Pokemon Journeys Episode 42. Let’s Review:
1. Hello again, Rose. Nice to see you’re just as creepy and eff’ed up as you are in the games. Oh, and Oleana’s here too! Like Rose, you’re just like yourself in the games; beautiful and scary. That’s why we like you two.
2. Yay! Dynamaxing is becoming relevant again! After, ummm, how many episodes has it’s been since Pikachu first Gigantamaxed?
3. Ash, why did you get started by a simple Bunnelby? It was one of the three main mons a past companion had! (coughclemontcough)
4. The whole sequence in the Slumbering Weald was very well done and a nice touch to the games. Also, I am REALLY relieved that Ash will be stanning Zacian and Goh, Zamazenta. This is because in a recent magazine scan, it, for some reason, had our two bois stanning the opposite doggo, which was beyond confusing because, well, Ash is the stronger and (technically speaking) older of the two, so of course he should get the doggo that represents those two categories. So yeah, nice save, anime writers.
5. Raboot, you were hardly competition for Kiawe’s Turtonator back in Alola. What makes you think you can hold a candle to a mon that’s most blatantly a Legendary?
6. YAY, Sonia’s back!! Augh, why are you always so pure?!
7. Oh, look! A Centiskorch! And not only were we able to see its Gigantamax form, but the animators made it SO FREAKING ADORABLE!! So adorable, that I wanna hug one myself in real life! (which would probs kill cause I don’t have anime armor, but still, worth it)
8. “Stop! Don’t be so reckless!”??? My dude, this is the same kid who got Tapu Koko interested in him IN HIS FIRST DAY AT ALOLA. Also, get a better haircut.
9. Ash faces a Gigantamaxed Centiskorch and the first mon he uses to partner with Pikachu against it is Riolu. Ash, I love you, so please, do not make me call child protective services on you! (I mean, yes, there was the time your baby Noibat flew off towards a Zapdos and you didn’t even try to stop it, but still!)
10. Dragonite?!?! YES!!! After SO long, Ash is FINALLY using a mon on his team that isn’t Pikachu or Riolu! (their three-way attack against Centiskorch was also beautiful too)
11. I don’t why, but seeing a Charizard use a rock-type move like Rock Tomb just seems funny to me in an ironic sense. (considering rock moves are basically a Charizard’s kryptonite coughstealthrockspammerscough)
12. Hi, Leon!! Yes, yes do take Ash with you. Please, or else I will give you a 10-hour tangent over the whole Ultra Guardians shindig from the last adventure.
13. Ash, Pikachu, and Riolu riding on Dragonite together. I love this. I stan this. I adore this. GIMME more pure and wholesomely awesome frames!
14. Ash will be going with Leon to fight Dynamaxed/Gigantamaxed mons and Go will stick with Sonia for some research. THAT is fitting.
Overall, a pretty solid start to the Darkest Day arc! We got some good stakes set up from Rose and Oleana of course, Ash and Goh’s different perspectives and character traits were perfectly symbolized through both the legendary doggos and Leon and Sonia, and we got a some nifty looking battling scenes here and there.
I would rate this episode a good 8/10. Great start to a hopefully great arc!