before coming across adhd i never knew 'not being able to understand your emotions' is a adhd thing..now that i know..it suddenly hit me so hard recently..after this one thing...i still dont really understand why as if so many emotions have come together and is a fucking mess...ik and idk at the same time idek actually what tf-
people don’t talk enough about the weird grief that will randomly hit you when you have ADHD. for a good stretch of time I am so happy that I have answers about why I am the way that I am, and then I’m hit with an avalanche of “I don’t know how to do this” and “fuck, this is the way that I am, there is no cure.”
I genuinely believe that folks like me are bright and intelligent and passionate and creative and to be celebrated. this week though I just feel like shit that I can’t think “normally”. I’m struggling to make money and I’m frustrated because I know that I could bring so much to the table if I could “apply myself” the way that NTs can. I’m trying so hard, and the rejection is painful.
my head feels full of static. I have all of this energy in my body but I can’t move. I’m a musician and a birth worker and a writer and creator. I know this. just today I feel like I’m not much at all if I can’t do anything with that information.
PEOPLE WITH ADHD WHO HAVE ONLINE CLASS I HAVE JUST DISCOVERED A BREAKTHROUGH IN FOCUSING TECHNOLOGY:
This extension lets you doodle on any webpage just like you would doodle on a piece of paper in class to focus. I just added it to my chrome and it's been a godsend. I watched an 11 minute video on LDAP servers without getting distracted once! I don’t know if other browsers offer this specific app as an extension but I know for sure it’s offered through chrome. I hope this helps other people as much as it’s helped me!
2. separate each task into smaller tasks (ex. Clean room- pick up clothes, fold clothes, put clothes away. Pick up shoes, put shoes away. Get trash bin, put trash in trash bin, put trash bin back.”
3. lie to yourself with the “might as well method” tell yourself you only have to do the very first task like “pick up clothes”, now you’re already in a position to fold (or just put away) the clothes, so “might as well do *insert next step to task here*”
4. Continue using the “might as well method” until all tasks are complete
5. Give yourself a reward (candy, watch a show, play a game)
6. Drink water you dehydrated neurodivergent :)
7. seriously, drink water, you’re gonna die
i also use small timers on my phone to help with the process going faster, like a game. Ex: “how many shirts can i fold before this timer ends?” or “if i don’t put all my shoes away before this timer ends, i’m gonna die”
bitches who are introverted and have adhd see a text and are like ‘i will deal with this when i have the social and emotional energy for it’ and then fucking forget about it for a week. anyway, i’m bitches