The gymnasium on North Brother Island has not fared well over the past 50 years. A rather slipshod construction to begin with, the gym and theatre were added to the “services building” when it was converted for use by heroin addicts in the supposed “rehabilitation” hospital on the island in 1953 - by all accounts, a dismal place of last-resort for juvenile offenders who would otherwise find themselves in jail. The conversion of this building was by no means attempted with quality in mind; a metal skeleton was hastily installed, and plaster was used to create partitions in order to create classrooms, the theatre, and this gym. Water has not been kind to these internal partitions, leading to hallways with a decided lean or - as pictured here - severe wall damage.
Print available here.