Loved it!! After volume 4 was (understandably) a bit slower-paced, I didn’t expect things to get intense and serious this quickly, but I’m glad they did! I have so many thoughts I wanted to write down, so here we go:
[There will be spoilers for RWBY up to Volume 5 in this post (duh). Please don’t leave spoilers for anything after Volume 5 on this post, otherwise I will block you.]
- I have to say, I definitely liked Cinder more when she wasn’t talking. During Volume 4, I kind of started feeling bad for her on some level, but then she got better and started being her old condescending, power-hungry self and I was like… nevermind, I hate you again.
- Qrow being super drunk when he first brings Oscar home was absolutely hilarious.
- Yang is SO COOL. Have I mentioned that she’s so cool? Like wow, I wish I was that cool! The bike, the new (amazing) outfit, the way she just punched that creepy guy and walked right up to her mom’s bandit camp making demands of her – she’s so cool and I’m here for it.
- Yang and Weiss’ reunion was so sweet! 😭 I was waiting for literally any of Team RWBY’s members to reunite and that got me right in the feels! (Also, I loved the whole “Wait, your mom kidnapped me?” “Wait, you kidnapped her?” exchange - brilliant 😂.)
- Ruby’s reunion with Yang and Weiss was so sweet, too! 😭 Tears were definitely shed over reunions in this volume! And it was so nice to finally have most of Team RWBY and what’s left of Team JNPR back together and see them bond and catch up with each other 😭. Found family back together! It’s what they deserve!
- Yang being so angry at Blake for leaving makes perfect sense, imo, especially considering her own abandonment issues. And even more so considering that she lost that arm while protecting Blake. Also, I don’t think it’s reading too much into it to say that Yang and Blake’s interactions and their storyline together have had romantic undertones since volume 2. (And no, I’m not just saying that because I ship Bumbleby; it’s the other way around – I ship Bumbleby because those romantic undertones were there in the first place.) So yeah, Yang always tried to help and support Blake, lost an arm protecting her from her abusive ex, and then Blake just left – I get why Yang’s hurt and angry. And that moment where she goes from complaining about how she just wants to be there for Blake, before finally admitting “What if I needed her there for me?” - that’s a really good moment for Yang, even beyond the romantic subtext. It’s nice to see Yang admit that she also wants someone else to be there for her, that she wants to receive that same love and care in return.
- I also want to point out that it’s nice to see how far Weiss has come since volume one. She really took a level in kindness and became a lot more mature, to the point where she’s now giving Yang relationship advice. It’s really nice to see.
- Ruby’s talk with Oscar about Penny and Pyrrha really got me teary eyed.
- I wasn’t that fond of Sun at first, but he had some really great moments in this volume, so he’s starting to grow on me now. I still don’t ship him with Blake, but their friendship is sweet.
- And now, let’s talk about THE standout character of the whole volume for me: ILIA!! Holy hell, I love everything about her! You know how some characters grow on you over time, and then there are those characters that you see one episode with and they just become instant favourites? That second one was Ilia for me. I watched Blake’s character short before Volume 5 and the moment I heard her backstory she jumped right to the top of my favourite character list without question AND I started shipping her and Blake right away. (Yes, I love Bumbleby and all, but I’m a multishipper. I’m perfectly capable of equally loving two ships that contradict each other.)
- It’s just – Ilia and Blake’s dynamic got me hooked! Not to compare everything to my OTP (Catra and Adora from She-Ra and the Princesses of Power), but let me quickly make this comparison: Two girls who grew up together, were both members of a certain evil organization until one of them left it and the other didn’t, now they’re on opposing sides and have to fight each other, but they still clearly care about each other. Plus, there are confirmed romantic feelings from at least one side there. I know many people (including myself) have compared Bumbleby to Catradora before – because you’ve got one blonde jock and one catgirl – but when it comes to the dynamic and the backstory, Blake and Ilia (what’s that ship called? Catmeleon, I think?) resemble Catradora even more. And it’s just the kind of dynamic I’m weak for.
(Honestly, it’s kind of funny how predictable I am both when it comes to favourite characters and favourite ships. My sister, who got me into both She-Ra and RWBY, took one look at Catra years ago and immediately predicted that I would love her. And when she first saw Ilia, she also immediately knew she’d be one of my favourites. Basically, my sister once described my “type” of favourite characters as “troubled, cute and gay” and that pretty much sums it up.)
- Speaking of troubled, cute, and gay: I’m glad RWBY finally has some CANON LGBT representation! Hell yes for that! Honestly, I interpreted Ilia’s feelings for Blake as romantic right away, but I wondered if it was just bait or my usual tendency to see romantic undertones in any interaction between two girls. But then that “I wanted you to look at me that way” line happened and… WOW. Yes. Amazing, talented, brilliant, never been done before, showstopping, incredible. I’m 100% sold on both the ship and Ilia as a character.
