i feel like people are still entrenched in the idea that something has to be "problematic" in order for you to dislike or oppose it, which leads to ppl cancelling harry potter for things that are both completely standard for the fantasy genre and also mostly incidental to hp's narrative. yes the goblins are antisemitic cariactures; yes the house elf plotline is slavery apologia; yes there is gender essentialism in jkr's worldbuilding; and so on and so forth. but these things do not constitute the core of hp's narrative—the plot of harry potter is not about the goblins, for instance, and the goblins could easily be replaced with wizards and the issue is more or less solved. and this bigotry is incredibly common in fantasy. plenty of fantasy staples are based in antisemitism and antiblackness. that's not at all an excuse, but it does mean that hp is not exceptionally bad in a way that you could specifically point to hp and deem it more evil than most other popular fantasy media.
if you want a serious reason to dislike harry potter that has a solid foundation, it's probably harry potter as a cultural phenomenon from which jkr derives her power (and then uses against trans women + to promote all her other shitty politics). hp would be any other reactionary fantasy book series if not for its immense popularity and cultural ubiquity.
and, if not for the genuine issues w hp's politics, you could still criticise it for being overrated (which it most certainly unarguably is) because, issues aside, it's incredibly mediocre in construction. hp was not innovative in children's literature, fantasy literature, etc; it's easy to consume which is why it got popular, but it's not actually well-made. basically the whole reason why ppl say "read another book".
but even then, you don't need a super serious reason to dislike a book series. harry potter fans are annoying. that's not a serious reason to dislike hp but it is a valid one. you are allowed to dislike media for those kinds of reasons. like straight up if you have your hogwarts house in your bio or if you wear hp merch you're probably an incredibly annoying person, all the serious issues w hp aside. and i think more than anything else that's the most accurate reason for why people like to make fun of hp fans. you don't need a serious justification for laughing at ppl who put hp ships in their bio. sometimes disliking fans of shitty popular media is fun in and of itself.
Mysterylover watches Bleach Episode 346 "Everyone Wants Ichigo Now Apparently"
1. So to recap, Folks are getting attacked and Ichi is frustrated that there's nothing he can do. So he calls a weird number.
2. This arc sure is different. Like we've flipped over into a completely different genre. From Shonen to Spy Thriller.
3. Over at school Hime brings us the news that something's up with Chad in the most...Orihime way possible. And she also has developed the "jumping out the window" shonen ability.
4. Ichi blows her off when she attempts to invite him to visit Chad with her. What's up with you Ichi-grumpy pants?
5. I'll admit I don't really like Orihime's redesign. She's mostly just drawn a little older and with bigger boobs, but the redesign makes her look too One-Piece girl for my comfort. Though she totally rocked that jumper last episode. This design needs baggy clothes.
6. Anyway since Hime actually cares about the plot she's checking in on Chad to try and investigate what's up and remembering the threats Uryu-dad made.
7. Ichi meets up with Mysterious New Human Villain at night so they can have a Serious Plot Talk in really moody green lighting.
8. Ichi gets taken to their secret lair (Am I safe in assuming these guys are villains? They're drawn to look like villains but so far they seem to be helping Ichi out. I dunno, just a vibe
9. OOH, they're gonna get him his Soul Reaper powers back! OMG!! Didn't see THAT Coming!
10. Anyway Pigtail Maid Villain is here and throwing a temper tantrum at her minion, who she proceeds to punch in the chest and hurt her hand. How random.
11. Aaand back to Ichigo and the bombshell he just heard. He responds by threatening the guy who might be able to help him.
12. The guy takes Ichi drinking, which makes me wonder what the drinking age is in Japan. Anyway Ichi is apparently being introduced to the Origins of Quirks. (human based superpowers)
13. This guy can apparently turn booze green and make it dance. Huh. Must make him a hit at raves. Anyway more specifically he controls stuff the "soul" of an object.
14. So telekinesis basically. And apparently booze has a soul. That's....creepy. So are there like soul reapers for booze? Rukia's Booze Reaper buddies?
15. And apparently these guys can walk on water with this power. It sounds kinda like these guys all have similar powers to Orihime, but less cool than hers.
16. FULLBRING, so that's why this is called the Fullbringer arc! I was curious. Anyway Maid Girl is finally here.
17. We get her name but I'm still calling her Pigtail Maid. Oh and Chad's with her! And he looks creepy but hey maybe that makes this a little more legit.
18. Or even less so. Is Ichi freaking out about this cause Orihime was worried? I wonder, it seems like an unusually extreme reaction for hime and that's the only explanation the episode has given.
19. Pigtail Maid apparently finds Ichigo really really hot. Ichi must be working something this arc, that's two girls in one episode swooning over him. Didn't used to do that...did he do something with his hair or something?
20. I mean last arc he was running around buff and shirtless half the time and no girls were swooning then. And he looks not really different this arc. Anyway they're expositing about why Hollows have holes in their hearts, which is kinda poetic.
21. Anyway we get a long exposition speech that amounts to "another dude has hollow + soul reaper powers and you can swap". I think. It's long.
22. Anyway Ichigo cares more about what's up with his friends than getting his powers back. YAS THAT'S OUR PROTAGONIST. You go be a hero now.