You can never leave home. You take it with you no matter where you go. Home is between your teeth, under your fingernails, in the hair follicles, in your smile, in the ride of your hips, in the passage of your breasts.
Maya Angelou (1928-2014) American poet, memoirist, activist
2K notes · View notes
Okay, I'll bite, especially because I'm not seeing a lot of fans discussing these thoughts...Kingsley, minus a few feelings and vague memories, hasn't done anything that wouldn't fit with a Mollymauk with most of his memories removed. Kingsley could easily be a Mollymauk mostly rebooted back to when he woke up before he met the circus...just like Caduceus asked to put the soul back as it was.
How much of your identity is from your memories, and how much of your identity is from muscle memory (juggling), and how much of your identity is from your heart/"soul"?
A true character analysis would deserve a lot more than what I'm currently going to say, but just a few points:
1) Mollymauk woke up saying "empty" for a few weeks. So did Kingsley (until the restoration spell seemed to accelerate the process).
2) Mollymauk never recognized that who he was before he "woke up" was him. He was obstinate and irrational about denying the identity that came before his current existence even when old memories surfaced.
3) One of the first things that The Mighty Nein said to their newly revived purple tiefling is that they suggested that maybe he might want to change his name...which he promptly did once he woke up out of his fugue state. (Side note, that was actually a good move on their part...Mollymauk was never truly his name...per Taliesin on the Talks Machina for c2e14, Gustav named him Mollymauk. Taliesin said, "He didn't choose his name. It was chosen for him." Kingsley at least was allowed to choose his own name.)
4) Mollymauk was obsessed with looking fashionable/stylish and modeled his fashion off of the first people who took him in. Kingsley did the same.
5) Kingsley appears to have residual feelings about The Mighty Nein that mirror Mollymauk's feelings for them.
6) Mollymauk was very extra, indulged to excess, and was joyful but also sarcastic and judgemental of others. Kingsley's personality mirrors Mollymauk's personality.
6) Mollymauk was a con artist, but he always said to himself that he was a con artist but not in a mean way. He tried to convince himself he wasn't hurting anyone. Kingsley will apparently figure out an elaborate con to steal a boat and abandon Fjord in order to join the Revelry, no doubt while also gathering a cult of personality around him like he does. He will be "a pirate, but not the worst." A good con artist. A pirate, but not the worst.
The nature of this character remains the same. This character was always about waking up with only vague memories and starting almost completely anew.
"It's not the best thing that happened to me; it's the thing that happened to me. I found peace in building a new person." -Mollymauk, "Fleeting Memories" (Episode 14)
1K notes · View notes
I have spent years of my life agonising over my sexuality and gender in search for the perfect label
I am now 37 and my best advice is find whatever is the closest whose flag you like the best
Am I aromantic or just too autistic to understand the nuance between platonic and romantic attraction? Who knows! What I do know is that aro is close enough and the abbreviation is cool
Am I bisexual? Pansexual? Ambiguously queer? Idk but the bi flag is pretty so I pick that one
There are no hard or fast rules and it's all personal anyway so find what's comfortable enough to sit in and if after a few years you decide you like a different label saunter over and set up camp
You are an ever growing and changing individual and you know yourself best
3K notes · View notes