hello everyone. i feel like sharing these so have my empires heroforges! with some notes about them as well :]
katherine: armored upper body, closed off body language, shield that resembles the house blossom banner, fairy wings!, curved sword because it simply felt right
pearl: open body language (about to strike), INCREDIBLY JACKED, shield that resembles the helianthian banner, netherite sword, big ass wings that were accidentally the wrong color.
gem: very kind demeanor, long skirt because she lives at very high altitudes, red nails/ribbon on braid (roseblings real), gandalf!, purple/black dragon wings
lizzie: VERY TALL, smiling mischievously, suspiciously golden egg, dagger on side You Can Trust Her :], little bag for her scamming money
pixl: weathered trident, red/black ear piercings (gunpowder boys real), very weathered lantern, mask because he is in the desert, water canteen because he is in the desert, a couple of copper rings, dad sandals real
All twelve rulers of the Empires SMP! One 2-hr painting a day for twelve consecutive days—this was a really fantastic exercise and it was a nice way to relax and take my mind off things while I’m sick with Covid. Thank you to everyone who followed along as I progressed! It’s unfortunate that being sick prevented me from being able to take commissions this winter but I’m glad I was able to do these, if I go too long without painting I get all itchy inside 😅
Some take-aways from doing this series:
- I love painting faces! I feel like this is apparent, but worth mentioning.
- I’m very bi. I feel like this is also apparent, but also worth mentioning ;)
- Speaking of, Empires has a really fantastic gender balance!! This makes me very happy.
- The number of highlights that are visible in the eyes really affects how you interpret the characters’ personalities. I plan to speak more on this later :3
- There are only so many different angles of 3/4 view faces and I think I might have found them all
- While getting Covid is really awful on my body, it turns out to be amazing for my tumblr activity statistics. Silver linings!
I don’t often do this (and I can’t link it because tumblr hates links) but if you enjoyed this series, I have a Ko-Fi I can plug if you’re interested in supporting me that way! The link is in my bio ☕️ 🥰
Bonus reference image under the cut so you can compare my paintings to the original skins:
Which Empires POV You should watch: A Guide
Interested in Empires SMP but you don’t know which cc to watch? Maybe this guide will help! Note that some of these charts are my own interpretations so feel free to correct me!
(Map of all empires, from Pixlriffs’s episode 17)
1. If you want an overall look at everything that’s happening, you should watch at least one person from each alliance (and the neutrals).
Wither rose alliance: fWhip, GeminiTay, MythicalSausage, PearlescentMoon
Neutral (has allies from both sides): KatherineElizabeth, Scott/Smajor/Dangthatsalongname, Shelby/Shubble
Codvengers: Jimmy/Solidarity, Joel/SmallishBeans, Lizzie/LDShadowLady, Pixlriffs
Note that this chart isn’t exactly perfect for the later episodes. And just imagine Katherine, Scott, and Shelby are on top of each other since they’re equally anti-demon.
What demon? Well... just watch to find out!
2. Empires has a LOT of great lores and chaos. You can determine who to watch by deciding your chaos tolerance, or whether you’d prefer watch the storyline or just see the cool builds without it.
- If you want a lot of chaos and humor, you should watch Joel, Jimmy, fWhip, Joey, or Sausage. Joel is a menace in general, Jimmy gets pranked a LOT, fWhip and Sausage pranks Jimmy a LOT, and Joey is a menace but with extra evil laugh.
- Gem is supposed to be the sane one in her alliance but fWhip and Sausage dragged her into the chaos so much that she participates in creating chaos anyway. Same goes for Pearl, but she’s less involved than Gem.
- Pix has chill dad vibes but pulls a very, VERY high effort pranks. He’s in some sort of prank war with Sausage.
- Lizzie, Katherine, and Scott are pretty chill but they sometimes get involved in pranks.
- Shelby is probably the most chill since she hasn’t been involved in any war except with the demon.
- If you want to see the storyline, Gem and Scott are probably your best choice. Especially Scott.
- Shelby has an interesting backstory, related to the demon lore.
- Sausage went through 4 character arcs with constant chaotic energy.
- Joey shows a polar opposite view from most other cc.
- Pix has a storyline that’s not tied to the main lore. Same goes for Lizzie and Jimmy.
- Jimmy was kind of the center of everything at the beginning, but it’s mostly just chaos instead of roleplay.
3. Empires has been going on from June 2021 and up to 11/18/2021, here’s the total length of the published episodes from every cc (not counting streams)
From shortest to longest, we got:
Lizzie: 3h 45m (19 episodes)
Shelby: 5h 26m (14 episodes, last to join)
Pearl: 6h 34m (10 episodes)
Katherine: 6h 42m (25 episodes)
Jimmy: 6h 45m (20 episodes)
Gem: 7h 19m (18 episodes)
Scott: 8h 39m (27 episodes)
Joel: 9h 17m (28 episodes)
Pix: 10h 6m (28 episodes)
Joey: 12h 8m (25 episodes, 2nd last to join)
fWhip: 14h 29m (30 episodes)
Sausage: 22h 6m (41 episodes)
If you still can’t decide, I’ll elaborate more about the aesthetics of each empire, and what makes each POV intriguing to watch!
