Who are you bowing to Lan Wangji because it sure looks like Wei Wuxian
[So the Chang sect is super dead and Xue Yang makes his appearance…followed by Xiao Xingchen!!! I got excited because he is CUTE Y’ALL. He’s been on Xue Yang’s tail for half a month now. They fight, aided by Wei Wuxian, and Song Lan shows up as well.
Everyone makes their introductions and they search Xue Yang for the Yin metal, but they come up empty. As they search the compound, we also learn that Xue Yang has a personal grudge against the Chang sect (details are not revealed). Nie Huaisang then shows up with Jin Guangyao and some Nie sect members, and requests Lan Wangji’s presence at the Nie residence. It’s decided that they will part ways with XXC and SL, and the crew will bring Xue Yang back to the Nie sect for sentencing. Wei Wuxian learns that Xiao Xingchen’s master is also BSSR, but unfortunately, he doesn’t know anything about Wei Wuxian’s mother either as it was before his time.]
Differences from the novel:
- This sort of happens…but we learn of this in story form told by Lan Wangji? They track down the Chang sect in the present and Xiao Xingchen and Song Lan are both dead in the novel at this point. Xiao Xingchen had left BSSR’s tutelage about a year after Wei Wuxian’s death, and made a name for himself shortly after due to his prowess and willingness to help where help was needed. The Chang massacre happened around the same time, so Wei Wuxian (dead) and Lan Wangji (under house arrest) never met with them face-to-face while they were still alive.
- In Chapter 30, on their way to the Chang sect cemetery after the stopover at the tavern, we learn about Xue Yang’s story. He did indeed kill the Chang sect, but was then apprehended by Xiao Xingchen and handed over to the Jin sect, who did not want to prosecute Xue Yang because they learned he was in the process of learning how to replicate the Yin Hu Fu (the Yin tiger amulet/Stygian Tiger Amulet/whatever you want to call it), and the Jin sect wanted the tech for themselves. At this point, Nie Mingjue gets involved and demands Xue Yang’s execution in front of the other sects present, and so forces Jin Guangshan’s hand. He orders Xue Yang away to await execution (read: hidden in the dungeons), but then Nie Mingjue dies of qi deviation shortly after so they never see it through. How convenient *cough*.
- The Jin sect then forced the last remaining surviving heir of the Chang sect, Chang Ping, to recant his allegations against Xue Yang, so Xue Yang got out scot-free and proceeded to exact his revenge on Song Lan and Xiao Xingchen (story to be continued in Episode 30…something). Meanwhile, the Jin sect is now in control of a semi-workable Yin tiger amulet and we’ll see this in use later during the second siege at the Yiling burial mounds.
- Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji then encounter a graverobber at the Chang sect cemetery (keep in mind that everyone from the Chang sect is dead and buried at this point, since the events took place over a decade ago) - it is NOT Xue Yang, it is Su She.
- In order to help Jin Guangyao, Su She was attempting to retrieve Nie Mingjue’s torso before the duo could get to it, but he was forced to flee when they arrived as he was no match for the two of them. He had cast a spell over his face and sword to prevent recognition, but Wei Wuxian makes an observation that the assailant was intimately familiar with the Lan sect duelling techniques, although he can’t quite make heads or tails of the information right now.
[They head to Bujing Shi and it’s here that we first learn the Wen sect has ordered all major sects to send an heir to attend classes - similar to the Lan sect… except it’s really just a way to hold the sect heirs hostage. Nie Mingjue shows up - have we talked about how on point the casting for this show is?? Both Wei Wuxian and Jin Guangyao convince Nie Mingjue to send Xue Yang to the dungeons for now until the matter has been investigated as opposed to executing him. Meanwhile, poor Jin Guangyao keeps getting humiliated - this time by the captain of the armed forces.
It’s hinted that Xue Yang might be connected to Xue Chonghai in some way. The task force decides that the Wen sect must already know about Xue Yang’s capture, and Lan Wangji is tasked with returning to Gusu with the Yin metal. At night, Wei Wuxian runs into Jin Guangyao near the dungeon (foreshadowing!) and hangs out on the rooftop at Lan Wangji’s residence as he leaves.]
