Prompt: What if germs haven’t been discovered?
Summary: Spencer and Reader analyse a world where germs don’t exist, and how Reid’s life would be like…
Content Warning: none
Word count: 1.6K
- I wonder how your life would be if germs had never been discovered- (Y/N) thought out loud and gazed at Spencer, smiling playfully. They were waiting for their lunch in a small cafeteria they liked to go to whenever they had a slow paperwork day at the BAU. It felt almost unreal to be sharing a meal not thinking there was an unsub to catch in the next hour.
He hesitated for a second before answering. He was caught off guard by her smile, and for a second he forgot he could speak, words piling up in his tongue, not making his way from his lips. She made his brain turn into mush, that was a fact.
- I don’t understand how germs could never be discovered- Spencer murmured a few seconds later. Of all the answers he had in mind, which mostly referred to an endless amount of data and facts about germs, those words were the best he managed to say. (Y/N)’s smile had completely wiped off every functional brain cell he had.
- Well, imagine all the things people haven’t discovered yet- she simply replied and took a sip of her lemonade. Just like that, Spencer was left speechless.
All the things people haven’t discovered yet. That was interesting, but though it was a thought Spencer could lose himself in for days and maybe weeks, at that minute all he could concentrate on was all the things he hadn’t discovered yet, such as the taste of (Y/N)’s lips. Or how her warm skin could feel against his hand when he finally first touched her. He hadn’t discovered how it would be to hold her hand. Just as simple as that. He lived in a world where germs existed, but all his dreams were a “what if”.
- That’s overwhelming- Spencer whispered, answering to (Y/N)’s earlier comment and looked down.
- Would you shake people’s hand if germs hadn’t been discovered?- his best friend asked, and her eyes didn’t leave his. She felt how her whole body shook, staring at Spencer, but she couldn’t stop doing it anyway. She didn’t want to either, but it felt physically impossible to take her eyes from his. He was a magnet she couldn’t move apart from.
It had been that way since day one, when the two of them started at the BAU, five years ago. They were both extremely young to be part of the elite of the FBI, but their abilities had put them where they belong. A few weeks into the job and Reid had finally managed to talk to her without stuttering. He wasn’t good with people, especially with women. Least with a woman he found attractive. (Y/N) had no idea how to approach someone like Spencer. He had an IQ of 187, the guy could read 20.000 words per minute. She was dumb compared to him in any possible way. There was no way he could even notice her, so she did what anyone would do: she fell into the friendzone and stayed there for the next five years.
She was the girl he took to the museums every weekend, and he was the friend she crawled to random geek conventions. She loved to be there for him, even when it meant she was his best friend. (Y/N) knew Spencer had a thing for JJ when they first joined the BAU, they even were out on a date, but nothing came from it. It didn’t matter to her anyway, she could see how Spencer looked at JJ, he never had those longing eyes when he talked to her. It was clear, she was just his best friend and JJ the object of his desires.
- I don’t know… I guess…- Reid answered and (Y/N) nodded. Their food arrived and the two of them focused on their dishes for a few seconds. Silence fell between them, but it was awkward. It never was. They were perfectly comfortable in each other’s company, being quiet wasn’t something to worry about. They could perfectly spend a whole weekend in silence, reading, or watching movies.
Those were Spencer’s favorite weekends, ‘cos he didn’t have to make his best effort to answer in a normal voice and like a normal human being each time (Y/N) talked to him.
Though he had managed to control himself and act normal when they were alone, inside Reid was in a deep and constant struggle. He knew he loved her. More than that: he was in love with her. And that was enough reason for him to act silly from time to time. Ok, all the time. He could ramble for hours when he talked to her, and it was worst 'cos she never cut him off, which meant he literally could go on, and on, and never shut up.
He was scared one day he could ramble for so long, he could end up telling her his true feelings. But he knew he was never going to have the guts to do it.
- Why do germs freak you out so much?- (Y/N) stopped eating, She was halfway into her salad, but she wasn’t really enjoying it. The dressing wasn’t real good, and Spencer had gotten her a red velvet cupcake for breakfast, which had spoiled her appetite for the rest of the day.
- We’re estimated to have around 1,500 bacteria living on each square centimeter of skin on our hands, and although viruses don’t set up shop on the skin the way bacteria do, the viruses that cause diarrhea and respiratory infections can hang around on the hands long enough to spread from person to person- and Spencer hides behind what makes him feel secure the most: facts- It states that microorganisms known as pathogens or “germs” can lead to disease, they invade humans…
- But honey- it gave him goosebumps each time (Y/N) called him that- If you don’t get sick from time to time, your immune system is gonna be as weak as the taste of this dressing.
“Honey”. It was just too sweet, too cute, too… endearing for him to handle. No one had ever called him a pet name before. Not her mother, not… anyone. Sure, JJ called him “Spence” from time to time, and some of her friends caught it as a BAU nickname, but it was nothing like being called “honey” by (Y/N). No, that was different. And when she used the whole “Honey bunny” surname to refer to him, he swore anyone could see him melt.
- What if germs were the coolest thing on earth? and everybody was trying to get the germs?- Spencer narrowed his eyes and made his best not to laugh. She was rambling on their way back to work, and for once he was glad to be the one listening to someone else rattle on.
- What is it with you and germs today?- he simply asks and chuckles lightly. He is happy today. And he wants to enjoy it before a case darkened his mind.
- I don’t know- (Y/N) shrugged and smiled at him- I guess I’m just… curious what is it with you and germs
- I just hate them- Spencer answered looking at her, licking her ice cream- You didn’t finish your greens at lunch, you didn’t earn that dessert- he teased and she grinned
- Want some?- her words seemed to play with his mind, and make his cheek blush right away. He did, he wanted some. He wanted some so badly it ached him. So he didn’t answer.
- You didn’t seem to be scared of Lila Archer’s germs… we all saw you sharing your straw with her
- (Y/N), that’s…- but he is flustered and his friend won’t stop teasing him for it.
- I don’t have the cooties, but I know that won’t make the difference 'cos she was half-naked and you were…- and he snaps. He grabs the ice cream cone from her hand and licks it all. His tongue traves through every inch of sweet, tasting it and looking into (Y/N)’s eyes as he did. He had no idea what he was doing to her. She was having trouble keeping her thoughts in order, she had to remember they were on the street and that he was just her best friend in the world to stop herself from throwing herself to him.
Spencer had enough of that, it wasn’t just this time, it has been years of listening to the same thing, over and over again. For a moment or two, he was almost sure (Y/N) was jealous, but after a few seconds, he remembered she was just his best friend having fun with him. That was it. So he grabbed the ice cream cone and lick it. It was his way to tell her he didn’t care about her germs. In fact, he wanted to have her germs if it mean he could kiss her.
- There! see? now we have the same cooties! end of the story
(Y/N) held her ice cream cone again and licked it. Her best friend kept looking at her with the corner of his eyes.
- So… germs exist, but you don’t care about mine?- she whispered after a few minutes. Her voice was almost untraceable, but Spencer knew that tone.
- Germs exist and I hate them- he explained and kept looking ahead- But yours are ok…
- Oh…- (Y/N) nodded and bit her lips, trying her best not to smile.
- I mean… we’ve probably already shared them all, we’ve been friends for years, we can’t keep track of everything we’ve done- he can, he does. He knows. (Y/N) nodded her head again and continued eating her ice cream in silence until they reach the BAU again.
- So my germs are ok then…- she whispered and elbowed him as they waited for the elevator. Spencer chuckled looking down.
- Yeah, your germs are alright.