small cultural & Colombia/Latin related details from Encanto 🇨🇴
the flowers on Isabela’s dress and in her hair - cattleya trianae orchids (may lilies), national flowers of Colombia
Camilo snapping his fingers when he is excited
Mirabel using her lips to point
flowered balconies (like in Cartagena)
ruanas (ponchos) that Bruno and Camilo wore
inviting the whole town/neighbourhood to a party
sombrero vueltiao - traditional Colombian hat
Isabela being covered in the colors of Colombian flag (🇨🇴) during her song
and many many more!
(this is for all the people who still say Encanto is not about Colombians ; sorry about the quality of the gifs)
Tweet from @thejaredbush
Here’s an answer to a question I’ve been asked A LOT - “how tall is Mirabel?!” Official answer: 5’2” - all other characters’ heights are relative to hers, so that’s all I got… except Bruno who has, you know, a seven foot frame and 🐀🐀🐀 along his back. #Encanto
Based on this, I used this photo:
And several shots from the movie to figure out the rough relative height for the rest of the 15 years and over characters.
So left to right
Luisa: 6'4" / 193 cm
Isabela: 5'5" / 165.1 cm
Julieta: 5'4" / 162.6 cm
Agustin: 5'10" / 177.8 cm
Alma: 5'4" / 162.6 cm
Mirabel: 5'2" / 157.5 cm
Bruno: 5'4" / 162.6 cm
Camilo: 5'3" / 160 cm
Pepa: 5'6" 167.6 cm
Felix: 5'4" / 162.6 cm
Dolores: 5'5" / 165 cm
Antonio could be between 3'6"-3'8" (106.7 cm - 111.7 cm), but he's still only 5 so his height can change with time.
Edit: Seeing a lot of people complaining about them being so short. Need I remind you the average height for Colombians is 5'7" for men, and 5'2.5" for women in modern times. It would have been shorter in the movie's time period. Camilo is still only 15 and he could easily have another growth spurt.
Just going to give the evidence to support heights for certain characters
Keep in mind, curly hair,depending on volume, also adds to perceived height. As someone with curly hair much like the characters in Encanto, I accounted for that.
First thing I did was compare the known height of Mirabel to the tallest person in the group, Mirabel... with the tallest, Luisa. I used this website this to create models and used these two pics as it has the two characters side by side in the best conditions. I fiddled witht he height of Luisa back and forth and settled on 6'4" because she has a wide stance and that does tend to remove about an inch depending on how wide it is. She could be closer to 6'5"
From there it was just comparing the characters in other scenes where they are close.
And barring that, I broke down Mirabel's height into sections for relative comparison. For instance it is 4 inches between the bottom of her eyes to the top of her head. So if there were no shots where she's standing straight next to someone with a clear shot of her full figure, I could just count from there.
Little Encanto Details From The Books, Part 2!
I was blown away by the response to my first post about this! (Read the first part here!) I went back through the two books and wrote down every tiny thing I could find. I think I won’t have any more until Disney releases a new book about Encanto, which hopefully they’ll do soon!
• Pepa and Agustín call Mirabel “Mira.”
• Bruno, if not the rest of the family, is Catholic (he crosses himself when meeting Antonio’s jaguar.)
• Abuela is considered the heart of the Encanto.
• Casita grows and expands to fit all the family members.
• Agustín and Félix are very close and are constantly talking.
• Isabela sometimes thinks it would be nice if she didn’t have a gift.
• While they’re both twenty-two, Isabela is older than Dolores.
• Antonio snores.
• The last time Abuela hugged Mirabel was before her failed Gift ceremony.
• The roof is Mirabel’s favorite spot in Casita.
• Casita likes being touched.
• Agustín is a pianist.
• Isabela always carries a handkerchief.
• After Luisa got her gift, she spent the rest of the night doing tricks with it for the townspeople.
• Luisa doesn’t care what she wears as long as it’s comfortable.
• Isabela drinks café con leche.
• Luisa’s ears turn red when she’s embarrassed.
• The man who told Luisa that the donkeys got out is named Señor Rendon, and he’s described as “sometimes careless.”
• Three other townspeople are named Señora Ruiz, Señora Flores, and Señora Uriarte.
• Luisa never took naps before the events of the movie, believing that “nighttime is for sleeping, daytime is for getting things done.”
• Casita is very gentle when playing with the younger Madrigals.
• Isabela never gets in trouble.
• Isabela thinks Mirabel and Camilo are too old for toys.
• Abuela and Señora Guzmán have a somewhat tense relationship- described as a “battle of politeness.”
• Mirabel’s palms sweat when she’s worried.
• Luisa loves bright colors.
• Mirabel sneezes around things like sand or dust. Or salt.
• Félix rarely worries about anything.
• Isabela has a pond in her room filled with water lilies.
• Camilo and Pepa are both able to pick up and carry Antonio. Antonio especially likes to ride on Pepa’s shoulders.
• Isabela never wears her shoes on her bed.
• Luisa has panic attacks.
• While Isabela doesn’t love Mariano, she does hope to marry someday.
• Abuela secretly thinks Mirabel is a lot like Pedro was.