I mean– how many “!!Joker Real Origin Explained!!” videos are out there acting like they’re special for knowing that the ‘28 Gwynplaine was an inspiration for Mr. J’s look? I’ve counted at least fourteen. Fourteen! So in honour of my favourite actor, here are some things you might not have known about Conrad Veidt.
- He did terribly in school. He graduated high school at the bottom of his class. He didn’t have any particular interests as a teenager, so I suppose school just bored him.
- He starred in the first-ever film to centre around a gay couple! He played a violinist who was blackmailed. The film is called Anders als die Andern (or Different From the Others in English). Unfortunately much of it has been lost, but what remains of it is, as far as I’m aware, available to watch online. For a film made in 1919, it’s very progressive. It portrays homosexual love as being just as valid and valuable as heterosexual love, and also touches a bit on the transgender community (this part is a bit less accurate, but for the time it’s very forward-thinking).
- In the late 1930s/early 1940s he was the highest-paid actor in Germany!
- He was very outspoken against Nazism. When WWII broke out, all actors in Germany were told that they had to support Hitler. Conrad did not do this. In fact, on a census he wrote that he was Jewish– not because he was (he wasn’t), but because his wife Lily was and he wanted to support her. As you can imagine, the Nazis were not very pleased about this and the Gestapo were ordered to assassinate him. Luckily, Conrad and Lily escaped to England.
Ian is simultaneously Lazav’s greatest weapon and his most dangerous weak point. If his husband should ever shake out of his telepathic manipulation he would prove to be the telepath’s downfall. In more ways than one.
006. Moon Dragons
Color: Black and Purple
Markings: Crescent Moons
Habitat: Ozone Layer and Nomadic
Enemies: Flower Dragons
Common Trait: Can turn into a shadow
One of the first eight dragon breeds, Moon Dragons harness their power from the moon, but have always been seen as evil due to their intentions to rule over humans. Moon Dragons seem like a typical enemy breed, though very few are actually evil now. Moon Dragons were thrown into a war with Flower Dragons, not too happy about the breed’s choice, so they decided to hunt down every Flower Dragon existing. During their evil reign, Moon Dragons were led by a dragon known as Stratos. At the war’s end, Stratos disappeared, hopefully permanently. Moon Dragons have shadow fire for their breath element.
- What actor had the task of Educating Rita?
- Who performed naked at Lollapalooza in 1993?
What British band wrote the hit single “Wonderwall”?
Lazav can be quite cynical, mainly because he can see beyond the lies that people tell. When one can look into the minds of others one learns just how depraved people can be. The dirty little secrets they deny even to themselves. Humanity sickens him, because he can see what is under the mask.
Out of ALL pokemon that can be either male or female and that have gender differences in their designs, Meditite and Medicham are THE ONLY ONES whose official, default art belongs to the female of the species rather than the male. Compare the pictures above with the following:
This does have the side effect that when games and sites use the male sprites and models by default, Meditite and Medicham look kind of off, especially Meditite with its ears/hair up there.
New Orleans Fun Fact
Who won the 1994 World Series?