my ozai’s angels original art!!
I have an angsty podfic for one of my all time favorite angsty stories by one of my all time favorite writers (you know who you are, Angst Queen, you). I could legitimately release it.
But, in all honesty: I hate how it turned out. I recorded it months ago, got it all made up…. Only to listen to it this morning and realize two important things:
1. I have gotten better at my readings. No seriously, a few months can make a world of a difference. In some ways, this was kinda cool, but also sucky, because I wish I had listened last week and found the time to record it before this morning. So, inspiration meets bad timing.
2. My soundbending has evidently improved as well. I still have things I’m working on, (i.e. better volume leveling is top of my list currently) but no longer do voices sound tinny, distant or muffled (at least, not as bad as this was…. *shudder*)
So while today was disappointing, and I won’t be able to publish it and be happy, I’m already in the process of rerecording it. I will release it, but but it probably won’t be this week since I have to finish up editing our serial. Please keep an eye here though. I’m excited to share it with you….
… when it sounds better.
Some fire nation kiddos because they are the coolest 🔥
I don’t usually do digital art (I don’t even have a pen lol) but it’s fun to practice… also my art style is very inconsistent lol what’s new
I think both of them have both daddy and mommy issues but those issues don’t really fit either of those complex IMO.
Since Zuko’s issues with his dad persist even after his parents’s seperation and Azula’s issue with her mom persist even after said seperation too.
But then again, I’m not an expert so I might be wrong.
Thanks for the ask ^^
no nuance november — avatar: the last airbender edition
i stole this from tiktok, i just wanna drop my avatar hot takes
- suki is the strongest non-bender.
- and yes, she’s stronger than ty lee.
- zuko is the weakest bender in team avatar. and that’s okay! his entire character is built off of the fact that he isn’t an extraordinary firebender.
- a season 4 is not necessary. the show had a very clear series arc (master the elements & defeat the fire lord) and had a satisfying ending because it finished when it did. it’s one of the most well made shows of all time, a fourth season would’ve been a cash grab and ruined that.
- guys the show is 15 years old. please let zutara vs kataang go.
- actually, ATLA ship wars in general are pointless. romance was never the main focus of avatar, it was characterisation and plot development.
- not every villain needs a redemption arc, azula included. zuko’s arc spanned 3 seasons, was fully developed and he paid for his mistakes every minute - there’s a reason it’s known as the greatest in TV history. an azula redemption would’ve been rushed and sloppy. she deserves therapy but not a full arc.
- iroh is more to blame for how azula turned out than ursa. she was a victim of abuse, he wasn’t.
- katara would wipe the floor with zuko in a fight
and she DID! ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS!and he 100% agrees.
- toph vs katara and toph vs azula are the only fights which are a complete toss up. i literally cannot tell you who would win.
- people say toph would easily win against katara but it totally depends on circumstances. imagine: they’re in a wooden box, no full moon. katara has her water pouch, toph has a moderate amount of rocks. who’s winning? YOU CAN’T TELL!!
- in a fight to the death between iroh and ozai, ozai would win. iroh is extremely moral and even after everything ozai’s done, iroh would still hesitate to kill his brother. ozai, however, would jump at the chance to attempt murder against yet another family member.
- the final agni kai has the best music in the entire franchise.
- jet gets a lot of hate but he was such a necessary character to show the consequences of being kid caught up in the war.
- if it wasn’t for mai all your favs would be dead. put some respect on her name.
- people only hate mai because they don’t relate to her and she ended up with their crush (and a reminder that she’s not a heartless bitch. she does have emotions, she just doesn’t express them.)
- you’re allowed to dislike a ship simply because it’s not your taste, but don’t claim that characters are toxic and abusive when they’re not.
