“I think a lot about queer villains, the problem and pleasure and audacity of them. I know I should have a very specific political response to them. I know, for example, I should be offended by Disney’s lineup of vain, effete, ne'er-do-wells (Scar, Jafar), sinister drag queens (Ursula, Cruelle de Vil), and constipated, man-hating power dykes (Lady Tremaine, Maleficent). I should be furious at Downton Abbey’s scheming gay butler and Girlfriend’s controlling lunatic lesbian, and I should be indignant about Rebecca and Strangers on a Train and Laura and The Terror and All About Eve, and every other classic and contemporary foppish, conniving, sissy, cruel, humorless, depraved, evil, insane homosexual on the large and small screen. And yet, while I recognize the problem intellectually–the system of coding, the way villainy and queerness become a kind of shorthand for each other–I cannot help but love these fictional queer villains. I love them for all of their aesthetic lushness and theatrical glee, their fabulousness, their ruthlessness, their power. They’re always by far the most interesting characters on the screen. After all, they live in a world that hates them. They’ve adapted; they’ve learned to conceal themselves. They’ve survived.”
“Dream House as Queer Villainy” from In The Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado
PETITIONS TO SIGN‼️
if you can’t take direct action but still want to support the black lives matter movement, here are some petitions to help you do so:
- Justice for George Floyd
- Color of Change: #JusticeforBre: Police officers who killed Breonna Taylor must be FIRED
- Justice for Breonna Taylor
- Julius Jones is innocent. Don’t let him be executed by the state of Oklahoma.
- Hands Up Act
- Justice for Ahmaud Arbery
- Justice for Tony McDade
- Justice for Belly Mujinga
- Willie Simmons has served 38 years for a $9 robbery.
- Abolish Prison Labor in the USA
- We Demand Justice for Sheku Bayoh, We Demand to Know the TRUTH.
- Wis. Teen Face Life in Prison for Killing Man Who Allegedly Raped Her and Sold Her for Sex
- NATIONAL ACTION AGAINST POLICE BRUTALITY! PROSECUTE POLICE WHO MURDERED UNARMED INDIVIDUALS!
- Justice for Amari Boone
- Justice for Tamir Rice
- Justice for Crystal Mason
- Justice for Amiya Braxton
- Justice for Sean
- Justice for Rashad Cunningham
- Justice for Elijah Nichols
- Justice for Andile Mchunu (Bobo)
- Dismiss the charges on Marchae Jones and charge the one who shot her and her unborn baby
- Justice for Emerald Black
- Justice for Shukri Abdi
Aida 14. You can easily adjust the colours (i did, this is from a leftover floss). It’d look very nice on a shirt or a hoodie as well.