These screenshots are pretty old (mostly from Sausage’s episode 24) but I’m too lazy to do a newer research lmaoo
1. Grimlands, ruled by Count fWhip, aka the server admin.
- Main export: gunpowder
- Also offers TNT services ‘for cleaning’
- Combination of medieval and steampunk, has villagers running around
- Blimps, robots, and a railroad powered by salmon
- Creator of chaos, would start a war just for funsies
- Friendly corruption freshly extracted from deepslate redstone ore
- Great vibes overall!
2. Crystall Cliffs, ruled by Great Wizard GeminiTay.
- Main export: amethyst
- It's also the source of magic
- Gem's character is unique, she's a wizard instead of an emperor/empress
- Cool palette for cool fantasy buildings, also cool statues (not shown in the image)
- Deserves so much credit after being the assigned babysitter of Wither Rose Alliance and getting tied up in the middle of lore
- Cool hat
- Comfy vibes, Gem is great!
3. Mythland, ruled by King Mythical Sausage.
- So. Many. Buildings. A chonky medieval empire in the dark forest
- Main export: iron
- Shaders often on
- Sausage makes REALLY great cinematics. All of these views are taken from his episodes!
- High energy, will make you think "what the hell is wrong with this guy"
- King has gone through several different phases please bear with him
- What, angst? No there’s definitely no angst here whatsoever haha
4. Gilded Helianthia, The Land of Farmer Queen Pearlescent Moon.
- Finally has an official name!
- Natural, countryside aesthetic
- Main export: sugar cane
- Buff queen has excellent PvP skills
- Not too much chaos but Pearl’s looking for chaos actually!
- Will adopt a demon...?
- Long videos of featured clips, I love her timelapsing style
- Isn’t around much but still a fun one to watch!
5. House Blossom, ruled by Katherine, Guardian of the Overgrown.
- Fairy castle in flower forest, has a fantasy feeling
- Main export: flowers and dye
- Shaders almost always on
- A lot of mini-projects like plushie making and baby empires
- Neutral towards other empires, still gets roped into chaos anyways
- Her hobbies include stealing (with compensation) and murder (with permission)
- Katherine's videos are always aesthetically pleasing!
6. Rivendell, ruled by Emperor Scott.
- Unique fantasy buildings in the mountains
- Main export: wool
- Lore central, very complex backstory, assigned anime protagonist
- Excellent vibes, not too chaotic but is still very fun, great storytelling
- A very great musical number ft. Lizzie (also related to lore)
- Probably the coolest empire :-) also, did anyone say angst?
- Love story
- Seriously you’ll be missing a BIG part of the story if you don’t watch him
7. Cod Empire, ruled by The Codfather Jimmy.
- (The screenshot is kinda crappy i apologize)
- Swamp boy exports slime
- Has an obsession with cod, his curse of binding cod head had caused war
- Jimmy gets picked on a lot but it makes his POV even more interesting
- Words by Jimmy himself, he’s not a builder
- His building might not be great but he has great friends
- Full of fun interactions with other empires member, in my opinion has the best dynamic with everyone
- Also love story
8. Mezalea, ruled by King Joel.
- Fantastic middle-eastern colorful builds in the mesa, the chonkiest empire i’m pretty sure. It’s just THAT big
- Main export: terracotta
- (Horse dying noise)
- Has a music records and created a hit diss track
- Really chaotic energy, will also make you go “what the hell is wrong with this guy”
- Talks over his timelapses, sometimes about weird things
- His villagers are clones of himself
- Watch Joel if you don’t really care about lore but still want to see great interactions between other rulers!
- Marriage arc
9. Ocean Empire, ruled by Queen Lizzie.
- Very lovely fantasy aesthetic, just look at those lilypads islands!
- Exports prismarine and other ocean goods
- Shaders almost always on
- Not too chaotic and not too long, still rich in funny moments
- The Queen is an ancient girlboss born from big pristine egg
- A very great musical number ft. Scott (also related to lore)
- Marriage arc
- Axolotls. Big, strong axolotls.
10. Pixandria, Ruled by Copper King Pixlriffs.
- Desert kingdom, very far from the other empires
- Exports copper and honey
- A lot of cool farms and redstone mechanics
- Probably has the coolest monument in all of empires
- Suffers through counting all deaths on the server
- A++ storytelling
- Shaders sometimes on
- Pixl probably has the best cinematics out of everyone. His POV is one of my favorites!
- please at least watch the ender dragon fight from his POV it’s just that good
11. The Lost Empire, ruled by Emperor Joey.
- Inspired by Aztec temples, very colorful and cool!
