#this got so long i'm sorry ;-;
Okay so, I don't have a lot of ideas right now so I'm going to talk about the Ace Attorney no spoiler rule that was adopted shortly after Ace Attorney 4. Mostly because I feel like that rule is actually the thing that single-handedly obliterates any and all character progression all of the time.
Also, the fact that the no spoiler rule exists is probably why later games feel kind of disjointed from one another. This is due to the fact that the games can't mention what happened in previous games at all. Not even counting the fact that them only making vague references to characters and usually never mentioning them by name is sort of mildly infuriating.
The previous game seemingly having no effect on the other games given the fact newer games can't spoil the old ones makes everything that happened in the previous games feel like they ultimately had less narrative weight. Also, in Ace Attorney 1 through 4, even if the writing wasn't always the most stellar at times the stuff that happened did have some kind of narrative weight to it. Including when we get to Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (commonly known as AA4) it was very clear that everything that happened in the previous games still had weight and actually affected what happened in Apollo Justice Ace Attorney.
The whole concept of things in the previous games having consequences of some kind seems to sort of fallen by the wayside. In addition, you can really see how the no spoiler rule affects things like Phoenix Wright's character development. Especially when you consider that Phoenix definitely underwent some character changes as a result of being disbarred. Regardless of these obvious changes in his character, he does not get to keep them for very long. He drops all of his character progression by the time Ace Attorney Dual Destinies rolls around. I'm not going to say that Dual Destinies is a good game, I don't think it is. A lot of the newer characters did end up having to carry that game on their back.
Nevertheless, this was seemingly the time the no spoiler rule was put in place. You can kind of use Phoenix Wright's character progression as a ruler for pre and post-no spoiler rule. I also feel like I should take care to at least mention that I'm not talking about DGS (or The Great Ace Attorney as the former has been localized) as I consider those to be a little bit separate from what I'm talking about and I'm a bit less familiar with them so I'm not really going to mention them here.
Anyway, in the case of the mainline Ace Attorney series, the no spoiler rule has kind of evaporated anyone's chances for meaningful character progression.
Also, I'm taking a bit of care to not say character development when I mean character progression because as I know it, character development is actually making the character and giving them a fleshed-out background. You could make an actual point about how Phoenix Wright doesn't have the best character development in comparison to other characters like Miles Edgeworth. However, you could say that Phoenix did have some sort of promise and character progression. Personally, I would like to think that it's not that Phoenix didn't have character progression of any kind, I just assumed that his character progression was going to gradually happen. I could be making a wrong assumption of that but, with everything that ended up happening in Ace Attorney Apollo Justice, I feel like I'm kind of fair to make that guess.
Returning to the original point of character progression being halted, imagine what Edgeworth's character Arc would have been like if the no spoiler rule had been adopted in the trilogy. He would not be nearly as interesting or even remotely as well-loved by players as he is currently.
I'm not saying that the 3D games are completely incapable of making characters that are likable. Plenty of people like Simon Blackquill and Athena Cykes. However, I feel like those characters are not nearly as well-liked as previous characters were. Please bear in mind that this is only what I've seen while spending a lot of time on Ace Attorney Twitter and Tumblr, but it does seem like even characters like Simon or Athena weren't enough to make the game bearable. A lot of people actually took a long time to complete Dual Destinies, one of them saying that it took them six months to complete it because of how boring it was.
While it's true that the character narratives don't necessarily have to play a part in whether or not the Ace Attorney games themselves are fun to play, but given the fact that Ace Attorney is a visual novel and visual novels are 99% story with very few gameplay elements, narrative and also character progression probably plays a big part as to a lot of people play the games.
Also for a lot of long-time players or enjoyers the series, the writing quality does seem to have gone down a bit at least in comparison to a lot of the older games. Of course this is just a very common personal opinion amongst a lot of the fan base but this is the type of opinion I see most often. Ace Attorney does have a few other problems obviously in terms of writing other than the no spoiler rule as most of the fandom has already touched upon them, myself included. Nevertheless, I feel like it might at least be good to talk about the fact that the no spoiler rule did actually kind of axe a lot of character progression that a lot of fans really want and like.
