I don’t know if its the location or ADHD but getting a neck tattoo is a special kind of hell
The only king who’s sovereignty I would pledge myself to is dead.
My dog who I’ve had since I was 3 is not going to make it through the year.
Thousands have died for no fucking reason.
And there’s still no change in sight.
I’ve meant this for a while but fuck 2020 I want a god damn refund on this shit show of a year.
I’ve seen a lot of shit in my life but using the murder of Emmett Till to justify not believing rape survivors and having rape investigations lead on the presumption that their lying for personal gain takes the god damn cake. Even though it ruined my mood and probably will for the week to come I know that there is worse out there just waiting to do the same.
How the fuck is this the world we live?
Making a new post cuz that one was getting long lol. Thanks @dads-back-from-the-store!
If you get this, answer with 3 random facts about yourself and send it to the last 7 blogs in your notifications, anonymously or not! Let’s get to know the person behind the blog 💕
- I’m weirdly scared of staircases with gaps between the steps and refused to walk on them till I was in my teens
- In grade one our teacher had us write stories and hung them up outside the class. The principal called me into her office to tell me my story was really good and I still thrive off that feeling of validation
- I’ve been using the same two email addresses for everything for fourteen years now
1. i really fuckin like fountain pens??? i’ve def said this before but they’re just so cool
2. i used to really like origami- they did it at my chinese school, and i just got hella good
3. i have a whiteboard in my room for Plot, Character, and Evil Scheme reasons
1. I really like Pilot G2 07 pens. They were what I wrote with when I used to write stories longhand and I think that their ink is really nice. I prefer the 07 width to 05 because I feel like I can get the old-fashioned blotted ink thing better with it.
2. My Google Chrome shortcuts are organized in rainbow order.
3. I have a painting of the ace flag and an autisticat drawing on the back of my bedroom door, both of which I made myself.
1. Dr pepper is the superior to come and Pepsi, you can’t change my mind
2. I I want a chalkboard in my room for plots
3. I think abt politics daily and I kind of want to make a career out of it, but the stress would kill me at age 40 and I don’t think I would enjoy it,, but I would feel bad if I didn’t because I would feel like I’m not helping enough
1. I once went without sleep for 54 hours and completely crashed on a couch in Sears
2. I read the Hawkeye comics one (1) time and immediately set up an archery club at my school
3. After I watched ATLA when it came out I was CONVINCED that I was a fire bender. I used to set things on fire (not in an arson-y way, just curiosity) and almost burned my face off.
Wow I took fiction wayyyyy too seriously as a kid
+++ tagging +++
1. I like Amazing Spider-Man because it was the first Marvel movie my friend had me watch, so it’s sentimental for me.
2. I don’t like the Hulk, I have personal reasons for it, but don’t tell anyone cause they are always like “What you don’t like him?” or “But Mark Rufflo is a great Bruce Banner”. It’s not that I don’t like Rufflo it’s that I don’t like the character of the Hulk, he scares me. Same goes with Daisy Johnson’s dad (in the comics he called Hyde I believe (as in Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde).
3. I find true crime stuff super interesting
Bonus 4. I am a horrible speller and am very prone to typos…
1. I ship Hawkingbird because of the mcu. I didn’t actually know who Hawkeye was until the avengers movie so I googled him and saw mockingbird listed as his wife on the first wiki page for him. I did a Google image search of the two and became inexplicably attached to them.
2. I have dyslexia, ADHD, and a lisp.
3. A month before endgame was released I stayed up until midnight reading articles about how the soul stone, Kree and Skrull were all going to play a big part in the story. After that I wrote a ~850 word preemptive fix it fic based on what I and a bunch of other people thought was going to happen. It is the only fanfic I’ve ever finished and needless to say it has no resemblance to the plot of the movie
>>> tagging <<<
I don’t really know anyone I can @ considering most blogs I follow are artists who would likely never respond and almost everyone else is someone I hold in such high reverence that it would feel like asking Rihanna to my birthday party
I tried to make a sexual identity generator but it’s glitchy and I’m not sure how to fix it.
nevermind, it’s perfect
I love reading the notes on this and seeing people’s reactions, but my absolutely favorite is seeing people make up fake results using words I never even put into the generator.
ninja gay Trekkie
I hope Brendan Fraser is having a nice day.
I hope one day that Brendan Fraser gets to see this post with several thousand (one day perhaps several hundred thousand?) people who have all banded together, united for one single common purpose: to hope that he is having a nice day.
I hope he’s doing well. Him and Matthew Perry. The years have not been kind to either of them and they both deserve better
If I could my entire wardrobe would be nothing but knock off/off brand
I wish that ao3 had an option to filter warnings (and tbh certain authors) out like I will never ever want to read it and just seeing it puts me off so much that often I end up closing my browser because that content upsets me so much lmao
There is a way to do this but I can’t recall how to do it. it’s something you type into the box for “other filters” or something, I don’t remember. who knows??
It’s not a great option, and I don’t know if you can sort out authors that way, but it’s better than nothing if someone can reblog this with how to do it!
