A cropped screenshot of Techno’s twitter likes, which shows a tweet by echo 📌 FUNDY AND WILBUR FANART @/echolocati0n. It reads “c!niki when c!wilbur pulls up”. Attached is a photo of Niki in a sweater and sports shorts holding an assault rifle in her arms. In the background behind her is a tank in front of some low trees and a dusty hill.
A cropped screenshot of a tweet by TommyInnit @/tommyinnit that was quote retweeted by Logan Paul @/LoganPaul with a reply by tommy again as well as Wilbur Soot @/WilburSoot and Ph1LzA @/Ph1LzA.
Tommy’s tweet reads “I’ve grown a beard. Who you calling “Child” now, Bitch”. Attached are 2 photos of Tommy, who is now sporting a scratchy looking beard.
Logan Paul’s quote retweet consists of the Spider-Man pointing meme.
Tommy’s reply reads “Logan you are my Big brother. no on else. lets do coke”.
Wilbur’s reply consists of a gif of his face staring down at the camera. The embedded alt text reads “Wilbur Soot looks down, an air of condescending disappointment hangs on his expression like an unwanted guest”.
A photo of Condi, Charlie and Bizly sitting at a table, which is covered in the front by a woven fishing net. Behind them is a wooden wall with a barrel, a candelabra and a lantern in the background. Several more lengths of rope are hung around various places, including a thick ship rope. Condi and Bizly and looking vaguely toward the area between them where Charlie sits, excitedly yelling at the camera and seemingly taking a photo with his phone, which he is holding aloft. On the table in front of the three are some wooden mugs, a candle in a small tin jug and Charlie’s signature enormous blue water bottle with the Slime Story sticker.
[ID] A digital painting referencing Vermeer’s Girl With A Pearl earring, which has replaced the subject with Uhura from Strange New Worlds, and the green earrings Uhura is known for wearing in Star Trek TOS. A watermark in the corner reads M.H [End ID]
it occurs to me that people might not know this (as far as I know, this is only a Beta option right now) but this is helpful for anyone who uses image ID. since I figured this out, I've started preemptively doing this to every picture I upload, though of course that means that the image's description isn't visibly in the post/caption which means no one realizes I've actually already described the thing but anyway
so here I am uploading a photo onto tumblr, as you do
I'm going to click on the little dots in the bottom right hand corner, which pulls up "update image description," which pulls up a box.
And now I can put my description in the box.
Having the description actually attached to the image, so the image description isn't out of order in a post
Actually being part of Tumblr's code instead of an ad hoc thing added to a post
Something that really pisses me off is the litany of ableist issues found in subtitles. So, let's talk about 3 huge issues that need to stop.
Subtitles should never ever say [Speaking -language-]
When a hearing person is watching a TV show, or a stream, if someone starts speaking another language, if that hearing person knows that language, they will get to know what the person said, regardless of if the average viewer knows that foreign language.
Deaf and HOH viewers deserve the same opportunity, and to rob them of that opportunity by putting [speaking -language-] in the subtitles is ableist.
Every word spoken in a show or movie, unless given translated subtitles in the uncaptioned version of the show or movie, should have every word captioned exactly as it's spoken. If someone starts speaking Spanish, the words spoken in Spanish should be subtitled in Spanish. If someone starts speaking German, the words spoken in German should be subtitled in German.
When a show or movie is created, if you want a character to speak a foreign language, you get an actor who can speak that language. When you hire someone to transcribe a show into subtitles, your hire someone who can speak the languages spoken in the show, or you have them mark points where a foreign language speaker will need to assist and then have someone who speaks that language add in the parts that the transcriptionist can't.
Subtitles should never be cut short for convenience
This is something I see constantly. Shows and movies will frequently cut out words or even large chunks of a sentence from the subtitles to make the subtitles shorter.
When you remove descriptive words, parts of a sentence, or even whole sentences to cut down on the amount of subtitles in a given segment, you are completely changing the attitude, mood, and expression of those sentences. You can completely ruin all of the implicit feelings in a sentence if you remove words that show feelings or the way a person phrases things.
It is not your moral right, as a company or transcriptionist, to decide that deaf or HOH viewers shouldn't get the original phrasing.