The no spoiler rule also impacts just the quality of the writing in the games in terms of pure and narrative and how the cases are set up. Which is kind of annoying but I don't feel like I really need to explain why that would be the case. Also I didn't feel the need to write about it extensively here because that doesn't seem to be the main gripe within the fandom.
In conclusion, the no spoiler rule kind of is to blame for all of your faves not getting the character development you really wish they had. It also impact the quality of the cases. While it is true that Ace Attorney has other writing problems that definitely predate the no spoiler rule, ultimately if the later games feel sort of incoherent or disjointed to you, this is probably the reason as to why.
27 notes · View notes
BEYOND obsessed with this house in fort worth, texas i mean
okay pretty normal, let’s look at the interior photos—
WHAT THE FUCK
here we see the first example of a pattern that will recur throughout the house, which is that once your eyes adjust to the bonkers dictator chic marble-and-gilded-everything, you notice some pretty egregiously shoddy workmanship. look at how that baseboard intersects with the outlet. look at how the marble... uh, thing on the wall (i was gonna call it a fireplace but it’s not a fireplace, i have no idea what that is) has gaps and weird angles wherever two pieces meet. it’s like they’re trying to recreate versailles on an ikea budget
i... don’t hate the kitchen. i mean, obviously it’s ugly and #toomuch and there was zero effort made to match the very modern appliances and sink to the cabinets, but still, i’m a sucker for a pass-through and a big sink with a window above it.
this ceiling Fucks but the wrinkly, uneven curtains and terrible caulking around the faux-column in the middle anti-Fuck
why did we suddenly completely switch aesthetics. why is there an old TV set into the wall at floor level. why is there a tiny set of doors next to it. why does the fireplace look like an asset ripped from the original dark souls. i feel a sinister presence sucking at my soul the longer i look at this photo
i feel like whoever designed this monstrosity started with the dining room and then once they’d finished it realized they’d blown half their budget on just this one room. it’s so overdecorated that the gaudiness feels intentional, like it’s a statement rather than a side effect of genuine tastelessness. i can applaud that.
here we have the antithesis of the dining room. i don’t know what this room is supposed to be but i hate it. i’m pretty sure everything in this photo literally came from ikea. there is a lack of commitment here and it is rancid
ladies, gentlemen, distinguished colleagues, we have now hit the cornerstone of any great tacky real estate listing: the heart-shaped bathtub! this one gets bonus points for being next to a gilded mirror and surrounded by bright red damask wallpaper. as a bathtub i’d give it a 1/10 because those angles look incredibly uncomfortable, but as a place to shoot my lover through the heart while wearing a gauzy fur-trimmed bathrobe before fleeing with our ill-gotten fortune i’d give it a solid 11/10
here we are with the lack of commitment again. this literally looks like the kitchen in my college dorm but with a weird fringey lamp and some curtains that are absolutely too long for their windows
again, the mix of styles here is just killing me. half damask wallpaper and carved wall panels, half normal-ass bathroom? really? isn’t there anything truly unhinged left in this house? anything truly opulent, decadent, off the chain, extravagant, gaudy—
THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT BAY BEE!!! THAT’S MORE THE FUCK LIKE IT!!! COMMIT! TO! THE! BIT! GO BIG OR GO HOME! IF YOU’RE GONNA STICK A CEILING DOME IN THE FOYER OF YOUR SUBURBAN TEXAS HOUSE IT HAD BETTER BE TWELVE FEET IN DIAMETER AND PAINTED WITH DOZENS OF FLOWERS OR ELSE WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE EVEN DOING HERE??
and finally, to close out the show, a reminder that this entire acid trip of a real estate listing took place in an ordinary, modern single-story house in texas, one with a backyard and utility boxes on the exterior walls and neighbors who may be blissfully unaware that they live mere feet from a yawning pit of madness.
i love tacky real estate listings.
