Restored film of San Francisco's Market Street version of a film shot on April 14, 1906, four days before the Great Earthquake,
The information below was kindly supplied by @powerwordkilll Thank you!
The original 13-minute film is A Trip Down Market Street, which was shot and produced by the Miles Brothers. It was preserved in the Library of Congress and Prelinger Archives, and in 2018, Adrianne Finelli digitized and uploaded the footage for the Internet Archive. Now in 2020, Denis Shiryaev restored, upscaled and colorized the film. Shiryaev’s channel has even more restored footage, so check it out if you’re interested.
Chronophotograph of an Exercise on the Horizontal Bar (1906)
“In 1881, Georges Demeny became an assistant to Étienne-Jules Marey, distinguished professor at the Collège de France, often using chronophotography (several frames of movement on one negative) to study movement. In 1902, Demeny was hired to head a scientific photographic laboratory at l’École de Jonville, a sports college in Paris for training athletes and soldiers. This was the first photographic sports research center in the world. Demeny used photography to study stress, fatigue, muscular movements, and efficiency in physical activity.” — Brooklyn Museum
Women and water somehow intrigued Waterhouse so it is no surprise that he painted the Danaïdes. These 50 daughters of King Danaus were forced to marry the 50 sons of his rival King Aegyptus with the task to kill them in their wedding night. After the killings, the women were sentenced to death and in the underworld they were condemned to fill a large jar with a big hole in it. Only one daughter refused to assassinate her husband because she truly loved him and this couple started the dynasty of the new rulers of Argos.
The first shown painting is regarded as a study of the second one that was completed two years later. Being only discovered in 1989, it is nevertheless a painting in its full right. The later version was sold to the magnate James Murray and ended up in the Aberdeen Art Gallery in 1927.