how do i write when i have adhd and cant even outline the first three chapters:( i always get stuck after three, get bored, and never come back. any advice ?
Writing with ADHD (by a writer w/ adhd)
1. Consume caffeine and/or do cardio for 30min before sitting down to write. Listen to music, a themed playlist perhaps. Do not log onto the internet or have any distractions nearby (books, pets, clutter, food, unfinished projects). Keeping a dohickey like a stress ball around or even a lightweight dumbbell is a decent proxy when your brain craves distraction. Chewing gum can also help you focus.
2. Don’t outline by chapter, I cannot get farther than five or six when I do that. Outline from beginning to end, but make sure to have a middle! Write a synopsis of what happens and break it into chronological chunks. Only outline by chapter once you’ve got a general outline of the whole story, and even then only outline a couple chapters at a time.
3. Write whatever comes to you, but keep it in order in your document. You want to write how your character discovers a secret, but you know that’s not until chapter 20. Write it anyway and title it chapter 20. Do this with every scene you’re inspired to write, then slowly fill in the gaps. If that proves difficult, it’s okay to make the reveal chapter 9 instead and connect everything with [and then this happened] so you’ll know to sew it up later.
4. However short or long the story ends up being, finish it. You can set a goal of 30 chapters, but if 10 is easier finish by chapter ten. Come back (much) later, reread, and add any new ideas you come up with. A short story is sweet! A novella is nice! Train your brain to write longer passages until it can achieve a story of the length you want.
5. (optional) Outlining is for people who can focus, just start writing somewhere and figure it out along the way. I had a very general outline for my longest novel, but mostly I made everything up and ignored it. Maintain focus, know your end goal, and even if you stumble there and take some shortcuts it still counts. Any messiness can be improved in future drafts.
+ Please review my Ask Policy before sending in your ask. Thank you!
+ If you benefit from my updates and replies, please consider sending a little thank you and Buy Me A Coffee!
+ HEY, Writers! other social media: Pinterest - Wattpad - AO3 - Goodreads
JOURNAL PROMPTS TO HELP YOU MANIFEST YOUR DREAM 2021 ✨🔮
30 DAY CHALLENGE
Remember your mind will believe what you tell it! Many people are still skeptic about manifestation, journalling and visualisation but I’m telling you I’ve done just that -and a little more to create the reality I’m currently living, my world is not exactly how I would want it to be, but I’ve done a whole 360 from being depression, suffering with major anxiety and panic attacks, we are most certainly getting there. ￼The truth is there is power in writing things down, and I want to introduce you to the idea of future self journalling! Especially for 2021, it’s important that we keep or mental in a healthy and positive place daily...
How have I been feeling lately?
What is one thing from 2020 that I am proud of?
What and whom am I grateful for?
What behaviours do I need to change or replace in order to become my higher self/ future self?
How will these behaviour changes impact my life?
This year (2020) I overcame...
The nicest thing I did for someone in 2020 was...?
What does a ideal day look like for me in 2021
If money wasn’t a issue what would you do right now?
What can I let go off? What is no longer serving me?
How will I feel once I let go of certain things?
What are you ready to receive?
What does 2021 me look like and feel like?
What is something you haven’t done yet that you want to do?
What kind of people will I be attracting into my life in 2021?
Who or what do I need to give more attention too?
What can I do for my body that it would love.
What does a place of peace look like for me? (Write about all your senses)
For the year of 2021I will be earning
For the year of 2021 I will be .......
I declare ......
The word of 2021....
A quote for 2021
The colour of 2021 will be and why...
What 4 thing will you do to push yourself out of your comfort zone in the year of 2021
What’s one hobby I will take up this year?
A book, subject I’m planning to read or learn more about?
One thing I wishing will happen but mite not happen this year....
Places I would like to visit?
What are my personal goals and intentions for the year of 2021
" '...would you consider the 1980s to be historical fiction?' "
"You're gonna hate this, but the 1980s is absolutely historical fiction. So I was a kid in the '80s, and back then I thought that World War II was like the oldest thing in the world, but guess what? When I was a kid, WWII was 40 years earlier. For kids today, the 1980s is 40 years earlier.
Here, I'll do another one! When I was a kid I thought that like hippies, 1960s people, Woodstock were like totally ancient history, right? For kids today, that's Y2K. That's how long ago that was; 9/11.
I work in children's books, so I mean I deal with this a lot, and I recently sold a book set in 2005...that is historical fiction.
If your target audience wasn't born, it's historical fiction. Sorry?"