i learned that a Japanese company has awarded its non-smoking employees 6 extra vacation days to compensate for the smoker’s smoke breaks (x)
𝗹𝗶𝗺𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝘂𝗺𝗮𝗻 𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆 !
body heat — 107.6 F
cold water — 40 F
hot air — 300 F
starvation — 3 weeks
diving depth — 282 feet
lack of oxygen — 11 minutes
blood loss — 40%
high altitude — 15. 000 feet
you know you have problems when the only way to do something “basic” such as tidying your room, brushing your teeth or simply washing your face is doing it listening to music. Like if i’m not listening to something i can’t function…
Eddie Munson is seriously hot
Potoos share a more recent common ancestor with hummingbirds than they do with owls. So, that means these two birds are more closely related to each other..
...than these two birds, which really aren’t that closely related at all :)
For those who don't know:
Snickers is a verb
Fortune cookies were made in the US
The UK lost 2 wars to Iceland
England and the Netherlands were at war for 335 years
Pineapple on pizza is Canadian
Nothing is Shakespearan English slang for vagina
Have a nice day
IM HYPERFIXATED SO GUESS WHAT. RAMBLE TIME.
Did y'all know that there's a program looking to un-extinct various animals across Europe??? It's known as Rewilding and it looks SO AMAZING. They're best known for Project Tauros, breeding Aurochs back into existence, but also are working to return wolf breeds, truly wild horses, deer/elk/ibex, birds like the Dalmatian Pelican, and types of small rodents back!! Their aim is to return key species into the ecosystems that lost them due to hunting/poaching/general human expansion!
Not only are they working from selective, hands on, breeding, but also releasing groups into wildlife reserves to repopulate the needed areas in passive form!! On TOP of that, they're also working with locals to build better relationships with the animals!! Eco-tourism building, guard dog and fencing programs (for the carnivore programs), and even refusing to add in breeds that could endanger humans (like adding fighting bulls to the Auroch's breed pool)!!
Anywho I can never become a scientist in that area of expertise cause I love art too much and I hate that much math/reading, but I am SUPER fascinated and intrigued and thought y'all might find it neat!!
Link to their page + an article Abt the Tauros program!!
Hedgehogs are just spicy hamsters.
i learned that dogs "play sneeze" when they're feeling excited or playful. "Play sneezes" mean your dog is having a good time and indicate to other dogs that their behavior is only play (x)
I love the fact that your vampires have the "one true love/partner for life" thing, is such an interesting and angsty premise (and is something that I have as well for my own vamps in my personal worldbuilding project).
What else can you tell us about your vampires in general in this setting? They can be depicted in so many ways and I always love to hear how other people adapt them to their own stories. 🥰
They mate for life (as you mentioned). Their soul bond is the strongest bond— besides the bond between a coven— that a vampire can possibly forge. To be mated to a vampire is a two way street but the vampire feels it at a much more intense level than their human (or sometimes lycan) counterpart. It’s because of this instinctive need to protect and claim that most vampires will change their mate (if they’re human) in order to have some semblance of protection for them; if, for some reason, they’re not there themselves.
To complete said soul bond the two in question need to bite one another on the neck; sharing their scent with the other in order for everyone else to know that they’re claimed (and having the mark). To mess with a Claimed or their mark is one of the highest offenses a person can make and is usually met with a brutal end. If the other half of the soul bond were to perish the other would follow… as they wouldn’t be able to live in a world without their mate.
Vampires are usually broken into various groups— the ones who feed on humans, the ones who feed on different types of animals, the ones who feed on both, and the ones who are more animalistic in nature— with the Velyran family being the third.
Vampires have various powers (or gifts) depending on the individual… the more broad abilities are heightened senses, agility, strength, and almost impenetrable skin (though there are things that can kill them).
Covens are usually comprised of 5 main members but they have been known to reach over 50 members.
The more animalistic vampires have truly given into their beast. There’s not a shred of humanity left within them and they’re usually killed on sight (as they’d definitely kill you if they got the chance). Because of their fall they don’t even look human anymore (truly).
Vampires usually have normal colored eyes— with red hues strewn throughout— but their eyes will turn coal black if they feel threatened or angry.
Vampires have the capacity to not only growl/roar but purr too.
Do You Know?
Sunsets on Mars are blue!
The Curiosity Mars rover's first color photograph of a sunset in 2015 revealed a surprising twist — sunsets on Mars are blue.
NASA said this is because "dust in the Martian atmosphere has fine particles that permit blue light to penetrate the atmosphere more efficiently than longer-wavelength colors" like yellow, orange, and red.
Why Our Earth's Sunset Is Red Or Orange In Colour?