- except tyzula. that’s actually a toxic/abusive relationship. (they’re cute in au’s but it’s good that they weren’t canon)
but azula defo had unrequited feelings
- mai lee >>> tyzula
- jin and zuko were not “perfect for each other” like so many people say. she knew absolutely nothing about him and they had no chemistry because zuko was lying the whole time. it was a cute short but that’s it.
and start whining to their parents until Ozai goes: “shut up Azula.” And Ursa goes: “Zuko, you’re hurting my feelings.” So 🔥 sibs take out their anger on each other for a while before they realise: “hey wait a sec, if our parents got married it’s a lose-lose situation so why don’t we team up and make sure that doesn’t happen.” Cue some wacky hijinks of reluctantly teamed up Zuko and Azula trying to sabotage their parents relationship. 2/2
The ‘ “Zuko, you’re hurting my feelings.” ‘ part made me laught a lot XD.
I like your idea, especialy since it’s zucest which mean that Zuko and Azula get the brilliant idea of ‘Hey, our parents won’t get back together if we fuck each other!’ at some point.
A quick question tho, how can they not stand each other if they haven’t interacted since their parents’s divorce?
Thanks for the ask and nice AU ^^
Nice that we agree on Ty Lee.
Your idea with Zhao now make me imagine Zuko just walking around and just constantly encountering distant family members, both during his exil and when he comes back, like the dude with the Yuyan archers is his fourth cousin on his mother’s side and stuff like that XD.
Thanks for the ask ^^
It would be funny because it could very easily turn into a ‘nobody cares, Grandpa’ like when Abe visit Homer’s family in the simpson.
Since Azulon hasn’t been firelord in years, has long passed down the crown and is seen as dead.
Especialy since Zuko and Azula would probably be overly absorbed in their fight.
Thanks for the ask ^^
Mai chose untangling her best friend’s braid over continuing to sit with her boyfriend and you’re gonna call her straight?
Watching Legend of Korra S1 E10 when General Iroh II speaks
its so funny when people comment uwu take this out of the zutara tag uwu when people talk how the southern raiders episode and zuko taking the lightning hit for katara should not be interpreted as romantic gestures bc it just undermines the actual meaning behind these acts and each characters growth
nothing about this statement is inherently anti zutara, they just spin it that way bc they cant see beyond their own ship
The titular character in ATLA is one of the worst written characters on the show and as an actual character is not as good as a large part of the fandom likes to portray him. He is a character who remains stagnant throughout the show for the most part and who shows time and time again he is not above being selfish and doing what it takes to get what he wants. He is also shown being dismissive of his frineds.
The Southern Air Temple: In this episode we get two instances where Aang shows his true colors. The first is when we find out he used Katara and Sokka’s food to start their fire… How racist is that? Not to mention disrespectful of them. He should have at minimum asked them if he could use it but I truly believe he knew it was food and was telling them something and it’s not the first time we see him disrespect South Pole food. He does so later in the Bato episode. The second time we see this is when Sokka offers to play airball with Aang. Not only does Aang accept knowing Sokka has no way of being equal to him but he keeps hitting him and knocking him off time and time again and he never shows concern for his friend. A friend who has sacrificed his life at home to be there for him.
Jet: I will admit here that Katara dismissed Sokka’s concerns about Jet, but siblings are like that sometimes. But Aang should have trusted his friend over a stranger. He should have trusted the boy who left his home to help him learn how to be The Avatar, the boy who was there with him on this journey. But he also dismissed Sokka and didn’t believe him until it slapped him in the face.
Bato of the Water Tribe: This episode is another where we see Aang not be sunshine boi. He gets jealous when Katara and Sokka reuinite with someone they are close with, who they have not seen in more than two years. He acts like a petulant child and shows so much disrespect toward their culture and cuisine. Its disgusting and then, the most infamous scene of all, when he hides the letter from Sokka and Katara’s father. The father they have not seen in two years. And he does so until he gets found out. Which means he was never going to tell them about it.
By now you might bring up that this is early season stuff and not later in the show.
Bitter Work: We see Aang ignore the fact Sokka is wedged in the ground and cannot get out. He won’t get Toph who is the only person who can get the boy out and to make things worse he hangs out with Sokka and complains about the tough day he’s bad, while his friend is still stuck. Never once does he show actual concern fro the boy.
