The Lesser Known Best Girls of 2020
Anime this year has had its ups and downs, but do you know what gets on my nerves? When people ignore all the amazing female characters we’ve gotten and just assume Chizuru Mizuhara from Rent-a-Girlfriend is the best girl of the year (who is also amazing and deserves to be worshiped). Sure, we have Tohru Honda, Nobara Kugisaki, Abby, and Chika and Kaguya. But when will people start noticing the other MVPs of the year?
So this is an appreciation post for all the anime girls nobody has talked about from 2020 (at least, the new ones…sorry continuing series girls like Asirpa and Chihaya and Myne).
1. Kazuya’s grandma from Rent-A-Girlfriend. Because she constantly roasts Kazuya, she’s the reason this hot mess of a show exists, and without her, we would not get to know Chizuru.
2. Makoto’s mom from Ikebukuro West Gate Park. Because she’s the perfect blend of no-nonsense mentor and pure cinnamon roll who does more to solve people’s problems than her son. Why can’t she be the protagonist?
3. Swindler/Ordinary Person from Akudama Drive. Because she has gone through some of the most character development of the year, from a somewhat bland but still sweet cinnamon roll to a crispy bun who has seen some shit and has come out the other side. Or at least I hope she does, the show’s not over yet.
4. Makoto Ohno from Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater. Really all the girls in this show are best girl material, but Makoto is the perfect senpai who is underrated and unjustly ignored…just like this show. Please watch this show, it’s the most wholesome watch of the year without being annoyingly moe.
5. Minare Koda from Wave Listen to Me! Because she’s a hilarious boss ass bitch who represents all the women watching anime as jaded adults, and she practically carries that entire show on her own.
6. Natsume from Deca-Dence. Because she’s basically an adult version of Emma from The Promised Neverland with the addition of a mechanical arm and a cute pet.
7. Catarina Claes from My Next Life as a Villainess. Because she’s so fun to be around, she accidentally turned herself in to the protagonist of the harem game…and she never has to end up with anyone to consider her ending successful.
8. Somali from Somali and the Forest Spirit. Because I would cut off my own arms to ensure her happiness. Apparently, most people don’t realize Somali is a girl and everyone forgot how adorable this show is.
9. Chiyuki Fujito from Smile Down the Runway. Because she’s a great example of a typical determined anime protagonist who isn’t annoying and is easy to root for. And she ended up getting side-lined in her own anime in favor of the male co-protagonist.
10. Arte…from Arte. Because she never gives up and constantly deals with people belittling her artistic abilities, but she’s still a kind person who doesn’t have to act more masculine to respect herself…..just ignore the hair thing at the beginning of the show.
11. Oden/Hina from The Day I Became A God. Because she’s hilarious and effortlessly endearing, and she gets bonus points for her big “love confession” being familial and not romantic…cuz that would make the show very…different
OR NOT I GUESS! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK PA WORKS? AM I THE ONLY ONE WEIRDED OUT BY THIS?!
Oh well, she’s a good girl either way, even if the show’s ending grosses me out.
*editing this in after the fact* 12. DEAR GOD HOW DID I FORGET NOI FROM DOROHEDORO!? SHE LITERALLY GOT ME THROUGH SO MUCH OF THAT SHOW! Everyone’s favorite super buff lovable antagonist. She’s the perfect woman, nothing more to be said.
And finally, the best girl of the year:
Sayaka Kanamori from Keep Your Hands Off Eizoken. Because her design is unique, she’s a shrewd, brilliant business girl, and without her, the show would go nowhere because the other girls would spend all day daydreaming about making an anime and never actually do it.
And some honorable mentions:
Michiru Kagemori from BNA. Because her design is awesome. I just can’t remember much about her…personality wise.
Jing Xialian and Sophia Taylor from Appare Ranman. Because despite being the token women in an otherwise all male cast, they are the most interesting and entertaining characters in the whole show. They just need more screen time. Seriously, I love Appare, but I wish they were the protagonists.
Anyway, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
461 notes · View notes
Make this make sense Japanese media..
So due to the protests happening in America due to the in-justices black people face in this country because of systematic racism at the hands of our government and police, this is sparking a movement all over the world among-st the whole Black diaspora that has similar issues as well. This has also spread to Japan and was covered by their local news stations via TBS and NHK.