70K notes · View notes
Some thoughts from Matt’s DM notes:
1. I was already scared of Trent, but I’m somehow even more terrified now.
His skin is somewhat jaundiced with visible liverspots. His thin lips hold a perpetual grin that reads both scheming and amused. He wears a dark grey cloak hiding robes of white and gold... the flying mage from the Gala assault. (Master Trent Ikithon) [...] The cloaked mage looks to the party and nods with a wide, somewhat wicked smile, inspecting each of you like a shopping chef might inspect produce in a stall.
What the fuck, Matt.
2. I think the above passage confirms that Caleb’s necklace prevents recognition from Trent even when Caleb’s right in front of him. That, or that Trent recognizes Caleb, but doesn’t care. Or maybe Matt just eliminated the notes that describe the possibility of Trent recognizing Caleb. I think the latter is less likely, though, because I doubt Matt would create a scenario where Trent would confront Caleb so early on.
3. Oremid Hass is a very interesting character. I don’t trust him at all given that he works for the Empire, but Pumat does describe of him as a “softie” and he was very nice to Frumpkin. And now there’s this:
“I see you bring goblinkin amongst the peoples of Zadash. You call these peoples your companions, little green one? This warms me. While sometimes informed by our nature, I strongly believe we are largely a product of our bonds and our environment. I’ve seen beastmen as far as Tal’Dorei live among the townships in peace. In time, even giants and snakemen might aid one another openly. Besides... the further we can civilize the more volatile races, the less power the Xhorhasian hoards have.”
So he’s a bit of a... “benevolent” racist? This fits well with the picture of him that we already have. Someone who truly believes they’re working for the “greater good” and doing what’s right, and who’s significantly nicer than Trent... but still dangerous, still racist, still colonial in attitude.
4. Count me as genuinely surprised that the letter would actually have allowed Fjord to get into the Soltryce Academy. I thought for sure they’d laugh him out, particularly because he’s a half-orc. I’m pretty terrified at the thought that that could have happened.
5. I’m very glad to know more about the Tombtakers. Also glad to hear more about the Myriad, who are apparently active in Rexxentrum (one of Lucien’s former companions is now a “torturer for the Myriad in Rexxentrum.”
6. “If the Gentleman ever feels he is being lied to, it sends him into a furious rage” and they have to fucking fight him. Now I’m thinking back to all the times they’ve lied to the Gentleman and shivering.
7. The Gentleman has a contact out in Felderwin: “Draconian survivor with an anger problem. Likes slaves who can work hard but also can take a beating.”
I wonder if he’s still there and there’s a possibility of the M9 running into him. I don’t think they’d like him very much. Also! I think this is the first we’ve heard of “Draconian survivors”? I want to know more about Draconia, Matt! Did they make any sort of peace with the Ravenites? Did they manage to get the floaty things back up? TELL US.
8. The plot would have been SO different if they’d escaped with Cree and she’d taken them to Shadycreek Run. I don’t think Molly would have been down for it, but if he had — instant Molly backstory arc (which would have been the second time that Taliesin’s character arc came first!)
9. Holy shit, Matt really does come up with names for all the minor NPCs in advance.
10. Interesting insight into where Matt stops prepping — he doesn’t include any notes for the post-Victory Pit party, so he must have planned to stop after the fight. I always wonder how he figures out where to stop, not knowing what the players are going to do.
1K notes · View notes
The first time this guy showed up I thought to myself
I HAVE TO DRAW HIMM!
6K notes · View notes
A little WCI ZoSan comic set at the end of the Wano arc after the inevitable post-Kaido-defeat banquet. I was thinking, in the context of them having an established relationship before Sanji left for WCI, about how Zoro would react to his return. Most scenarios I saw/thought of had Zoro get real angry, which is probably the most realistic, but I thought, what if he didn’t? How would it go?
And of course, the idea got stuck in my head and evolved from sketches into a full comic. Go figure.
4K notes · View notes
Villanelle + Blood
3K notes · View notes
CRITICAL ROLE | 2.49 | A GAME OF NAMES
I have been using you all.
