There are these huge industrial sites you couldn't possibly 'deal' with in one visit. This is one of those sites. This power plant, which is located on a still active steel plant, was built in the 1940s. At that time there was already a gas plant on the site, but it could no longer generate enough energy for the increasing production. Therefore, this coal-fired power station was built to support the gas-fired power station. The turbine hall has since been emptied, but in the boiler room with the impressive Stein & Roubaix boilers and their control cabins are still present and the entire installation - although very dilapidated - still appears to be intact.
During this first visit to this location we were able to visit this power station and the pump house of the adjacent gas station. On a next visit we hope to be able to visit the gas plant itself. In the meantime, enjoy this beautiful boiler room.
At the end of the 19th century, education in this village was limited to the municipal boys' school. Around the turn of the century, the clergy decided that there was a need for education for girls. In order to organize this, the monastic community “Daughters of Wisdom” was ordered from the Netherlands to set up a small monastery on a piece of land made available by the municipality. Local farmers brought the materials by horse and cart and around 1908 the new school was a fact. The school had a nursery section for boys and girls and a primary education section for girls up to 14 years of age. Successive reforms in education ensured that the two schools merged in the late 1970s. The old monastery building became vacant. Today there are plans to build a completely new school on the site. The old monastery building will be restored and integrated into the new school complex and will mainly provide space for the administration and management.