Quarantine Exam/ Deadline Season: A PSA
Even though there’s been a movement toward representation of Real Studying, I want to add my own two, lockdown- themed, cents. I’ve just finished my last online exam of the year- I was so, so stressed about it, and so thankful that it’s over. Whilst I don’t want working yourself overboard and completely freaking out normalised, I feel like it’s so pervasive, and needs to be acknowledged. If you are freaking out about an exam, or an assignment, beyond all rationality and reason right now, you are not alone. If you’ve got that horrible, tummy- tightening, sick-y feeling, you are not alone. It’s not desirable, but it happens! Here’s the affirmation I wanted three days ago, before sitting my last assignment.
1) Things will work out, no matter what the result. You can only give your best- even if it doesn’t *feel* like your best.
2) Do not feel guilty for bringing yourself away from your work. You need free time to think straight- it’s counterproductive to continue to sit there if you can’t concentrate.
3) Make your workload tolerable! Peep the remainder of a pint in the picture above. Particularly *now*, it’s so important to make work as tolerable as can be- for example, I finished off a three hour revision session with a nice IPA, because I deserved it! So, if you’re a candle kid, rock it. If you love your pillows and blankets, chuck on a bit of music and prop yourself up in bed for some extra- lax goodness. If you’re a beer gal like me, rock a little drink at your desk! End the idea that studying has to be rock- hard, endlessly uncomfortable turmoil. Cushy, soft productivity is just as valid.
4) Take it day- by- day. Every single one of my Study Days this deadline/ exam season, I set myself up a manageable to- do list. This usually consisted of one or two readings, and an exam question to plan for at the end. By doing this, you’re setting yourself up for success: on a day when you’re feeling pretty eh, the to do list isn’t overwhelming- and on you’re super productive, eight- hour- slog- type days, there’s ample room to go above and beyond!
5) It’s been said over and over again, but: you are worth so, so much more than these scores- even more so than usual! A pandemic couldn’t stop you from trying, you bloody superhuman.
I sincerely hope that you’re doing okay, that you’re looking after yourself the very best that you can. But if you fall short, please don’t worry. I did, too! Particularly right now, your level best is so much more than enough. Wishing you all the very best, no matter what it is you’re doing!