A commission for @cell113 of their cool OC, Deuce -- a paper copy of researcher Ford from the magic copier machine!
I’d long wanted to do something with the Fairy Nail Salon (seen in the Journal and mentioned briefly in The Last Mabelcorn), and thought it would be fun to do with Deuce. Cell113 has put a LOT of thought into this “Paper Ford AU” idea, and it’s really fun. For protective purposes, most of the clothes that you see Deuce wearing here are real clothes (not the copied ones), and they’re meant to protect him from contact with the kind of liquids that would dissolve him -- things like the trench-coat, and the wellington boots. He also typically wears surgical-type gloves (seen on his left hand), but nail polish doesn’t threaten him, so he’s taken the glove off his right hand so the fairies can do their thing. :)
You can read more about Deuce at Cell113′s Paper Ford AU tag. :)
Am largely pleased with how this came out, and it was certainly a lot of fun to work on. Of course, the idea that the Fairy Nail Salon hut is mushroom-themed is my own elaboration on the idea. (If it really was, I’m sure Ford would have sketched it that way in the Journal!) Likewise, while the fairies are slightly based on the one really good look at a (squashed) fairy in DD&MD, I’m way more indebted here for the design ideas to the Disney Tinkerbell and friends series.
Thanks so much to Cell113, for your patience, and letting me work on your guy!
Between May 21st and June 15th, marks the anniversary between Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, one of the most iconic animated shows from Cartoon Network and Disney and my two "Number One" favorite shows of my life! 🌲 💎
With the help of the animation, story arcs, writing, comedy, drama and the characters it makes those two shows were memorable! And thanks to this the crew makes their own shows like Amphibia, The Owl House, OK KO, Craig of the Creek, Inside Job, to inspire GF and SU.
To SU fans: If you didn't watch GF, go watch it. To GF fans: If you didn't watch SU, go watch it. If you didn't watch those two, go watch those right now! HAPPY SU/GF MONTH, EVERYBODY!
MASON DIPPER PINES AND STEVEN QUARTZ UNIVERSE ARE MY FAVORITES-
1. In the living room of the Mystery Shack, Ford hands Mabel a crossbow. Caption: “I haven’t been in this dimension for a while. It’s okay to give children weapons, right?”
2. Ford smiles and pats his face, which is smoking. Offscreen, Dipper says, “But your face is on fire.” Ford replies, “Yes! It’s much faster than shaving.”
3. Ford and Stan stand in front of the TV in the living room, arguing. The room is covered in Ford and Dipper’s notes for Dungeons, Dungeons & More Dungeons. Caption: “Don’t mock our fantastical monetary system!”
4. Young Ford sits in his college dorm at night, studying. He’s surrounded by stacks of books and is writing something down. He nods off for a second, then jerks back awake and goes back to writing.
5. Ford holds up a cycloptopus, an octopus-like creature with one large eye. It’s blackened and smoking. Ford smiles proudly.
6. Ford stands on the porch of the Mystery Shack, wearing the black and grey clothes he was wearing when he emerged from the portal. He’s holding a stack of papers. Caption: “I’ll need all of your floppy disks and, uh... 8-tracks. Right?”
7. Ford sits at a table next to Mabel, clutching a black bag in his arms and frowning. Caption: “I can assure you, if there’s an owl in this bag, he’s long dead.”
8. Young Ford, right after arriving in Gravity Falls for the first time, is startled by something offscreen, causing his glasses to slide down his nose. He pushes them back up and grins excitedly.
9. In the Fearamid, Ford has just painted the zodiac on the floor and is standing in the middle. In the foreground, Pacifica says, “The world’s most confusing game of hopskotch?” Ford turns back to look at her and says, “No, a prophecy! Although it would be a pretty fun game of hopskotch.”
10. Ford stands by the entrance to the basement of the Mystery Shack, talking to Dipper with a serious expression on his face. He says, “On the dark, weird road I travel, I’m afraid you cannot follow.” Dipper stares at him in stunned silence. With a cheerful smile, Ford adds, “Well, call me for dinner!”
Good god, I have been working on this for a while. What originally started out as small storyboard pro practice, ended up becoming an actual project. There was a good amount of time when I wasn’t sure I would finish it, but here it is. I hope you enjoy it!
[ID: A flat-color digital drawing of Mabel and Dipper from Gravity Falls. They’re older than in the show, around their late teens, and they’re wearing costumes: Mabel is dressed as Stan, with a sign hanging from her neck that reads “NO REFUNDS,” and Dipper is dressed as Ford. Mabel is holding up a phone and taking a picture of the two of them as they smile widely and pose for the camera. Mabel’s phone case is hot pink with the Sev’ral Timez logo on it, and her nails are painted yellow with one black capital letter on each finger, spelling out WHAT. Above her and Dipper is a text message log.
Mabel: check out our costumesssss (sparkle emoji)
Stan: Kids these days (angry face emoji) No respect 4 their elders!!!
Ford: Excellent craftsmanship! (thumbs-up emoji with six fingers)
Stan: Yeah yeah you look great or whatever
Mabel: (multiple sparkly heart emojis)