Emerson came crashing in through the door, Togekiss swooping in behind them with a triumphant chirrup. Without warning, they wrapped their arms around Lucy Stevens’ waist and spun her around once, twice, three times.
Psyduck, deeply disturbed by the sudden commotion, gripped its head tightly. “Psy-y-y...”
“Em!” Lucy reminded herself to exhale fully as her flats returned to the ground. “What’s going on?”
“It’s gonna work out!” Emerson was so excited that they were shaking their hands, waving them up and down as though they were wet. “I got a response back, and it’s gonna be okay!”
Lucy beamed. “And weren’t we just talking about it? Look at that!”
Emerson nodded, unable to form words. Then, their face screwed up and they began to cry.
Despite herself, Lucy balked. She glanced at Psyduck, who was still reeling from the volatile emotions newly present in the room. She glanced at Togekiss, who had jumped from concern about Psyduck’s mental state to concern about its trainer‘s sudden shift. She looked back at her partner. “What’s wrong?” she asked, with a reporter’s urgency.
“I—“ Em wiped at their face with one hand and held out another for Togekiss to perch. “Sorry, it’s just— a lot of emotions, I guess, and— I was holding onto it for a while, I was so nervous—“ They sucked a long, slow breath in, then let it out. They smiled. “I’m okay.” Togekiss nuzzled their neck.
“Good,” Lucy murmured, smiling up at Em as she crouched down to comfort Psyduck.
“Oh, Psyduck, I’m so sorry!” Em shrugged off their backpack. “I have a Lum berry. Give me one sec and we’ll get rid of that headache. I wasn’t thinking, I’m sorry!”
“It’s okay,” Lucy said in Psyduck’s stead, massaging the poor duck’s temples as she hid another smile at her partner’s thoughtfulness. “It’s just the shock, plus all of the emotions— it’s a lot for this guy to handle.”
Em grinned as they held out a small green berry, their eyes rimmed a little red. “You and me both, little buddy.”
FIVE TIMES KISSED || always accepting
five times kissed peter & gwen // @thrspidcr
1. the first time is the SPARK. neither knew a first date could be so easy, so comfortable. her laughs fill the air of the pizza parlor he’s brought her to. the best slices on this side of the river !! so he claims suddenly, the air is heavy && they feel the weight draw them together. though his hands fidget && the nervousness of both creeps into the quick brush of lips, this is the START of the fire. they are content to burn.
2. the second time is filled with all the HOPES of a childhood love. summer draws to a close, yet she casts this moment to memory. the sun gently warming her skin, grass beneath her palms as she props herself up, peter insisting the light is reflecting her eyes just perfectly. click, click, click. photos taken && she can’t help the giggle before she closes the distance between them. she swears this is all she’s ever wanted. neither cares that fall will fill their days with classes at esu, that they will have less time for moments like this. for now, the world is perfect. they believe it will last forever.
3. the third time is UNSURE. she never meant to doubt him, never meant to call into question his devotion to her ( it is plain as day to any passing stranger ) yet with every unexplained disappearance && dodgy excuse, she can’t help the suspicion that bubbles inside of her. is it mj ?? are you ... seeing her ?? it nearly breaks her to see how the questions cut him. his kiss is full of reassurances. you’re the one that i love. it’s always been you. he never explains where he disappears to
4. the fourth time promises a FUTURE. the city bustles around them as they settle into their routines. pencil scratches across a personal calendar as she marks the days she has labs, the shifts he’s working at the bugle, the date nights they’ve set aside to revisit that pizza parlor where it all began. lost in the task, she barely notices when he slides a key across the dining room table to her. i figured you’re over here so often anyway... && she feels as if her heart will explode as she conveys every happiness he has given her into that kiss she would marry him in an instant if he asked
5. the fifth time is a GOODBYE she cannot feel. in the final moments, she had realized who the spider was, felt the betrayal of the one she loved the most. she hardly has time to register the realization before it all goes black. she won’t know the way he cradles her head or gently brushes back her hair from her face. she won’t know how he calls her name until his voice breaks. she won’t know that he grazes his lips across her forehead before he leaps into his own personal hell. two people die beneath that bridge
2 notes · View notes