Alrighty friends! It takes some specificity, but you can do this. Let me show you how!
So I started with going to the Sherlock (TV) section of Ao3. On the right we find this lovely section! ((I know I’m going over things you already probably know, but I figure this post may go to new Ao3 users, so bear with me.))
Underneath this, I chose sort by Kudos, because that’s a quick way to find most popular fics, for the sake of this demonstration.
With those filters on, we end up with this being our first two results:
As you can see, we have Nature and Nurture by earlgreytea68, and The Internet Is Not Just For Porn by cyerus. So what if I am utterly sick of seeing earlgreytea68 on my list? Let’s pretend I’ve read all their fics, or that I just don’t like her, or whatever. I want this author out. I go to this section on the right:
In “Search within results” I type earlgreytea68 into the bar, with a minus sign in front. This gives me the following page, upon hitting the sort and filter button:
There goes earlgreytea68! But now I’ve decided that Crack is just not my thing, I’m sick of that, too, for heaven’s sake, I want something reasonable in my gay slash fanfiction about detectives that solve crimes about glowing dogs and irish megalomaniacs. Heaven forbid this get ridiculous.
Well, then I add this to my search:
Which gets rid of everything with that tag. My results are now:
Performance in a Leading Role is now my first result!
You can do this as many times as you want; the biggest problem I have is trying to filter out multi-worded tags. For example, “Secret Relationship” is hard to filter. Better to go with authors you dislike or with words like “DubCon”.
I hope this helps! Also remember that googling site:archiveofourown.org and then adding search terms will mean google searches Ao3 for you, and sometimes that works far better.
An excellent in-depth guide! Thank you!!
omg changed my whole ao3 rarepair game
An excellent guide to filtering on AO3!
You can filter out phrases by enclosing them in quotes. For example, if ABO and Hydra Trash Party are not your things, try:
-“alpha/beta/omega dynamics” -”hydra trash party”
I have more advice!
Say, you’re in your random fandom- I went with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, since I’ve been reading Iron Man stuff recently. Tony Stark is awesome.
But anyway, you’re on the page, and you see that there are 174,774 works! That is way too many for a casual afternoon’s browsing.
And you see that the first one is Peter Parker/Tony Stark and that is not your jam. It doesn’t work for you, or it squicks you, whatever. Wouldn’t life be easier if you could browse without seeing that pairing (or whatever pairing you don’t like)? You can!
First, click on that pairing tag(You may want to open this in another tab, actually.):
and it’ll take you to the page for that pairing tag. Click this button:
and then look at the address bar! The actual page is unimportant. Copy the numbers located here:
and go back to the original search page! Down on the side, in the same place you can get rid of other tags, type -relationship_ids:”the number you just copied”
Then hit ‘sort and filter’ annnd… magic!
The fics with that pairing are gone! You can also do multiple pairings, get rid of any tags you don’t like, and sort it by date or length or kudos, or whatever.
I’d just like to add that these sorts of search modifiers ALSO WORK IN GOOGLE AND MOST RESEARCH DATABASES.
The more you know.
Just a quick reminder that AO3 uses Lucene as a search and index engine.
That means you can pretty much use all the Lucene Query Syntax in the “Seach within result” field.
I don’t think AO3 indexes the whole fic for searching but definitely it’s meta data. Combined with Lucenes awesome query syntax you can do pretty much every search you heart desires.
Addtional Lucene Query Syntax that has not been mentioned yet and you might find useful:
You can use wildcard searches within single terms. For a single character wildcard search use the “?” symbol. For a multiple character wildcard search use the “*” symbol.
Lucene allows you to combin terms through logic operators. You’re looking for fics that are either “reunion” or “enemies to lovers”?
Just put in >“reunion” OR “enemies to lovers”< into the field
and you end up with all the stories that are either or but not both.
But wait, now you’re looking for fics that are both “reunion” and “enemies to lovers” at the same time? Now worries Lucene got you covered.
Just change it into >“"reunion” AND “enemies to lovers”“<
and you’ll get all the fics that mention both “reunion” and “enemies to lovers” somewhere in their meta data (note: it’s not just tags. It’s also title, summary …)
You can also boost specific terms when doing a multi term search.
You can use the “^” Operator followed by a number to boost a specific term.
Say you’re interested in fics that are either “first kiss” or “bed sharing” but you’re much more interested in “bed sharing” fics and feel they are more relevant.
You can use the search >“first kiss” “bed sharing”^5<
to manipulate the order of your results in a matter that the score of every fic that contains beg sharing is multiplied by 5. Therefore all fics containing that term are given priority and shown at the top of the list.
You can also combine all of the above, target specifc fields (that’s what you did with the “relationsship_id:xxx”) and many more things.
For more info about the Lucene query syntax check out Apache’s Lucene Query doc.
^ sharing this because we all love fanfics and @itsmajel is a freaking nerd 👌
Is this old or did y'all forget Exclude is an option now?
My aunt has six more mouths to feed