As everyone is getting (rightfully!) pissed about Amazon taking the filming of their new Lord of the Rings series out of New Zealand to the UK, now seems like a good time to remind everyone that back in 2010, Warner Brothers basically blackmailed the entire country into passing anti-union labor laws, known as "Hobbit Law", that are still affecting film workers in New Zealand today. This was done with full vocal support of Peter Jackson, by the way. Amazon is scummy and deserves all the derision it's getting- but Warner Brothers, Newline Cinema and Jackson should not be let off the hook either. The original Lord of the Rings trilogy would not have been remotely the same iconic piece of media it was without the people, talent and amazing landscapes of New Zealand, and it's important to recognize both the country's contribution and how poorly they've been treated in this entire franchise.
8K notes · View notes
okay people who have been fighting to unwhitewash the clones, now is your time to help māori!!
- 182.41 hectares of our ancestral land in Wairarapa has come up for sale.
- This whenua backs onto our maunga Tararua, our awa, Waiohine and is near our whānau urupā, Te Uru o Tāneroa.
- The tender price is between $1.2-1.5 million.
- Our whānau are trying to raise money to meet the tender price.
- Our iwi has not settled, so we have no collective financial base.
- Our whānau want to buy back our whenua and establish papakāinga and sustainable business to bring our people home to Wairarapa.
If the tender is unsuccessful they will keep all donations for the next bit of land that comes up
(information has been copied from @/amscraig on twitter, who is a member of the iwi attempting to reclaim their land)
it is so disappointing that this is the only option to reclaim illegally stolen land for the iwi, but the government wont work towards settlement with many iwi so we have no other choice
if you have any money avaliable to donate please do, anything would be appreciated!
24K notes · View notes
i would just like to take the time to pour one out for the director general health of new zealand Dr Ashley Bloomfield this 54-yr-old married dude is literally just tryin to doing his job, but covid turned him into a household name and now has the entire fucking country simping for him
also im literally not even exaggerating 😂😂
THE POWER THIS MAN HAS??????????????
7K notes · View notes