Some people set records by jumping the highest or running the fastest.
But for Jessica Nabongo, a UN employee turned travel blogger, becoming the first black woman to visit every country on Earth isn't just about getting her name in a record book -- it's about paving the way for women and people of color to do the same.
Nabongo's experiences traveling the world undercut many of the exhortations travel brands have to "live like a local," being able to seamlessly blend in anywhere simply by changing clothes or ordering coffee a certain way. Often, as the only person of color in a crowd, she stood out whether she wanted to or not. Nabongo also has dark skin and shaves her head.
To date, there are about 150 known people who have been to every country, the majority of whom are white men traveling on European passports -- the ones who have the option to "blend in" in more places.
As of April 2018, there were 193 recognized countries in the United Nations, plus two with "non-observer status."
Since she began her project in earnest in 2016, Nabongo has been to 109 of them. Her goal is to reach 172 by the end of 2018, and the remaining countries by summer 2019.
8K notes · View notes
South Park Completely Banned From Chinese Internet After ‘Band in China’ Episode, Trey & Matt Issue “Apology”
South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone probably saw this coming, and to their credit, simply didn't care.
The most recent episode of South Park, "Band in China," has been generating loads of media attention for its sharp critique of the way Hollywood tends to shape its content to avoid offending Chinese government censors in any way whatsoever.
Now, those very same government censors, in the real world, have lashed back at South Park by deleting virtually every clip, episode and online discussion of the show from Chinese streaming services, social media and even fan pages.
A cursory perusal through China's highly regulated Internet landscape shows the show conspicuously absent everywhere it recently had a presence. A search of the Twitter-like social media service Weibo turns up not a single mention of South Park among the billions of past posts. On streaming service Youku, owned by Internet giant Alibaba, all links to clips, episodes and even full seasons of the show are now dead.
And on Baidu's Tieba, China's largest online discussions platform, the threads and sub-threads related to South Park are nonfunctional. If users manually type in the URL for what was formerly the South Park thread, a message appears saying that, "According to the relevant law and regulation, this section is temporarily not open."
[... ] On Monday afternoon, creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone issued a statement with a faux apology about the ban.
"Like the NBA, we welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and into our hearts," the statement reads. "We too love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn't look like Winnie the Poo at all. Tune into our 300th episode the Wednesday at 10 p.m. Long live the great Communist Party of China. May the autumn's sorghum harvest be bountiful. We good now China?"
413 notes · View notes
Fourth Yuri Manga Sousenkyo: Fans Vote for the Best Yuri Manga
Yuri Navi, the Japanese site dedicated to Yuri news and commentary, announced the results from its fourth annual Yuri Manga Sousenkyo. The Yuri Manga Sousenkyo is a popularity poll held every year on Yuri Navi where Japanese Yuri fans could vote for up to three of their favorite Yuri series (as opposed to the five from previous years). Voting began on August 15 and ended on the 23. Because of the difference in Yuri works published and promoted overseas, only those living in Japan were eligible to vote. In total, over 3700 votes were cast.
The top thirty results from the fourth Yuri Manga Sousenkyo are below. Titles that have been published in English or that are set to be adapted into English are noted with the Publisher. Click on licensed titles to be navigated to an English storefront. Legally buying manga helps support publishers and creators.
30. Our Wonderful Days - By Kei Hamuro - 55 votes - Licensed Seven Seas
29. Warikitta Kankei Desukara - By FLOWERCHILD - 56 votes
28. Hello Melancholic! - By Oosawa Yayoi - 59 votes
27. Failed Princesses - By Ajiichi - 71 - Licensed by Seven Seas
26. If I Could Reach You - By tMnR - 84 votes - Licensed by Kodansha Comics
25. Teijin ni Agaretara - By Inui Ayu - 85 votes
24. Still Sick - By Akashi - 86 votes - Licensed by Tokyopop
23. Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl - By Canno - 96 votes - Licensed by Yen Press
22. Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon - By Usui Shio - 97 votes - Licensed by Seven Seas
21. Kase-san - By Hiromi Takashima - 98 votes - Licensed by Seven Seas (This is Kase-san’s first time outside of the top 10)
20. Kitanai Kimi ga Ichiban Kawaii - By Manio - 105 votes
19. Vampeerz - By AKILI - 114 votes - Licensed by Denpa
18. Yuri de Naru - By Naoimai - 130 votes
17. Otome no Teikoku - By Kishi Torajirou - 142 votes
16. School Zone - By Ningiyau - 144 votes - Licensed by Seven Seas
15. Futaribeya: A Room for Two - By Yukiko - votes 145 - Licensed by Tokyopop (Futaribeya was also 15th last year)
14. Koushin Koinuni Koibumiwo - By Tamasaki Tama - 148 votes
13. Lonely Girl ni Sakaraenai - By Kashikaze - 152 votes
12. Adachi and Shimamura - By Hitoma Iruma, Illustrated by Yuzuhara Moke - 162 votes - Licensed by Yen Press
11. How Do We Relationship? - By Tamifull - 168 votes - Licensed by Viz Media
10. Ichido Dake Demo, Koukai Shitemasu - By Miyahara Miyako - 171 votes
9. Fusoroi no Renri - By Mikanuji - 187 votes
8. A Tropical Fish Years for Snow - By Makoto Hagino - 199 votes - Licensed by Viz Media (A Tropical Fish Years for Snow was third place the past two years)
7. Hana ni Arashi - By Kobachi Ruka - 204 votes (Hana ni Arashi was sixth place the past two years)
6. Kimi ga Shinu made Koi wo Shitai - By Aono Nachi - 217 votes
5. Ame Demo Hare Demo - By Arata Iri - 233 votes (Previously known as Todo no Tsumari no Uchouten)
4. Yuri Is My Job! - By Miman - 250 votes - Licensed by Kodansha Comics (This is Yuri Is My Job’s third year in the top ten)
3. Citrus - By Saburouta - 315 votes - Licensed by Seven Seas (This is Citrus’ fourth year in the top 5)
2. Whisper Me a Love Song - By Eku Takeshima - 453 votes - Licensed by Kodansha Comics
1. Bloom Into You - By Nakatani Nio - 981 votes - Licensed by Seven Seas (This is Bloom Into You’s fourth year in a row in first place)
943 notes · View notes