[ID: Tweet thread by @LunaOi_VN, broken up into three images. Tweet 1:
Sometimes I forgot that I was born when Vietnam was still being comprehensively embargoed by the US.
The economic sanction was lifted when I was 15 and my life change drastically since then.
Lemme tell ya, sanction sucks.
In the sanction time:
- No fresh milk except this condensed milk. It was like super fancy at that time.
- No soft drinks like Coke, pepsi...
- Virtually no candies or cookies except when I was sick or it was Tet holiday, my mom would buy me some Hai Chau cookies.
[images of condensed milk and the aforementioned cookies]
[Tweet 3 (beginning of second image):
- No clean water. We had to drink yellow water from our well.
- No stable electricity so of course there was no fridge, no oven, no electric rice cooker...
- No gas/electric stove. I had to cook with straw/wood stove my whole childhood.
[Image of a pot of something being cooked in a fireplace] [image of two people getting water from a well]
- No new clothes. I had to wear old clothes from my older brother.
- When I was 10, I was chosen to study in art class but I could not join because my mom could not afford new art supplies for me.
- Meat was somethign very fancy at that time. I could only eat beef twice a month.
[image of a set of colored pencils]
- Virtually no medicine except for some basic anti-biotics and vitamins.
- Mostly all the vaccines we had were from Cuba. Thanks, Cuba! And yes, Cubans vaccines are running through my veins to this day.
[Tweet 6 (beginning of third image):
After the sanction was lifted:
- I finally could have some fresh milk.
- Instant noodles became affordable.
- Finally new clothes! Hell yeah!
- More medicine, more vaccines.
[images of consumer food products, IDK]
My final thought:
Fuck the US and its sanction!!!
And fuck YOU if you think sanction doesn't affect a whole country's economy and the life of millions of people just because the US says so.
Vietnam was under US sanction for just 25 years, meanwhile Cuba has been under US sanction for 60 fucking years!!!
That is I am so pissed at any fucking bootlickers and CIA-sympathizers who blaimed Cuba for what they has been going through.
[End of thread. End description.]
14K notes · View notes