I am not deaf or HOH. I have APD and have to use subtitles to keep up with what's being said, or I won't process it fast enough. Because of that, I get to see all of the ways subtitles deviate from the original wording all the time. This isn't an issue that just happens here and there. It happens in pretty much every episode of every show I've watched. And it's unacceptable.
Even if we ignore the way this impacts the intent of a sentence, this is ableist by its nature. When subtitles are made, they are made to fill the gap in a deaf or HOH person's TV experience. When you don't accurately fill that gap, or fill it partway, or half ass it, you are cutting corners on a disability aid. It's like if you sold someone a wheelchair with the wheels not pumped with enough air, or giving someone a hearing aid with damaged battery capacity.
When deaf or HOH people watch TV or movies and they use subtitles, they are relying on those subtitles to give them the most accurate wording possible. So why are companies directing or allowing their transcriptionists to half ass or cut down their subtitles? Every piece of media should be having its subtitles checked for accuracy before they're approved, and subtitles that cut corners should be amended before a show with subtitles is published or aired.
Subtitles should never censor words that aren't censored in audio
If a show or movie has swearing in it, of any kind, the subtitles should accurately depict what is happening audibly. If the audio has swear words censored, the subtitles should depict the noise - or lack thereof - that is used to censor the word. Subtitles should never be censored when the audio isn't.
Not only does this touch on the same issue from the last section, it's also ableist in another way. Not only are you giving deaf and HOH people a different experience than hearing people, you're also infantilizing them by disallowing them from hearing swear words that hearing viewers can hear.
Deaf and HOH adults are not children. They have just as much right to read the word "fuck" as a hearing person does to hear it. Censoring subtitles is disrespectful, ableist, and infantilizing and it needs to stop.
Make a change
I'm not familiar with the details of the ADA and how it regards subtitles, but if anyone would like to work with me to do something about this, I would really like to fight for subtitles to have more regulation.
If the ADA prohibits inaccurate subtitles, we should be reporting companies like Netflix who constantly provide inaccurate subtitles. If it doesn't, we should be fighting to amend the ADA to include regulations for subtitle accuracy.
Anyone who's researched this before or who knows more about it than I do, please tell me what you know or give me some sources I can look into myself. I would research from scratch but I'm disabled and don't have a lot of spoons for it, which is why I'd like to work together with others.
henry ward beecher / tell me no secrets by joy fielding / greif by barbera crooker / anne of green gables by l.m. montgomery / the love of october in “migration: new & selected poems” by w.s. merwin (@rilke) / two octobers by richmond lattimore / october by bobbi katz / something wicked this way comes by ray bradbury / a word for autmn by a.a. milne / october by robert frost
(image ids under the cut)
(1) "October is nature's funeral month. Nature glories in death more than in life. The / month of departure is more beautiful than the month of coming - October than May. / Every green thin loves to die in bright colors"
(2) "October was always the least dependable of months ... full of ghosts and / shadows."
(3) "Yes, the October sunlight wraps me / in its yellow shawl, and the air is sweet / as a golden Tokay"
(4) "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped / from September to November, wouldn't it?"
(5) "Circle of gold on gold the year is kind / enough to bind / October on October and the ghost / of a touch lost"
(6) "October is / when night guzzles up / the orange sherbet sunset / and sends the day / to bed / before supper / and / October is when jack-o’-lanterns / grin in the darkness / and / strange company crunches / across the rumple of dry leaves / to ring a doorbell. October is / when you can be ghost, / witch, / a creature from outer space… / almost anything! / And the neighbors, fearing tricks, / give you treats."
(7) "First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys."
(8) "Oh hushed October morning mild, / The leaves have ripened to the fall; / Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild / Should waste them all."
(9) "The of summer is not the end of the world. Here's to october"
[ID: a redraw of a meme comic with Hunter and Amity from the Owl House, in the episode Eclipse Lake. In the first frame Amity is texting Luz, and Luz sends the word gay in emojis. Hunter is tied up and is looking over Amitys shoulder while she glares at them, Hunter is saying "What is that - is that your fucking girlfriend? - thats cringe." Then amity turns to them and yells "You're cringe!!!!!". The next frame is just Hunter, looking contemplative and sad. The last frame is Hunter later at home, crying violently while looking in a mirror and gripping the table in front of it. end ID]
A cropped screenshot of a tweet by Phil From Halo 2 @/PhilFromHalo2. It reads “me when fundy asks "why did you die?"” Attached is a gif of a man sipping a glass of water while looking off to the side in a somewhat baffled way.
