The Great Conspiracy of Hylia's Ancient Magic Wielders Who Ascended Into The Sky
1) Humans under the protection of the goddess Hylia advanced their civilization using powerful magic.
2) Because of the invasion of the demon king, the surviving humans were saved by the goddess by being sent skyward above the clouds.
3) Thousands of years later, and following the defeat of the demon king, the mortal incarnation of Hylia and her chosen hero return to the surface to protect the Triforce. Many others follow suit.
4) Humanity begins to progress once more, spreading across the world. Many groups begin to develop in their own way. One such group arises around the descendants of Hylia, calling themselves the “Hylians”.
5) Another group, proficient in magic, use their connection with the winds to lift their civilization into the sky. They maintain contact with their earthbound kin for many years thereafter. These sky folk go by the name “The Tribe of Winds”.
6) Eventually, a rivalry ensues over control of the sacred land of Hylia itself, and the golden prize kept there. Many lives are lost as the fires of war rage on. Among the combatants are some of the sorcerers, who use their powers to subjugate the sacred land.
7) The gods themselves intervene, dispatching the spirits of light to seal away the magic power those individuals had mastered; chase them out of the land of Hyrule; and banish them into the shadow world of infinite Twilight. These poor souls transform under the endless golden half-light into the Twili race.
8) The remaining sky dwellers lose contact with the surface world over the intervening years, essentially disappearing from the historical record. The remnants of their ancient civilization—sophisticated and numerous—become a mystery to the people of Hyrule.
I don't think people who act like Botw has the most feral iteration of Link have played Skyward Sword recently because Skyward Sword Link is WILD. Like Yeah Botw goes bomb fishing and catches small fuzzy animals with his teeth but he's a polite young man who helps those out around him. Skyward Sword Link despite his dopey little face is a MENACE. He will fling your chandelier on the ground in the middle of a crowded restaurant for having 5 USD on it. He WILL give your love letter to the shitter ghost to use, despite the fact that there is a ton of paper in literally the next room over. He WILL take a nice eight hour snooze in the shop you keep flying via peloton bike and make you lug his ass back to a distant island. Like he is completely and utterly fucked in the head and it makes the fact that he's the first one so much funnier