(One more thing before I change topics: I try to keep these posts positive and not get into discourse too much (since I’ve heard there was (is?) a lot of discourse in the RWBY fandom – but I took just one look into the tag for Volume 5 and immediately saw people arguing that Ilia’s not good representation because she’s a villain. And I just want to quickly address why that’s nonsense, in my opinion (and before you ask, yes I am a lesbian myself): First of all, she’s not even a full-blown villain. She’s clearly shown as confused and misguided from the beginning. And her feelings for Blake are never portrayed as a negative thing. She also has a redemption literally two episodes after being revealed to be queer. And in general, I don’t think queer villains are necessarily a bad thing and I’m tired of queer characters not being allowed to be flawed. How come straight characters get to just exist, but any queer character better be a shining beacon of morality or else they’re bad representation? I agree that RWBY should introduce more queer characters to balance things out a bit, but I wouldn’t say Ilia was bad representation by herself, since she’s a character I think we’re meant to have sympathy for.
- Now I just hope that future volumes of RWBY don’t pull a Bury Your Gays and kill Ilia off… I’d really hate that. (No spoilers on this post, please!)
- The entire fight at the Belladonnas’ house had me so on edge the whole time. I thought someone (most likely one or both of Blake’s parents) was going to die any second. Basically, the ending of volume 3 burned me and now I constantly expect characters to die. I’m glad it all (mostly) turned out well!
- Blake’s speech to the Faunus might have made me a bit emotional. That was a really great moment for her.
- And then there were those final episodes… WOW. Like I said, I really didn’t expect everything to go down so quickly (or for the ending to be that happy – like I said, volume 3 burned me.)
- Jaune unlocking his semblance was nice! And I’m proud of myself for having correctly predicted that he’d have some sort of healing powers. (I was waiting for him to unlock some healing semblance back when Qrow got injured in Volume 4 – I’m glad it finally happened!)
- I was worried about Weiss for a second, then I realized there’s no way she can die since I’ve already seen pictures of her outfit in later volumes. (Plus, I’m pretty sure if a main character had died, I’d have been unable to completely avoid spoilers about it. So those 4 are pretty much the only ones I’m not that worried about.)
- Raven is a really cool and interesting character, but an awful person. (I got so angry at her when she blasted Ruby after Ruby was just so nice to her*. How dare you, lady?) I love her design, though!
[*EDIT: I just rewatched it and realized that it was Cinder who blasted Ruby, Raven just created the portal. Point still stands, tough.]
- The plot twist of who the Spring Maiden really is was EPIC. Really loved that reveal! (And I honestly didn’t see it coming.) Though I have to say, I feel really bad for Vernal, and for the previous Spring Maiden.
- The Cinder VS Raven fight was absolutely epic and just stunning to watch visually. I was wondering if we’d ever get a maiden vs maiden battle, and that scene more than delivered! And while I don’t particularly like either of them, I was definitely rooting for Raven in that fight.
- I’m not sure if Cinder really died there. If so, I’m honestly not too sad about it, but I would be disappointed because I kind of expected her to become a more interesting character later on. After Volume 4, I expected at least a bit of growth there or something that would make her more interesting. And I’m not talking about a redemption, just to be clear! I just think the potential to make her more interesting as a villain was there, and if they just killed her off it’s kind of wasted now and she stayed a very flat character until the end. But I guess we’ll see.
- Raven and Yang’s confrontation was pretty intense. I liked that Raven finally had to admit that she’s afraid and doing all of this just to protect herself, and the contrast to Yang, who is also scared but still does what she thinks is right. And the fact that Raven was willing to let Yang have the relic despite the danger that would put her in – mom of the year indeed 🙄.
- Blake and the other Faunus are the real MVPs of the battle, tbh. The fact that they just completely stopped Adam and the White Fang by sheer numbers and didn’t even give them the chance to attack anyone? God tier stuff. And when Blake’s mom came in with the police? 10/10, we stan.
- Also, Blake telling Adam she’s not there for him? Hell yes, girl! I love how she’s taking power away from her abuser by showing she isn’t doing any of this for him. Really nice.
- Yang and Blake’s reunion in the last episode was super nice. I like how
there was so much attention on that reunion in particular. And while I’m glad
Yang wasn’t too angry at Blake and it makes for a nice happy ending, I still
hope there’s a scene next volume where Blake properly apologizes to Yang for
leaving and explains her side of things.
And then, they should get together
and live happily ever after and have lots of kittens. I mean, what?
- And finally, all of Team RWBY is back together! And they’ll have a lot to catch each other up on. Blake doesn’t even know about the maidens, the relics and Salem yet, while the rest didn’t even know about the White Fang attack. Also, I want Blake to introduce the others to Ilia and to her parents.
I really loved this volume. Lots of action, lots of really sweet moments, lots of epic fights and cool plot twists. I find it hard to rank them, but this might have been my favourite volume yet (volume 3 was also really good, though).
“It’s important not to lose sight of what drives us: Love, justice, reverence… but the moment you put your desires before my own… they will be lost to you. This isn’t a threat, this is simply the truth. The path to your desires is only found… through me.”
You can’t tell me Weiss doesn’t have a scar from BEING SPEARED LIKE A GODDAMN FISH
This will be the day we’ve waited for
There’s a point where it bends, there’s a point where it breaks.
When, it, falls
Lets just live! Day by day, and not be conquered by our sorrows
We’ll be the ones to touch the sun, triumph be ours!!