Sunsets and sunrises can be some of the most beautiful natural spectacles, but what makes the sky turn different colours during these times?
A lesson in colour
To begin, we need to understand how we see colour. Light travels from the Sun and through the atmosphere in invisible waves. Light that looks white to us, is actually made up of many different colours of differing wavelengths. For example, blue has a short wavelength, while red is created by longer wavelengths.
At sunrise and sunset, the Sun is very low in the sky, which means that the sunlight we see has travelled through a much thicker amount of atmosphere. Because blue light is scattered more strongly by the atmosphere, it tends to be scattered several times and deflected away in other directions before it gets to us. This means that there is relatively more yellow and red light left for us to see.
Light has less atmosphere to travel through. Reaching Earth's atmosphere, it is scattered in all directions, therefore we see blue sunlight. Blue is scattered more than other colours because it travels as shorter, smaller waves. However, at sunset, light has further to travel through the atmosphere. The shorter wavelength blue light is scattered further, as the sunlight passes over a greater distance, and we see the longer wavelength yellow and red light.
Steve Harrington in very hot
Tumblr is the sanctuary of every introvert on earth, you just can't prouve me wrong.
I know this!
So basically the bananas that your grandparents or great-grandparents ate aren’t what you bought at the grocery store last week.
In the middle of the 20th century an aggressive fungus was attacking all the Gros Michel banana variety trees and nearly wiped them off the face of the earth. People panicked because Gros Michel was packed full of flavor and dominated the banana market. The fungal attack was particularly devastating because banana trees are genetically identical to each other. They don’t have seeds and instead propagate by growing off the bases of fallen or older trees.
Scientists and farmers discovered the fungus didn’t attack another variety, the Cavendish banana, and farmers made the switch in order to fill the banana market demand. Unfortunately, while it could survive the fungus, Cavendish isn’t as flavorful as Gros Michel and has a slightly different taste.
As an added twist, banana flavoring in candies, jello, ice cream, etc stayed the same. Why would companies make their flavoring taste less like bananas? But since then several generations have grown up never tasting the Gros Michel bananas. Now banana-flavored treats taste wrong because they’re based on a defunct variety.
Crowley, like many people who lived through the “great banana switch”, was used to the Gros Michel variety and is still weirded-out about the flavor change with Cavendish.
TL;DR: Seventy years ago the world switched from one banana variety to another because of a super fungus. The current variety tastes different, but banana-flavored treats didn’t change their recipe to keep up. Crowley either missed the switch or still hasn’t gotten used to the new variety.
@neil-gaiman is a cool history nerd.
Random Facts About Kristina. <3
Tags: @rheawritesforfun @digitl-art-monstr @thelaundrybitch @turtle-babe83 @post-apocalyptic-daydream @leosgirl82 @raphslovemuffin80 @raphielover @drowninghell @mysticboombox
- She has a photographic memory.
- Mother is a police woman. Father is a nurse.
- Her mother offered to help train her with firearms when she was younger, but she was afraid of them so she refused. She eventually does learn in her mid to late teens. She also carries around pepper spray and other self defense tools everywhere she goes. Originally, Kris had very little if any kind of combat abilities, generally relying on her intelligence to get her out of sticky/dangerous situations. However, not long after meeting the turtles, and going on numerous adventures with them, they convince her to learn ninjitsu and she becomes a highly competent fighter, displaying proficiency in martial arts and marksmanship.
- Kristina is an only child, raised by her parents Westly and Lorie who were originally from Denmark. They moved to New York after they got married. Her mother was in an accident and couldn't bear/conceive children, so they used her father's sperm and had a friend be their surrogate.
- Her birth mom, the friend, is a lovely Egyptian woman. She is basically an aunt to Kristina, and even after finding out she is her birth mother, Kris continues to see her as an aunt and nothing else.
- Growing up, Kristina was fascinated by ancient Greek and Egyptian mythology. She studied it in her free time, and wrote, read, and watched things about it. One of her dreams was to become a Egyptologist from a young age. She longed to travel the world, especially go to Egypt and Greece. A few of her biggest role models growing up were Evelyn O'Connell, Indiana Jones, and Lara Croft. She dreamed of being like them one day.
- At age 15, Kris was able to get a part time job at a book store. She worked there till she graduated High School and eventually quit to become a librarian when she was 18/19. She also goes to the New York University (also known as NYU) to study to become an Egyptologist or an Archaeologist. Eventually somewhere along the line she meets the Hamato brothers. And she couldn't be more happy to have them in her life.
- Kristina tends to be a optimistic person and tries to look on the bright side of things. She can be a bit skittish at times, but she's confident in some situations.
