It’s happening again in the Dear Evan Hansen movie with the role of Alana Beck. All the actresses who’ve played her have been dark skinned and heres the Original Broadway Actress:
Also if you wanna go a little further back My Wife and Kids replaced Jazz Raycole with Jennifer Freeman. In fact, for the promotion of the show after the new Clare was cast, they didn’t even bother shooting new pictures; they just put Jennifer’s head on Jazz’s body.
And they cast Amandla Stenberg in the movie
the internet is so cursed, when people look back on the history of covid-19 it’s going to look so different from the history of the plague because we will have left a trace of quarantine playlists all featuring toxic by brittany spears
That is why Toxic becomes an ancient earth ballad.
I can’t believe Doctor Who predicted this in 2005.
x: a variable used to represent something unknown.
We’ve seen an influx of questions about how to write stories based around characters of color, disability, non-binary, etc. when the author does not fall into these categories. Rather than have these posts take over the site, we’ve decided to compile a list of resources to help our fellow writers become more educated about writing what they do not immediately know. However, this list is not the end-all-be-all of knowledge; one should always try to learn from someone with first hand experience in any topic. The world is constantly growing and changing, and because of that, there will always be more to learn. The admins at Plotline Hotline want to help writers form respectful, informed, and realistic characters that broaden the narrow range we see in literature today.
*Be wary that some of the topics listed below contain sensitive material. Reader discretion is advised.*
As always, the links I found to be especially apt will be in bold. Topics are listed alphabetically, excepting the “other” section.
Social Security Disability: List of Impairments, Medical Conditions, and Problems [List] (United States)
Writing Blind Characters [List]
Diversity Book List [List][Books]
The Spoon Theory - Also pertains to disibility
Neurotype (Including Mental Health)
Overview of Gay and Lesbian Parenting, Adoption and Foster Care (United States)
I hope that this list will provide topics a writer may not initially think to research when writing. If there are any resources that you think would be fitting for this list, please let us know! We want to have as many helpful sources as possible to maximize learning opportunities.
- A Study In Physical Injury
- Medical Facts And Tips For Your Writing Needs
- Broken Bones
- Unconsciousness & Head Trauma
- Blood Loss
- Stab Wounds
- Pain & Shock
- All About Mechanical Injuries (Injuries Caused By Violence)
Writing Specific Characters
- Portraying a kleptomaniac.
- Playing a character with cancer.
- How to portray a power driven character.
- Playing the manipulative character.
- Portraying a character with borderline personality disorder.
- Playing a character with Orthorexia Nervosa.
- Writing a character who lost someone important.
- Playing the bullies.
- Portraying the drug dealer.
- Playing a rebellious character.
- How to portray a sociopath.
- How to write characters with PTSD.
- Playing characters with memory loss.
- Playing a pyromaniac.
- How to write a mute character.
- How to write a character with an OCD.
- How to play a stoner.
- Playing a character with an eating disorder.
- Portraying a character who is anti-social.
- Portraying a character who is depressed.
- How to portray someone with dyslexia.
- How to portray a character with bipolar disorder.
- Portraying a character with severe depression.
- How to play a serial killer.
- Writing insane characters.
- Playing a character under the influence of marijuana.
- Tips on writing a drug addict.
- How to write a character with HPD.
- Writing a character with Nymphomania.
- Writing a character with schizophrenia.
- Writing a character with Dissociative Identity Disorder.
- Writing a character with depression.
- Writing a character who suffers from night terrors.
- Writing a character with paranoid personality disorder.
- How to play a victim of rape.
- How to play a mentally ill/insane character.
- Writing a character who self-harms.
- Writing a character who is high on amphetamines.
- How to play the stalker.
- How to portray a character high on cocaine.
- Playing a character with ADHD.
- How to play a sexual assault victim.
- Writing a compulsive gambler.
- Playing a character who is faking a disorder.
- Playing a prisoner.
- Portraying an emotionally detached character.
- How to play a character with social anxiety.
- Portraying a character who is high.
- Portraying characters who have secrets.
- Portraying a recovering alcoholic.
- Portraying a sex addict.
- How to play someone creepy.
- Portraying sexually/emotionally abused characters.
- Playing a character under the influence of drugs.
- Playing a character who struggles with Bulimia.
- Examining Mob Mentality
- How Street Gangs Work
- Domestic Abuse
- Internet Fraud
- Computer Viruses
- Corporate Crime
- Political Corruption
- Drug Trafficking
- Human Trafficking
- Sex Trafficking
- Illegal Immigration
- Contemporary Slavery
Black Market Prices & Profits
- AK-47 prices on the black market
- Computer Hackers and Online Fraud
- Contract Killing
- Exotic Animals
- Fake Diplomas
- Fake ID Cards, Passports and Other Identity Documents
- Human Smuggling Fees
- Human Traffickers Prices
- Kidney and Organ Trafficking Prices
- Prostitution Prices
- Cocaine Prices
- Ecstasy Pills Prices
- Heroin Prices
- Marijuana Prices
- Meth Prices
- Earnings From Illegal Jobs
- Countries In Order Of Largest To Smallest Risk
- Blood Analysis
- Book Review
- Cause & Manner of Death
- Computers/Cell Phones/Electronics
- Cool & Odd-Mostly Odd
- Corpse Identification
- Corpse Location
- Crime and Science Radio
- crime lab
- Crime Scene
- Cults and Religions
- Document Examination
- Fingerprints/Patterned Evidence
- Firearms Analysis
- Forensic Anthropology
- Forensic Art
- Forensic Dentistry
- Forensic History
- Forensic Psychiatry
- General Forensics
- Guest Blogger
- High Tech Forensics
- Interesting Cases
- Interesting Places
- Medical History
- Medical Issues
- Multiple Murderers
- On This Day
- Poisons & Drugs
- Police Procedure
- serial killers
- Space Program
- Stupid Criminals
- Time of Death
@eluvisen what timing for this to pop up on my dash! 8D
@scorpio-skies I’ll say!
Why the hell is PTSD included here? Or trauma???? This is so ableist, our mental illnesses aren’t ‘sketchy topics’, they are real disorders that affect milions of people (mostly women, despite what media will tell you). Shut up about including PTSD on taboo topic lists, this is fucked up.