Stay close, move fast. The darkness cannot last.
Trust love. And open up your eyes
Sometimes its worth it all to risk the fall and fight for every life
Hey guys it’s AT here! Today I’ll be discussing my thoughts on Raven Branwen, keep in mind these are my personal opinions. Let’s get into it!
We first hear about Raven in the yellow trailer when Yang is demanding if Junior knew where Raven was, then in the Episode Burning The Candel where it’s revealed that Raven left after giving birth to Yang, now we don’t know if it was after Raven gave birth to yang on the same day or it was a few days or weeks.
Now as a person who’s biological mom pretty much threw me into the foster care system I can sorta relate to yang in a way, and then when Yang does meet Raven in volume five well…Let’s just say I was glaring at my screen so much my eyebrows started cramping. Raven is manipulative, a coward, a killer, thief and doesn’t seem to be loyal. Then there’s her beliefs “The strong live and the weak die.” “I’ll only save you once.” On that side I HATE Raven with a passion and I pray Yang doesn’t forgive her instantly or I will be ANGRY.
Now I do find Raven to be pretty cool with other aspects of her, she’s a skilled fighter, she is smart, I do love her sass not gonna lie, I also like her mysteriousness with her past before and after Beacon. I also like her character design, weapon and her voice actress(she did an amazing job)
So where do I stand with worst mom of the year..? Neutral. We have more volumes and chapters to go maybe Raven will try to be a good mom and a better person? How knows.
Seeing your ex be like
You can hear the “bitch”.
A little rosegarden to celebrate RWBY vol 8 become free
Ever since volume 2, Raven presented herself as someone that is shrouded in mystery, whatever we knew about raven was always mirrored by how much yang knew as the story progressed. According to Tai and Qrow, Raven is a complicated woman, she has a funny way of looking at the world that many would disagree on, but despite this she remained a strong, clever, independent woman who is devoted to whatever cause she believed in.
However, over the course of volume 5, many of us have now begun to realize that raven may not be the person she once was. Throughout volume 5, Raven has been shown to be manipulative, untrustworthy, and more than willing to sacrifice anyone around her. But most importantly, it was through ravens confrontation between Yang that we realize juts what kind of person raven is, so, who is she? well….shes a coward.
Despite Ravens best efforts to be the only victor in the fight of volume 5 and make others believe that everything she has done till now was the smart decision, we begin to realize that raven is simply letting herself live in denial rather than accept the fact that it was her fears that prompted her to make bad decision, decisions that she claims are for her and her tribes benefit. Some of those decisions included, siding with Cinder to help Salem obtain the relic in exchange for Qrows death,
stealing the spring maiden powers by killing the previous maiden
and even attempting to steal the relic from the vault.
And for what exactly?, HOPE!, hope that the maiden powers and the relic of knowledge would be more than enough power to help keep her safe from Salem!
ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴀ ᴘᴏɪꜱᴏɴ
ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʏ ʏᴏᴜ ʜɪᴛ, ʏᴏᴜ ɢᴏᴛ ᴍᴇ ꜰʀᴏᴢᴇɴ
Please enjoy this funny i made, its been years since i last used a video editor lol
emerald x mercury my fav evil duo. i hope emerald doesnt join the good guys.
so like… “choice” comes up a lot this volume. feels like theme but i dunno
*wiess bleeding out on the floor*
jaune: ren talk to me
ren: this is bad
Weiss and yang hugging in volume 5 was licherally the peak of my happiness nothing will ever top it
So I watched RWBY like in March, at the begining of quarantine in my country. I had no idea what was it about, I only watched the food fight and the trailers and I knew there was a catgirl somewhere but that was it. Besides that, I knew nothing of the characters. And I was like “animation, good fights, good soundtrack; this seems like something I could get into”. So I binged watched the entire thing in like four days because I got fucking hooked. And I remember my moods with each volume being like:
V1: Mmm, not much of a plot but it’s cool. I love Pyrrha.
V2: Things are getting more real and I’m starting to get emotionally invested in these characters. Kinda ship Bumbleby but don’t think it’ll be canon. Like, sometimes I just want to watch a show about a few teens fighting monsters and having fun in their school, without much drama or suffering.
V3: It’s being the best so far, and animation is getting even better- *Yang gets framed* NOT THIS SHIT *Penny dies* NO NO NO *Adam cuts Yang’s arm off* WHAT THE FUCK NO *Pyrrha dies* STOP- *the narrator was evil the entire time* Seriously what the fuck just happened.
V4: Animation is awesome but I’m still grieving vol 3 nobody talk to me- Aww baby Ren and Nora. Fuck Jacques. Love everyone else. Still grieving.
V5: Definitely not the best volume, but still entertaining to watch and had some good stuff. I feel like Yang and Blake were the characters with the most development through this one though I still have issues with the White Fang… Also Bumbleby canon nobody talk to me.
V6: BEST FUCKING VOLUME AND AS I SAID BUMBLEBY CANON NOBODY TALK TO ME.
V7: “It’ll be just like Beacon” well Penny honey you weren’t lying what the fuck.