- She's relentless in her goals.
- She knows how to write and read ancient texts, and understand ancient tongues. As an adult, Kris retains her passion for knowledge and becomes more mature and less frightened.
- During her teen years, Kristina said that she had no time for romances, despite her later feelings for Raph, and when finally wedded to Raphael Hamato, she became inseparable from him.
- Kristina is incredibly hyperactive, cheerful, intelligent, bubbly, and optimistic. She's kind to everyone she meets, never threatening or harming anyone directly. Despite frequent scientific complications, Kris finds each failure as an opportunity to learn. She also admitted she had poor people skills and thought if she could help people, they would like her.
- She remembers the most random things. And likes to spew little weird facts at people.
- She's obsessed with books. She takes them with her everywhere. Literally everywhere. She always has at least one book on her person at all times. If you can't find her reading, she'll most likely be writing/drawing, practicing calligraphy or researching random facts.
- She tried to teach herself the hula dance from Lilo & Stitch when she was little, this resulted in her taking hula classes. Something she stopped during high school because, and I quote, "I just don't have the time". Though she does love to hula, and is pretty good at it.
- Kris has always been very serious about her grades. She's very smart, a classic nerd. She worked so hard, she never really made friends in school. She was always studying or doing some form of school work. She was constantly invited to things, but after a while of her constantly declining hanging out, people just stopped bothering to ask at all. This made her a bit of a loner in high school. But she had her books and she was mainly content.
- This is one of the main reasons why she cherishes the turtles friendship so much. Because she never really had any real friends before. It's a foreign feeling/experience but she loves it. And she does her best to be a good friend in return, despite her poor people skills.
- "For science!" a classic catchphrase of hers. Kristina will get herself in trouble/mischief sometimes and when lectured by a friend/family member she'll almost always respond with; "I had to do it, for science!" (or something of the sort)
- Curiosity may just be the end of her. (Raph definitely hovers and feels like he has to keep a close eye on her, lest she go off and do something dumb in the name of curiosity/science).
- She's obsessed with Donnie's lab. She thinks it's very cool and could spend hours in there if they let her. Kris and Donnie definitely go into little tangents, they could talk for hours about science and similar topics.
- Kris and Mikey are doodle buddies. I can honestly see them hanging out for hours just drawing with each other. They'd share little tips and tricks and show each other their art work. It'd be really cute and wholesome.
- She likes to read/draw/write/study while Raph works out. If you can't find her with Donnie, you'll most likely find her with Raphael. Sometimes she'll join him, but she'd rather sit on his shell while he's doing push ups, or lay underneath him, or off to the side somewhere and watch him work. She finds it very attractive, and she likes to watch him train. She thinks it/he's cool lol.
- (mainly for RiseLeo) Kris does not understand his jokes/puns a good majority of the time. Humor isn't really her thing, and sometimes she'll just sit there like; O.O. "I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that. Do you think you could explain the joke to me?" Leo probably either A) tries even harder to make her laugh/react. Or B) eventually just gives up entirely and tries to avoid telling her jokes. "Why do I even try with you?" (LMAO) I can totally see Leo telling a joke and Kris not understanding it, and immediately following up with the most bizarre fact and then Leo's the one who's confused/disturbed.
Leo: *pulls off some kind of cringey dad joke*
Kristina: "Did you know that a ducks penis is like a corkscrew?" (she'd also say this completely straight faced-)
Leo: O.O "Why- How do you even know this?"
(Either that or he'd be intrigued and want to know more of her weird ass facts.)
- IMAGINE: she's on a date with Raphael and all of a sudden just blurts out the most random/weird thing- he ends up choking on his food and she's patting his back all innocent- maybe even continuing on with her lil story.
Idk- I have more but imma leave it on that note so this isn't too long hehe.
^^ her friends/family every time Kris opens her mouth to tell them the latest fact she's learned. ^^
🌻 If you get this, answer with 3 random facts about yourself and send it to the last 7 blogs in your notifications, anonymously or not! Let's get to know the person behind the blog 🌻
1. The only bone I've ever broken is a toe.
2. Singing makes my migraines stop hurting.
3. YA mystery fiction is still my favourite book genre.
Throwing tags to @detafo @navybrat817 @drabblewithfrannybarnes @foxgloveprincess @jobean12-blog @slothspaghettiwrites @maladaptivexxdaydreaming
Sorry if any of you have already done this 💚 Also, sorry for tagging, but I find it easier than messaging (I'm old, and quirky)
➖ Princess Daisy’s Halloween dress is a reference to the Jack O’ Goomba enemy from the Super Mario Galaxy games. 🌼