The Library/The Dessert: He blames Toph for losing Appa when she saved their lives AND tried to help Appa. But she was one girl, blind, who couldn’t see in the sand and still did her best. And what thanks does she get for it? None. What apology does she get after? None. Then in The Dessert we see Aang lash out at Katara. We see him snap at the person trying to keep everyone together and safe and he never apologizes to her either. He is also more than willing to kill creatures and other people (but is stopped by Katara before he can do the latter). This is the boy who claims he’s a pacifist monk who could never take another life.
The Western Air Temple: He refused to accept Zuko’s apology and welcome him in when he needed Zuko. He didn’t listen to Toph when she gave a valid reason why Zuko needed to be given a chance. This is someone who claims forgiveness but yet he doesn’t show it in this episode.
The Firebending Masters: Disguises an insult as a compliment to Zuko and does so like it’s nothing.
The Southern Raiders: He compares the loss of his pet to the loss of Katara’s mother. He tries to shame Katara. He calls her a murder with less words. He shoves his beliefs down her throat instead of supporting her. Then pats himself on the back when she comes back having spared the life of the man who killed her mother.
The Ember Island Players: We see more of Aang’s shittiness. Not only does he try to lay his claim on Katara by asking Zuko to move over, he kisses her without consent and never apologizes.Leading up to that he was mad at her and Zuko for things said in a play, that they had no influence over. This boy acted like they were already in a relationship and treated his friends like they were in the wrong, when they had no obligation to him if they were together or not (which they actually weren’t!).
Sozin’s Comet P1: Aang gets mad at all his friends for trying to help him. They tell him what he needs to do and he snaps at them because of it. He does this knowing he has to do what he has to do.
None of this sounds like the sweet innocent boy he claims to be, that the fandom claim him to be. This sounds like someone who is deeply possessive and selfish.
But that’s not where it ends. We see Aang’s selfishness in his refusal to bend his beliefs. He will put them and his own wants before the needs of the world. He does so in the very last episode (counting Sozin’s comet as one episode).He runs away from his friends and goes through four past Avatar’s advice and dismisses it all. He doesn’t want to hear that he needs to put others before himself.
So Aang starts the show running away. He ran away and because of it his people were killed. He ran away because he was too immature to face the truth and in the end he was still immature to face the truth. This after all the times he goofed off and refused to take things seriously. He had so much to learn in one summer and he spent most of that time being silly and childish. He spent a large part of it doing what he wanted instead of what the world needed.
And even at the end of the show, the comics show he still hadn’t grown much if at all. He was willing to kill Zuko. He cut off his connection to Roku while having a tantrum. He showed was inconsiderate of Katara’s feelings when he met the Air Acolytes which yet again shows who and what he will put first. Katara has to change his mind more than once by pointing out how certain decisions will effect THEM, or more importantly, HIM. And he was unwilling to move with the times and accept change. To the point he wanted to end some very good things for the people.
Then you have Legend of Korra. Which shows what happens when the selfish person gets what they want. Their true colors show more and they favor one kid over the others. Aang didn’t just favor Tenzin because he was the youngest. He favored his precious little Air Nomad and didn’t pass along his beliefs and customs to his other kids despite all of them being part Air Nomad, They all had him as a father. It wasn’t their fault they were born without airbending.
How these creators could not see the flaws in writing a titular character who doesn’t grow and develop. The self insert is one thing. But they made a grossly unlikable character remain the same in the legacy of both shows. This character shows racist, abusive behavior. He is shown to be selfish. He is shown to be childish despite being needed. He is shown to have more respect for his own culture than the culture of others. And he claims to be pacifist when it is very clear when angry or when it works for him, he can toss the pacifism out for the hell of it.
I tried doing drawing requests a while back, only ever finished these two :/ But for you Zuko/Catra stands, here you go 😳