- Exports totems of undying, which he gains from trespassing
- Shaders often on
- Really funny, causes a lot of troubles, very evil
- I don’t know if Joey is normally family friendly or not, but he’s not family friendly here in empires.
- Also definitely “what the hell is wrong with this guy”
- Love story. Yeah, definitely love story.
12. The Undergrove, ruled by Gnome Queen Shrub.
- Natural and fantasy aesthetic. Cool mushroom houses!
- Exports mushrooms, warped stems, and crimson stems
- If you only watch Shubble you might miss the interaction with other empires, but her involvement with the lore is very important
- Shaders often on
- Stays out of trouble, very chill vibes!
- Tiny queen, big dogs (and also regular-sized dogs)
Now if you still can’t decide who to watch, you should probably follow the advice of watching everyone’s 1st episode and decide who’s your favorite out of all.
Also just mentioning, I watch all POVs playlist but I did skip through some videos in the middle of the series so this might not be very accurate. I started the series watching Shubble from streams, then Joey, then Sausage, Pix, fWhip, Gem, Jimmy, Pearl, and Scott. So I might have not elaborated Joel, Lizzie, and Katherine’s POVs in great detail but I do have a general view of their videos.
I hope this guide helps!
Some dishes from a couple different empires! :D
Wrote down some of my headcanons below the cut
the codlands one is a fish soup that contains salmon, kelp, barley, ice plants and salicornia. despite being called the codlands, many of the fish they eat is actually salmon. jimmy ordered all salmon they could find to be killed which lead to an over abundance of it in the empire. he did not put a ban on eating it, so for the time this policy is in place most codlandian food contains salmon.
the salicornia and iceplants have been bred by the codlands to be bigger and more flavorful. most of the crops there are coastal plants.
the undergrove dish consists of stuffed pumpkin, fried mushrooms and wine/juice. the pumpkin is likely winter squash and its stuffed with a filling that consists of ground meat from chicken, rabbits or quails, various nuts and berries and tomatoes and it has an egg cracked in it. pretty much all the livestock in the undergrove are rabbits, chickens, quails or small sheep/goats, as they are easier to keep for its halfling population. a lot of the vegetables in this empire come from foraging or small comunity gardens and nuts are used for basically everything, even flour. the drink is either juice or wine made from forest berries.
the grimlands one is a steak served with potato wedges, a fried egg and wither roses. the grimlands are one of the few empires that actually have cows, as its one of the few ones with fitting terrain. the grimlands in general have a wide range of meat in their diet and are known for their fine preperation of it. however, vegetables are not treated the same way. the most common one they eat are potatoes.
wither roses and their stems are highly toxic in their natural state, but the people of the grimlands have developed a technique of preparing them that completely neutralizes the toxins. the roses add a very distinct taste to the dish and are commonly used for seasoning. the thorns may look spiky, but theyve been softened through cooking to a point where they have a way gentler texture.
the mezalean dish consists of flatbread, a horse curry kinda thing, cooked cactus fruit and some sauces. mezalean food is very spicy in general, as many different spices thrive in the arid climate. the curry consists of horse meat, bellpeppers and chickpeas.
mezaleans are masterful potters, which is why all their dishware are covered in colorful and lavish patterns. traditionally they dont use any cutlery, eating food with their hands or using the flat bread to scoop it instead.
the dish from the ocean empire consists of wide noodles, steamed fish thats been wrapped in kelp, steamed crab and octopus. fish in the ocean empire is usually either steamed or eaten raw. they dont really have vegetables in their diet, they do however eat a wide range of kelp.
their version of plates are mats that have been woven out of dried sea grass.
helianthias dish is quite similar to a charcuterie board. it has a hearty stew, some homemade bread and goat cheese, fresh grapes and beer. helianthias cuisine is rich in fresh vegetables and many types of animal products. the cheese from this area is considered by many a delicacy and can go for high prices in the far corners of the server.
the vegetables and fruit in helianthia are larger than normal, the soil there is rich and the people are talented farmers.
house blossoms dish is an assortment of various pastries and some flower tea. the people of house blossom use flowers in nearly all of their cooking, which gives their food a wide range of vibrant colors and sweet tastes. the empire is well know for its baked goods, jams, syrups and wines all produced from flowers. they also make a wide range of teas, all of which having some medicinal properties.
the one from the mythlands consists of a baked ham almost drowned in gravy, some local sausages, skewers and beer. mythlands food is kind of what youd find in your standard fantasy tavern. hearty and filling. they also generally contain a lot of meat in various forms. blood sausage is especially popular among the people. most meat consists of pork and sometimes beef, mutton is not eaten as often as its considered sacred by many.
mythland also does not fail to deliver on vegetables, many coming from within its own borders, but a good chunk of it stemming from trade with helianthia.