(Luca clean credit arts)
I combined some of it into one picture so it will fit all in this post.
1. Luca's grandmother is a part of the ice cream enthusiast gang now with the lesbian grannies.
2. Alberto might have became a lifeguard now. Protecting kids from drowning when they were swimming in the sea. A fitting job for him, the best swimmer. 😭
3. Luca's first experience watching movie in cinema. I wonder what movie they were watching to make Luca looked so scared while Giulia was having the best time of her life.🤣
4. Luca being brave enough to come out as sea people to his classmates + and even feeling comfortable to pose for Giulia's mother painting (she is a painter!! 😭) as his true self.
5. Luca's parents just adopting kids on the street left and right to play with them. Also they brought the statue stone that Luca's made to fool them to the surface and replace the scary statue of people hunting sea monster with this harmless cute statue. 😭😭💖
6. Alberto takes the turtle to live with him and Massimo. The cat was about to throw hands because he was eating from his bowl lmao
7. I bet that the cat didn't like the turtle at first but soon enough warming up and becomes best buddy. They name the turtle Caligola and the grumpy cat name is Machiavelli. 😭 + Alberto brought the vinyl player over and it seems like Machiavelli is getting attached easily to this machine lol
8. Luca finally got to use bigger telescope to see the stars.
9. Luca being a precious nerd that got so excited at the sight of so many thick books.
10. I bet the dog likes Luca immediately in their first meeting, also now I understand why Giulia was dressing like that, she is copying her mom style lol + Luca and Giulia sending letters from Genova to Portorosso.
Part 1. Part 3.
5K notes · View notes
Luca is so full of queer subtext omfg???
Luca's parents trying to send him to "the Deep" conversion therapy as a form of protection because they're worried if he keeps going to the surface displaying his queerness people will harm him?
Especially when they find out he's going to the surface with someone else hanging out with someone deemed a deviant that's going to turn him gay??
Luca's grandma encouraging his exploration of the surface and his curiosity himself and his identity and feeding him positivity about it because she herself went through the same process when she was younger???
Alberto's father abandoning him because he deems him as old enough to take care of himself "I will not tolerate you being like this under my roof. If you want to live with me you have to stop being like this." and Alberto didn't so he was abandoned????
Luca and Alberto never having any real friends or close bonds like this and thus bond extremely quickly and decide they want to travel the world together just the two of them????? Tell me which queer kid HASN'T thought of doing this with their first real crush.
Luca's parents stepping outside of their world and into the new world Luca's gone into in order to find him in an attempt to save him their heteronormative world into the deviant world Luca's gone into in the name of "concern and protection" to take him to The Deep before he "gets hurt"??????
Alberto becoming increasingly jealous and frustrated as he feels his one close and new friend crush, admirer, and confidant being stolen away by some other new stranger and getting side tracked from their shared dreams??
Alberto revealing he's a sea creature queer to Giulia in order to show Luca that they wouldn't be accepted and even harmed and thus should just continue their goal of it just being the two of them on their worldwide journey (he's a very angsty kid okay)???
Luca denouncing Alberto and their true forms out of anger and fear in order to protect himself and stay in the new human world he found in order to be comfortable and their queerness in order to hide himself and stay closeted in the new, safe world away from his parents that want to send him away???????
Luca revealing that he's a sea creature a queer kid in order to save Alberto who also risked revealing that he's a sea creature queer to the whole town in order to help Luca win the race and keep him from revealing outing himself????
The old ladies revealing that they've been sea creatures they're both queer and been in a relationship together the whole time after seeing the newer generation brave enough to be themselves for the sake and safety of each other???????? And that they're probably who Grandma goes to see when she goes to town every weekend?????????
Alberto having a common queer journey of found family in Giulia and Massimo whilst Luca has the common queer journey of having his family accept him as he is and let him go into the world, assured that he would be fine because he has amazing supports by his side????
Alberto and Luca holding onto each other as long as physically possible before the train pulled away, and the shot going to their hands holding on before slipping out of each other, finally followed by Alberto chasing down the train until the end of the platform IN THE RAIN?????????? As if that's NOT a trope straight (heeheehhee) out of a hetero romance movie???????????
It's just... the metaphors, the subtext.... its everywhere! Apart from the subtext though it's two friends taking on this new world together, achieving and finding new dreams, and growing as people. Its also about found family, acceptance, and most importantly love. It's definitely going down as my most favorite Pixar movie in a long while.
5K notes · View notes
If we're taking the "sea-monster" as a metaphor for being queer and that acceptance then people, we gotta talk about Luca's Granny.
Luca's Granny who quietly encourages him to branch out, explore the surface, be brave, test the boundaries.
Luca's Granny who covers for him from his over-protective but well-meaning parents when they don't approve. Who doesn't give a shit they don't approve, see's the importance of Luca finding his own way in life.
Luca's Granny who, at the end of the film, very casually says "Oh this place? I've been coming here for years!" with no husband in sight.
Between this and Moana, I 100% stan quietly supportive people who work behind the scenes, letting the young ones find their own path but opening up the doors for them, just a crack to let the light through.
3K notes · View notes