some of my linguistic headcanons for the avatar universe
- assuming each nation has its own language, or at least its own dialect, Aang would have sounded super old to Katara and Sokka - languages change a lot in 100 years! Which, we see a little bit of with "flamo hotman!"
- Katara and Sokka understand Zuko out of necessity, as the SWT picked up the Fire dialect after 100 years of war and raids
- Toph would know all the formal dialects, being tutored in each of them thanks to her wealth but would have no idea what all the slang terms Katara and Sokka are throwing at each mean
- consequently, this means she would understand Aang best, since she learned the Air dialect as if it were a dead language, like we study Latin
- a United dialect would have developed by Korra's time, but Katara still teaches all of her children and grandchildren Southern Water, and Aang teaches them all Old Air, small acts of resistance for the two of them, bringing their cultures back from extinction
feel free to add on with your own!
2K notes · View notes
I recently read about wedding customs of the Ainu people, which inspired me to draw Sokka proposing to Suki!
The concept seemed fitting since Kyoshi Island is the Avatar world's visual equivalent of Japan.
(Sokka and Suki are in their mid 20s)
8K notes · View notes