A cropped screenshot of a twitter thread by sophietexas @/sophietexas_.
The first tweet reads “yeah my minecraft builds are pretty simple, nothing too crazy”. Attached is a Minecraft screenshot of a build depicting a T-posing moth man with chiseled abs and pecs over a pit of lava.
The second tweet reads “wilbur���s reply was just “no.”” Attached is a cropped screenshot of a Discord conversation between SophieTexas and Techno. It reads:
Techno: he’s got forks for limbs what crime did he commit to be cursed like that
Sophie: unspeakable ones i also filled him full of bees
The words, "late night reminders" written in gold block letters and "for when your brain is being mean to you" written in smaller white block letters underneath. Under that, there are six drawings with text under each one, 3 in each row:
a crescent moon with "you are deserving of love." Beside, there's a cloud with "everyone doesn't hate you." Beside that, there are 3 "z"s indicating sleep with "you are capable of so much." The second row contains stars with "what you are seeking will come to you," a planet with "what others did to you isn't your fault," and the big dipper constellation with "you aren't a failure."
i see you, person who requested kiwi jon <3 they are together at last
[ID: A digital drawing of Jonathan Sims and Martin Blackwood from The Magnus Archives. Jon is a medium brown-skinned person with greying black hair, a beard, circular scars around their face, and green eyes, and Martin is a pale-skinned person with pink hair, some stubble, freckles, and blue eyes. Jon is dressed in a brown button-down under a white jumper that shifts into kiwi green at the lower half of the skirt, with a brown border and black seeds at the start of the kiwi green, and has square glasses and kiwi earrings. Martin is dressed in a light blue button-down under a pink apron with a chest pocket, and has round glasses and blue barrettes. Jon has green shoes/pants, while Martin's are pink. To the left of the image, Jon is smiling at the viewer with their left arm curled towards their chest, and in the bottom right of the image are chibi versions of the pair holding hands and blushing happily at each other. Behind them are pictures of kiwis and strawberries, and the words, "KIWI JON!!" in green text. /End ID]
poem beginning and ending with my death by zeina hashem beck // memory of water by reina maria rodriguez // a girl ago by lucy brock-broido // marta alvarado, history professor by marjorie agosin // mosiac by tim seibles // the bones of august by robin ekiss // peggy tony horton // september by deborah landau // september by h stuart // angel of repose by wallace stegner
[image id: 1) "I loved September best: / without fail, rain—the clear illusionist— / fell on the first day of school, always brought / the earth with it: the soil's fragrance rose raw / even in the alley."
2) "september is a month like any other and unlike any other. it seems in september everything awaited / will arrive: in the calm air, in a particular scent, in the stillness of the quay. when september comes, / i know i'm going to lose myself."
3) "Extinguish me from this. / I was sixteen for twenty years. By September I will be a ghost"
4) "In September / beyond the / breezes and the smoke / when autumn unveils its / fiery shell, / I think of you / fragile and severe, / small and immense"
5) "September: / the spiked fence freshly painted."
6) "not to carry the bones of August / into September, foiled with redness / and nothing to squander"
7) "Ah, September! You are the doorway to the season that awakens my soul... but I must confess that I love you / only because you are a prelude to my beloved October"
8) "Meanwhile August moved inward its impervious finale. / A mood by the river. Gone. One lucid rush carrying them along. // Borderless and open the days go on—"
9) "'The dark brown Inners brim / From little lake to lake, / Rustle and fall in slim / Streams down the mossy side / Of stone, while dim ferns shake / Their level spread of leaf, / Dust-grey beneath the wide / Cold light that these days take, / Gathering the calm grief / Into the face of the skies / Out of the heart-ache / The mortal heart denies."
10) "That old September feeling, left over from school days, of summer passing, / vacation nearly done, obligations gathering, books and football in the air ... / Another fall, another turned page: there was something of jubilee in that annual / autumnal beginning, as if last year's mistakes had been wiped clean by summer."