I’ve been struggling with my first goal of consistently working to improve myself, mainly because I’ve been feeling overwhelmed.
So how can I deal with that?
- Notice the warning signs
- ‘collapse days’; distraction and trying to escape; being clingy while wanting to isolate myself; teary often; find it harder to help others with even little things; healthy choices and habits become hard; mention that I’m struggling often without ever actually asking for help (e.g. I’m tired, I’m feeling meh, etc.)
- Awareness of causes (merely observe)
- Being overwhelmed means that too much is going on, probably both emotionally and physically
- Try journalling, using listicles, talking to people, counselling
- What is due to my choices and what do I have no control over?
- Realise I don’t have to do anything –> what am I actively choosing to do?
- What agreements (with myself and others) do I need to renegotiate?
- What can I drop without serious consequences
- Share the burden of what I can’t change
- Be kind to myself
- Adjust my plans accordingly