3K notes · View notes
Karolina + gay text post
2K notes · View notes
Do you have any more voltron fics recommendation? :) Mostly about klance, shance, sheith, or shklance? (Sorry i'm such a trash for them)
Me? Have fic recs???
Actually, it’s been so long since I did a rec list that this ask felt kind of intimidating. This fandom is full of such amazing writers, we’re very lucky! I’m afraid I don’t sheith or shance and am super picky about the shklance I read, so these are all klance fics. I hope you enjoy anyhow!A lot of these are still WIPs as well because I have no self control when it comes to resisting fics.
Please always read the tags and warnings carefully!
Paper Skin - A love story about vampires, werewolves, & other strange creatures, living in New York City, and cooking with your heart. Or someone else’s. [featuring the cutest werewolf!Lance and vamp!Keith]
The Dreaming Dark - The Derceto mission was going to be Lance’s big break, the Dive that would make him famous. All they had to do was go down, collect a few samples, then make it back in one piece. Oh, and investigate the mysterious circumstances surrounding the Kerberos mission disaster that claimed the lives of the previous crew after their base went dark. No big deal, right? [AKA: tmw you accidentally flirt with a fish and it flirts back]
At the End of the Road with You - Incident One started the zombie outbreak two years ago. Now most only survive thanks to organized groups like The Garrison. Lance, Pidge, and Hunk are members of the Echo Scouting and Scavenging Team. They find themselves out on the far outer regions when they come across a survivor from another team that they were lead to believe were killed…
The Shattering of Altea - Altea is a world of dragons, magic, and, until recently, war. It’s also entirely fictional. When Lance put on his VR headset, he fully expected everything he experienced from that point on to be false. But his feelings for the kill-stealing jerk in red armor couldn’t be more real.
Las Palabras de Amor - Keith, the self-declared desert nomad, finds himself back in the small town he grew up in to settle his late father’s affairs and fill in for his old boss at the radio station while the overnight DJ is on maternity leave. Everything in Arus is exactly the same as he left it, except for one very handsome Latino who has spent the past few years weaving himself into the lives of all of Keith’s closest friends…
Blue Pencils - Set during, and after Season 4 of Voltron. This is how Keith and Lance figure out how to maintain a long-distance relationship when Keith leaves. Also there’s a couple of snarky Marmora named Holson and Jaussey.
Hearts Don’t Break Around Here - Lance and Keith have been best friends since first grade. Lance’s brain is always on overdrive and Keith’s blunt, realistic ass can never keep up. They both come to realize that sometimes you can learn a lot about loving yourself by loving someone else.
Follow My Lead - A Friends w/ Benefits AU where Lance wears sleeveless hoodies, plays basketball in abandoned parking lots, and follows his dreams, and Keith comes from a high class, reputable family who never let him have any dreams of his own. They go home with each other and don’t expect it to matter until it totally does.
All the Way Down - “You make it sound like we’re going into battle,” Hunk laughed worriedly on Lance’s other side. “I thought this was like, some kind of carnival.” AKA Lance and Keith spend the day together at the universe’s biggest carnival, challenging each other to ride the biggest and fastest rides, and it’s more like a date than either of them banked on.
Can’t Fight This Feeling - Welcome to Pizza Planet, open til four A.M. Home to shitty food, an exclusively 80s jukebox, and minimum wage employees getting through life on tips and one another. When Keith gets a job as the new delivery boy, he wonders if it might become more than just a means to an end. Meanwhile, Lance just wants to know what the hell the new guy’s damage is.
flicker - Far away from his friends at the castle, Keith’s only way of communicating with them is a battered old phone. This is maybe going to be harder than he thought. A long-distance, friends-to-lovers fic, set during season four.
Lord Grant Me a Kryptonite Binky - In which a half-Galra baby is found and Keith and Lance are, almost ironically, the two people most suited to deal with it.
Call of the Universe - Homesick Lance thinks of all he misses from Earth and seeks solace in the noisy company of his team. But nothing brings him comfort in the quiet loneliness of his bed in the middle of the night. Keith eases his worries with a simple gesture that grows into something more.