Differences from the novel:
- Since the Chang sect investigation takes place in the present, they do not visit Bujing Shi after. In the novel flashback (Chapter 51), Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng first learn about the Wen indoctrination from Madam Yu while they are at Yunmeng.
- As discussed above, the Nie sect/Nie Mingjue was not the primary prosecutor for Xue Yang, it was the Jin sect.
- Xue Chonghai doesn’t exist in the novel, it was never hinted that Xue Yang had special familial or ancestral ties with anyone. He was just a street urchin - albeit a dangerously smart, highly sociopathic one.
[In the morning, the Wen sect shows up for Xue Yang and the Yin metal, led by Wen Chao. Wen Chao is all talk and “I’m going to eradicate you…” and then hides behind Wen Zhuliu when the fight breaks out. Xue Yang escapes in the chaos and Nie Mingjue arrives… just in time to see Jin Guangyao stab the captain in the stomach. Wen Zhuliu is right behind and Jin Guangyao blocks the sword for Nie Mingjue, who has already suffered some heavy blows and looks to be in a pretty bad state.
Wen Chao announces that an army is already on the way to sack the Cloud Recesses - uh oh. He lets them off, but warns that if this continues, Bujing Shi will face a similar outcome. Back at the main reception hall, Jin Guangyao prostrates himself in front of Nie Mingjue and asks for forgiveness. He killed the captain for being a petty, insulting, glory-thieving wank and swears he saw him let Xue Yang go. Nie Mingjue spares his life in exchange for him having saved his earlier, but tells him to leave the Nie sect from now on - his services are no longer required.]
Differences from the novel:
- The Wen sect does not brazenly attack the Nie sect in the novel. However, the Nie sect does have bad blood with the Wen sect as Wen Ruohan had tampered with Nie Mingjue father’s saber during a night hunt, causing his father to eventually pass away from his injuries after his sword broke while battling a beast during the hunt. (Chapter 49)
- Nie Mingjue does see Jin Guangyao stab a commander in the novel, however, this was during the Sunshot campaign. To back up a bit - Jin Guangyao first served under Nie Mingjue during the campaign, but upon learning that he desired his father (Jin Guangshan)’s approval, Nie Mingjue sent him away to the Jin sect with a personal recommendation. Jin Guangyao then served out the rest of the campaign at Langya, under the Jin sect. When Nie Mingjue encounters him again, he sees him killing his Jin sect commander and is enraged. Jin Guangyao basically says the same things in the novel (that the commander is a a petty, insulting, glory-thieving wank), and Nie Mingjue is like yeah, but premeditated murder is wrong so turn yourself in… only to watch Jin Guangyao stab himself in the stomach in an apparent act of suicide. Horrified, Nie Mingjue lets his guard down just enough for Jin Guangyao to freeze his qi and escape. (Chapter 48) He’s understandably even more angry at being tricked and I personally think this is when his relationship with Jin Guangyao really took a turn.
so i had briefly heard talk of this, but only just officially researched and found out myself that the live action drama of the untamed was dubbed. i have been staring at the wall ever since. i don’t know if i’ve ever been more shocked and disturbed by anything else in my life.
Modern AU Lan Wangji can’t build IKEA furniture to save his life. Wei Wuxian can do it without instructions. I do not take criticism.
Warning! This a very long post, mostly about my feelings. LOL.
So, ep 41. Whoever thought going to the bad guy’s house was a good idea, needs the severe punishment of transcribing all 3000 rules from the Lan Clan. WWX got all the truth but no proof except his word, which of course, only his bf believes. At least that opened the way for that confession at the stairs, surrounded by enemies who were ready to kill them. Who knew such a scene could be so romantic? Also, who the f*ck needs an “I like you” or “I love you” when you can get the message across in a more original and swoonie way while also making it clear that you’re in your SO’s side no matter what. Even if it means you become a public enemy as well. Lan Zhan just got better and better each episode after the flashback ended
(and even before that he had his moments of brilliance). That dude has set the bar high for all the boyfriends in the world. Very high.
God! Those looks!!
sir this is a mcdonald’s drivethrough what are u doing
happy new fandom 🎉