger than her boots huddled on their welcome mat. “éponine, we have to keep him!!” “but cosette…the mud in the house! and i don’t know if we can afford him..” but cosette fits the little guy into their budget and spends the evening getting him clean and warm.
- éponine is peak “i pretend that i don’t want this cat but now i adore him & i will rarely admit it”
- they named the cat rainy (cosette’s idea)
- after having him for a couple of years, éponine surprises cosette (and herself) for her birthday by bringing home another cat from the shelter to keep rainy company
- cosette lets the cats break all kinds of rules (sitting on the couch/climbing on the counter, etc) which makes éponine roll her eyes, but she can’t refuse the face that cosette makes or the purrs that come from the cats when they are all on the couch together
- éponine sends cosette pictures of cats she sees around town on her walk to work because she knows cosette loves it (éponine usually pets the cats that she sees, too)
- éponine teaches the cats to do tricks on the weekends, and always gets excited to show cosette the tricks she taught them.