Ascent - Assigned to Prince Lotor’s command, hybrid-galra Keith will let nothing get in the way of his mission. Nothing, that is, until a figure behind a wall of glass catches his attention and won’t let it go. Lotor’s prisoner changes everything, and for the first time in his life Keith’s priorities aren’t so clear.
and, we dream of home - “Then come see me,” Lance murmurs, and it makes Keith’s heart pound behind his breastbone. “Us, I mean. Once a week or something?” His life is a hell of a lot easier when he lets himself cave under all the ways he wants Lance’s luminous attention, and company, and friendship. All the ways he wants Lance, full stop.
2K notes · View notes
As your hand drifts from mine,
two hearts still intertwined,
across both space and time,
remember, I am yours
2K notes · View notes
Black Hat is teaching them gentleman’s good manners.
2K notes · View notes
First of all your blog reeks of positivity and happiness and I am living for it. secondly if it's not too much to ask, may I request something (literally anything) with Sayu and Light? I have a craving for Yagami siblings being wholesome.
This one’s from personal experience.
And "reeks of positivity and happiness” is one of the BEST descriptions of my stuff that I’ve ever read, thank you!!
2K notes · View notes
All he needs is an ear to listen.
2K notes · View notes
In order to settle this debate, I will attempt to break down all of the fight scenes that Joe participates in and analyse his role in all of them. If anyone wants to imply that Joe is the violent, feral one of the entire group please think about how each one of Joe’s kills is done in response to something, either because they hurt his family first or to protect his family before they can be hurt. Throughout the entire movie, Joe does not initiate any kills.
1. In the first fight scene, the kill floor, Joe doesn’t charge at the enemies on front of him like everyone else does. He runs towards Nicky, to fight at his side. Nicky shoots first, Joe finishes the kill. While Joe does this, Nicky already pulls out his sword to finish off another merc.
2. They kill the guards in the van together, but Joe was being completely civil up until they peeled him away from Nicky. “I need to know he’s okay” is said in such a pleading way like he is still trying to negotiate with his kidnappers. He is hoping that they will let him check on Nicky, because his first thought isn’t to kill or to be cruel. He is trying to avoid any unnecessary casualties. Here, he has no intention of starting a fight until they insult him, Nicky, and pull them away from each other.
3. In Merrick’s lab, Joe is always right behind Nicky. Nicky disarms, stuns, and Joe finishes them off to protect the others in front of him. He has everyone’s back, he is preventing his family from being killed. You will never notice Joe in front of them, leading the charge or even as much as shooting first. His place is always behind Nicky, who is in charge of delivering the first blow. (As a side note, he doesn’t even secure ammo and guns for himself, it’s Nicky who always hands them to him).
4. In the fight against Keane, Nicky is the one to fight back first. Nicky is the one to pin Keane down and throw punches. Joe is just trying to get Keane’s attention on him, to protect Nicky. I don’t think there is anything else I have left to say about the scene when Joe kills Keane. I have already said that anyone could have killed Keane. The purpose was to clear the room of all the guards, Keane included. However, not only was Joe the closest, but just earlier he had to witness the love of his life be killed in front of him by this man. Of course it is personal, and of course it should be Joe who ends Keane’s life. In no way does that make him the violent one, especially since his line is delivered so softly and concisely. He is not yelling, he is not seeing red. He is calm and composed, and his role is that of the protector. His kill is an act of retribution - as he says so himself - not unjustified violence.
5. When he jumps in through the window, he does shoot at the room, but he almost instantly finds cover behind the desk. That’s because the purpose of this manoeuvre wasn’t to clear the room for the team. He served as a distraction for the guards in the room and Keane, so that Andy and Nile can come in and attack from both flanks (having the element of surprise could have easily helped him clear the room in this instance).
2K notes · View notes
When something impossible happens, there are only two possibilities. Either your assumptions are wrong, or you have gone crazy.
Kōgami Shinya / 狡噛 慎也 requested by Gabi @runwiththewind
1K notes · View notes
if you're up to it, could you draw alyanette please?? i love them as much as i love your art
info post on sketch requests :)
1K notes · View notes