Making the belt to hold it all together - layer 3.5 - I guess
After ironing out all of the washed fabric, I set at making a rectangle pattern for the belt. I first made the base teal layer by folding over the edges of the hem twice to prevent fraying.
I moved it a bit so it isn’t that wiggly in reality.
This is based on the waist + 4″ calculation, in my case 31.5″ and the belt is about 4″ wide.
My original plan was to fold over the raw edges of the white strip which is ~2″ wide but I noticed like many types of white fabric was pretty translucent and I decided to double it up. I made a long tube, cut off the excess and kept about 2 inches of one edge open to pull everything through. I found this to be much nicer giving the white a more solid ‘color’ so to speak.
I sewed this one with a longer seam length, 3 on my machine, so it would be easier to flex and not be super tight. I’m pretty sure that the actual outfit has two independent layers of white and teal laid over top and maybe the red cord is fixed to the white part. The red cord is too thin for a single layer - I may wrap the two parts of it to be thicker or I may go get more and braid it.
Before that, I decided that I am going to put some velcro down on the edges and I have to test it out with everything.
I marked the edges with one of my fabric pens to determine where to put the velcro later. I may need to find some stiffer fabric to line it or also make a sandwich of the teal with interfacing, the ends are puckering up.
Overall though it does look nice. I think some stiffing material will make a huge difference in the end.
It definitely ties the entire outfit together nicely. I’ll have to futz around with it a bit more to see how I like it. I went ahead and added some velcro to my belt and tested it out with the three layers. I wish I had a cleaner end, but I cheated and put the overlap side under my arm instead of on the back.
For the ties on the blue zhiju, I took strips of fabric, folded them over a few times, sewing each fold down as it became narrower. I used a seam ripper to open the side seam, put the tie in and then sewed it back down and in place. I may try to use cord ties for another layer just to see how it works out. I then tested out how the blue zhiju tied up and put the unfinished belt over top.
After letting things sit for a few days I got back to finishing the belt. I twisted the cord around itself to create a thicker one - I’m currently not motivated enough to get more to make a braid (but I think that would look quite nice).
Here is the underside where you can see some quick stitches in red to hold down part of the cord. As I’ve said before, I’m not a fan of hand sewing so I just found a few places to machine stitch it down.
Here is the top side with the twisted cord, that has been sewn down in a few places, well four exactly. Next to it is a sort of stiffening insert that is made with two strips of left over cotton, interfacing and then some of the teal fabric. I’m still not sure if I want to attach it to the belt or just place it under the belt and give some structure that way.
I made sure some of the cord is longer than the belt so I can ‘tie it down’, pretending to make it look more exciting than the velcro it is hiding underneath!
That’s pretty much it. I’ve drafted the green jacket pattern already and I’ll hopefully wrap that up this week.
33 notes · View notes