Please for the love of God watch DIARY OF A FUTURE PRESIDENT on Disney+
If you're looking for a diverse cast and queer representation this is the show for you. It currently has 2 seasons and needs your views to get a 3rd. And we NEED a third because there's so many cliffhangers and I'll die if I don't have conclusions.
If you liked One Day At A Time, Boy Meets World, Girl Meets World, Andi Mack, and even High School Musical The Musical The Series you'll love this show!
So here's why you should watch the show:
1) The main character is a young Latina girl named Elena. She is strong, intelligent, and highly independent with big dreams and goals. She wants to be President of the United States, which she achieves in the future and the show shows how she gets there. She's a great role model character for young girls because she's very goal driven, passionate, and ambitious but she's not perfect. She messes up sometimes and makes mistakes, but she bounces back every single time. She's just the kind of leading lady that yound tv needs right now.
2) Bobby is officially my all time favorite gay character. When you first meet him he's the typical cool older brother who is captain of his tennis team and likes a girl. But after some self reflection while having a girlfriend he realizes that he may like his new guy friend more than his girlfriend. Disney FINALLY has a show that accurately shows the struggles of discovering your sexuality and finding the courage to own it, accept it, love it, and come out to those you love about it. Bobby's journey of discovering his sexuality has been so beautifully done, the writers really just NAILED it. And to top it off we get an ACTUAL coming out where he actually says the words "I'm gay". Disney is getting brave and we love to see it!
3) And there's MULTIPLE queer people in this show. From the mom's best friend and her girlfriend, to the mom's co-worker, to Elena's classmate having two moms. There's so much representation to show that queer people exsist in everyone's day to day lives and its NORMAL.
4) The show does such a good job of representing a latinx family as well as including other cultures
4) The mom, Gabby, starts dating a coworker, Sam. She hasn't dated anyone since losing her husband a few years ago. Its an adjustment for her and the kids, who aren't the most accepting from the start. They show the struggles of one of your parents dating someone new and does a great job showing how hard it can be to accept but ultimately how great it could work out in the end.
5) The show isn't scared to talk about a bunch of different, important, topics. From friendships ending, to what it means to work in politics, to liking boys, to not judging people based off rumors or appearances, to the consequences of trying to grow up too fast, and so much more.
So please, GO WATCH THE SHOW! It's the exact kind of show that needs to be on tv right now. From the diverse cast, to the accurate queer representation, to the important topics they touch on with no fear. This show deserves a season 3, and hopefully more seasons after that!
415 notes · View notes