So tell me why TBS interviewed a white supremacist about the riots?
They also interviewed AtsugiriJason, a comedian and last time I checked..there is a American Black comedian in Japan as well named Ike Nwala
but can’t have someone black discuss our issues it seems, who is already whitesplaining whats going on as well
Then you guys animate and broadcast on national television the protests for children.....JAPANESE CHILDREN, my ex-students and my OWN JAPANESE NIECE AND NEPHEW depicting black people as “scary foreigners” burning and protesting because we’re unhappy we make less money then white PEOPLE, but still able to sing the blues,and once again..leaving out WHY WE’RE PROTESTING AND WHAT SPARKED IT WHY NOW!?
Even Naomi Osaka was under attack by random Japanese netizens for posting about Black lives matter and calling out the anti-blackness in her own mom’s country! Her country who she plays TENNIS FOR!
The same Japanese media, that aired a commercial of her lightening HER SKIN just LAST YEAR!
Which once again proves my point when I made this image:
Look, I know Japan isn’t just about these 3 genre’s listed..but its still part of their media and media..can definitely SHAPE and construct a society!
For the people who might want to say “Well, Japan doesn’t owe you anything! Make your own anime!”Nah...they do..they owe my future kids an explanation why this shit is still prevalent, but lemme bring up something that you guys probably didn’t know..
There are two black brothers in Japan right now! They own an anime studio..in TOKYO named D'ART Shtajio.
They worked on lots of anime that you guys watch, from One Piece to SNK. but the stories they want to release has yet to be picked up...I WONDER WHY!?
Ah...so...looks like their original stories don’t have any white people..and I guess no Japanese people either..which is a double STRIKE OUT in Japanese media it seems.
But yet I can always get a wonderful doses of random white washed isekai anime every freaking change of the season or if you guys try to fake promote diversity in Japan, the white foreigner or half white/half Japanese kid is always the safest bet amirite?!
And I’am not pulling shit out of my ass, THIS IS a smidget of the anime out there that is PROVING MY POINT for the last got damn 70+ fucking years!
and the one Black character they do have in the new 2020 anime releases via Appare Ranman HAS A FUCKING NOOSE ON HIS NECK!!?!
(How they going to spin this?! You know what..don’t even fucking bother cause NO EXPLANATION CAN JUSTIFY THIS!)
Which ties right back into why they didn’t even interview a Black man living in Japan to spread information about why these protests are happening and how they were able to allow this shit to be shown on television and have a white supremacist and a White Comedian chime in on the issues happening in America specifically in the BLACK COMMUNITY!
WHITE SUPREMACY/WHITE WORSHIPING!
Its 2020, and this shit has GOT TO STOP! Their are Black people in Japan, specifically Baye McNeil, a Black man born and raised in Brooklyn who is very outspoken on Black issues in that country, and they didn’t bother to ask for his report..and you know why?!
Because HE’S BLACK!
He’s not the Blue Eyed/Blond haired foreigner that they adore and hold to in terms of ideals which is “American/Western #1” so dearly...
The Black people they never want to use in Anime/Video Games/Movies unless its for stereotypical shit like I posted above! (Just like how when they promoted Spiderman into the spiderverse movie, their trailer focused more so on Peter. B parker and never revealed that Miles Morales was Afro-Latino! The Trailer is still on youtube so ya’ll know I’am not lying)
The Black people they want to ignore and see as undesirable compared to WHITE PEOPLE!
The Black people who if they happen to marry and have children with have a higher chance of being ostracized even in adult hood more so than other half children that don’t have the complexion (white/light skin) for the protection!
You can’t be singing about worshiping America, Come on baby America USA
(DA PUMP recently sang a song about loving the USA in 2018..with Trump’s ass in office..fucking NICE eh?!) without acknowledging the racism that is ingrained in this country!
So a big fuck you to NHK, TBS, the entire Japanese media that breeds this shit into their society..FUCK YOU! And just like DA pump sang in their USA song..
America did inspire you guys..and white America inspired the racist ideals you have towards us too..
But we’re done....
We’re DONE WITH THIS SHIT! So if you want to continue worshiping White America and being inspired by them, well its time to wake the fuck up and change your tune cause this type of mindset is about to get erased and we have no time for shadows of the past to try and stay relevant in the present and the future!
5K notes · View notes